website statistics
7 minutes ago, hckosice said:

what the fuck is coastal rowing ?

This is the sprint version from the 2019 Mediterranean Beach Games.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Jur said:

What could have Fencing asked for? Mixed weapon mixed team (lmao) event?

That’s my best guess.

1 minute ago, Jur said:

Any other sport missing?

Golf - My best guess is a Mixed Team event of some nature

Boxing - IOC doesn’t recognize the AIBA, who knows what’s going on there

Rowing - Nothing comes to mind, but if they haven’t made a point of saying that haven’t asked for the inclusion of something, then my conclusion is that they proposed something

Weightlifting - With the chaos at the IWF, who knows

Wrestling - Has definitely made a proposal, probably Beach Wrestling.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, rybak said:

IOC shouldn't add new events so quickly, they should firstly check if this event will be really attractive and competitive. If there are like 4-5 nations which takes this event seriously, it isn't good for me. The IOC and IF's should somehow encourage other countries to participate or help introduce training programs to less "traditional" countries in men's events or two-man women's event first to make this sport more worldwide.

Sound advice falling on deaf ears at this point.

1 minute ago, rybak said:

Yes, but since when women's monobob is held during World Championships or there are World Cup events? It isn't like 2 years?

Women’s Monobob, at the elite level, didn’t exist until the IOC created it. The IBSF proposed women’s 4-man, but the IOC approved women’s monobob. To be honest, I don’t even know how involved the IBSF was in that decision... 

6 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Have we got a full  list of all the proposed new events anywhere on this forum?

Only that list from ITG. The IOC (and IFS) are not required to publicly disclose their proposals.

By the way, female drivers in the 2 woman event are also allowed to compete in monobob at the Beijing Olympics so it won't really attract more drivers to the sport as it was supposed to.

It might help smaller programs like Slovakia, Liechtenstein, etc. though. They just need a decent driver, that’s a lot easier for them to do then fielding good brakewomen.

I think the decision is made tomorrow?

Yes, the IOC EB meets tomorrow, and is scheduled to finalize the sports and event program for Paris 2024 tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, rybak said:

IMO removing/changing "traditional" events isn't good, not mentioning about reducing number of quotas and athletes.

Right, the IOC has implemented some awful polices. Most of the events added to the last coupes Olympics wouldn’t be bad if:

A) Gender equality was achieved by adding women’s events, without reducing the number of men’s events.

B) Quotas weren’t cut to save costs, instead the IOC made institutional changes to decrease costs, lower corruption, and improve the overall world view of the organization.

C) The IOC made the processes for adding sports/disciplines/events more transparent. 

D) The IOC held IFs accountable for issues like corruption, lack of athlete representation, etc.

8 minutes ago, rybak said:

Sorry for my ignorance but what the hell BMX flatland is ?!

Here’s a replay from one of the World Cup stops last year. (Competition starts around 12:00)

BMX Flatland had been around for a while. It’s featured at the Asian Indoor Games, Asian Beach Games, and Southeast Asian Games. I think East Asia/Southeast Asia is where it’s most popular, but there seems to be many European riders as World Cups as well. I’ve only watched Flatland comps/runs a couple of times, so I’m not that familiar with the discipline, so I can’t speak to it much more than that. It’s almost like a cross between urban (park/street) and artistic cycling from the looks of things.

Liam Morgan clarified the UCI’s proposal. They are asking the for edition of BMX Flatland (what he originally wrote as BMX Freestyle).

Here is the ICF’s proposal for Canoe Sprint: 

The men’s and women’s K1 200 will not be contested in Paris.  Under the changes, the men’s K2 1000 and C2 1000 will both become 500 metre events.

There will be K4 500 races for both men and women.  The blue riband events of K1 1000 for men, C1 1000m and K1 500 for women remain unchanged.

The women’s C1 200 and C2 500, which will be raced at an Olympics for the first time next year in Tokyo, remain unchanged for Paris 2024.

Honestly, they should just change W C1 200m to W C1 500m.

I’m not the biggest fan of the K2 and C2 becoming 500m races, but I’m sure there was more pressure from the IOC there.

See, here’s a big change from an original proposal that was floated earlier this year.

FINA said it proposed adding high diving as an exhibition event at the Paris Games, possibly leading into a medal event from 2028 onward. FINA did not propose adding any medal events in swimming or diving for 2024.

First off, I’ll give FINA points for creativity. It’s actually not a bad proposal in my opinion. However, it’s very different from what they originally floated as their proposal. High Diving was going to be a medal event in 2024. They were going to ask the IOC to include the remaining 50m events not currently on the program. There was also some talk about 1m Diving events, and 12 teams women’s water polo, but I don’t think FINA themselves ever pursued that. However, last I heard, FINA is asking the IOC to increase the open water events from 25 swimmers to 30 swimmers for both genders. Again though, that’s not being reported now, so who the hell knows what’s going on with that.

This soap opera is becoming increasingly hard to keep up with.

So clearly, this is one giant mess. The IOC claimed that 20 IFs had proposed new events, and the math on the latest confirmations doesn’t work out. That leads me to believe that some IFs have rescinded their requests. This could have something to do with what the ICF has been faced with. I think many IFs have already been told that they are going to lose quotas no matter what they do. Also, the IOC initially seemed very open to new events, and now seems to be punishing IFs for trying to include them. Also, some of the proposals themselves have changed considerably since they were announced earlier this year, which gives further credence to what I said above.

It doesn’t help that this whole process happens behind close doors, without the consultation of athletes, fans, shareholders, and even many IOC members. It’s also important to note that proposals, reasoning for inclusion/rejection, etc. aren’t required to be public information. This process had led to so much confusion in the last few months. 

The IOC is conducting themselves extremely poorly as of late.

@Gianlu33 I don’t know if we should trust the reporting on Beach Handball just yet. I’m sure it’s true, but I haven’t seen any of the main outlets, who are much more in the loop on this stuff, confirm that yet. Plus, the IOC EB themselves hasn’t made any final decisions.

If we’re taking out races for the addition of cross country, it should absolutely be the 3000m Steeplechase, the event literally invented to replace cross country at the Olympics.

17 minutes ago, dcro said:

Europe sweeps modern pentathlon. Doesn't mean the Olympics need them more than they need the Olympics. ;)

In terms of audience, Europe is just negligable for all these sports. Classic events like alpine skiing and cross-country skiing pull incomparably more interest, from fans and sponsors alike.

I attempted find the viewing statistics by sport for the 2018 Winter Olympics for Europe, but I couldn’t find anything. However, I would imagine that the viewing statistics for Snowboard and Freestyle Skiing at (and outside) the Olympics aren’t “negligible” in Europe. They might (and probably do) fall behind other skiing disciplines, but my guess is that there’s still a fairly large audience for these disciplines in Europe.

I did come across something amusing during my search though. I think I found where the IOC got their event research for the youth demographic from: https://www.theringer.com/2018/2/13/17008578/winter-olympics-sports-categories-rankings

It’s fair to say that this writer wasn’t that impressed by Nordic Combined 

The Nordic combined combines two sports that don’t need to be combined: cross-country skiing and ski jumping. Why would somebody need to be good at both skiing across flat land and elevating off of enormous hills? I don’t know. But somebody decided this convoluted event should be a winter Olympic sport at the first Winter Games in 1924, and, like modern pentathlon at the Summer Games, it’s just kind of stayed there.

Even more baffling, this is the only winter Olympics category in which women do not compete. For some reason, women have been deemed capable of both cross-country and ski jumping, and yet the International Olympic Committee apparently believes that asking them to do both in one event would cause their fragile little female bodies to explode, littering the course with cooties.

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

What? Maybe in America. Europeans don't pay attention to any of this.

Skateboarding is very popular in US, Brazil, Australia, and Japan. We’ve also seen NOCs like Indonesia, Philippines, and Puerto Rico earn medals in the sport at major multi-sports games. Sky Brown is one of the most prominent female skaters at the moment and she’s British. Candy Jacobs out of the Netherlands has been a mainstay on the scene for a while now.

Surfing is also enjoys a wide global audience. French surfers have competed in top tier events in the sports. France has also played host to some of those top tier events. Portugal is known for it’s epic surf spots. 

Surfing and Skateboarding could easily exist outside the Olympics, and have for a long time. In terms of global popularity and audience, there aren’t many sports who could be justified inclusion over them.

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I find it incredibly hard nowadays to judge whether or not posts like these are sarcastic or have some nonsense in them on purpose, or if it's actually reality :lol: 

Someone could say "They're trying to add the 280 meters crawling-under-the-hurdles" and it wouldn't even sound off in between all the stuff that's actually real.

According the reporting I’ve read (from ITG) that is a very real proposal.

12 minutes ago, dcro said:

What? Maybe in America. Europeans don't pay attention to any of this.

Yeah! Europe has no clue about Snowboard and Freestyle Skiing that’s why they have 21 gold medals in Snowboard and 17 gold medals in Freestyle Skiing!

France shunned these sports so hard they hosted 3 Winter X Games Europe events in Tignes from 2010-2012. :p

1 minute ago, rybak said:

So, athletics may have another new event? What this time? Mixed NOC mixed gender 4x333m hurdles relay?

No, it’s a Mixed Cross Country Relay. According to ITG they’ve also asked for the inclusion on the Women’s 50km Walk Race as well.

ITG has confirmed that the following sports did not request additional events for Paris 2024: Archery, badminton, basketball, equestrian, football, hockey, rugby, tennis and volleyball.

Those numbers don’t match the information provided by the IOC originally, so either some have rescinded their requests, or they have requested other changes such as quota additions/reduction.  

Just now, NearPup said:

Good riddance on the 200 events IMO. I just wish they'd replace them with 5000m events rather than that BS kayakcross thing.

I guess I’m in the minority of people who actually like the 200m events. 

4 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

So they removed the traditional 500 m events to bring in the more "hip and exciting" 200 m events, just to have the same removed after only 2-3 Olympics to bring in the next new "hip and exciting" flavor. And people wonder why ICF are a broke, bottom of the barrel federation in the Olympic family (and probably even outside of it).

I don’t know how much of this is the ICF’s fault. They’ve basically been asked/told to accept these changes by the IOC, or face loosing their place on the Olympic program. 

The ICF has it’s faults like every other international sports federation, but I’ve always found the ICF to be one of the better ones. They’ve done a fairly good job of growing the sport the last couple of years. They have a strong World Cup circuit. They broadcast all their major events. I’m not the most familiar with the politics of the ICF, but it seems like they are under good governance. Overall, they’re a solid IF in my opinion.

Canoe has been ever evolving distance wise. Began with 1000m and 10000m races, then 500m races, then 200m races, and now we see the occasional 5000m race at multi-sports games.