website statistics
1 hour ago, phelps said:

c'mon! 12 starters in the Speed Climbing event is a farce! :facepalm:

it will be a lot harder to qualify rather than winning a medal...

14* entries in speed climbing. The IFSC allocated their quota distribution the way I would have suggested. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

31 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

One question regarding shooting. 
there is a sentence which says quota can be obtained only in the final stage of the ISSF championship. 

Does that mean if at some event only athletes who have quota already reach final, there will be no quota allocated? And if yes what happens with that quota?

ok this is not a very realistic scenario, but could happen at the WCH 2023 where 4 quotas are distributed per event, and there will be many good shooters who won quota already. 

There’s nothing that directly handles an oddity like that, but based on the reallocation section it seems likely that the quota would just be allocated using the OROG

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, dcro said:

According to this, "Tripartite Commission Invitation Places" have been officially renamed to "Universality Places".

Love it or hate it?

https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/Documents/News/2021/10/2021-10-08-Qualification-System-Principles-Paris-2024.pdf?_ga=2.129229836.1201290215.1649170497-375143742.1619858130

This is actually what I’m most interested to see. I read the original news about this as a complete revamp of how the IOC handles universality, but the few documents published don’t seem too different from the past system.

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 News
Posted
21 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Im actually looking forward to this. It has potential. We see going to be going from the Worst Olympics in recent memory next year to something extraordinary opening the games in 2024. Can't wait!

Yeah, I was left with a positive outlook on large public opening ceremonies after Buenos Aires 2018. There’s clearly some places to improved, but I’m highly interested in how this idea will turn out.

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

I mean after that TV production fiasco, to say the least, shooting is lucky to stay in the program.

That’s more of an OBS issue than an ISSF issue. If the IOC approached the ISSF with those concerns the ISSF could just show them broadcasts from the 2018 Asian Games, since those were done well and created very compelling television.

4 minutes ago, LDOG said:

How is mixed kiteboarding even possible? It's an individual sport. Or were they planning to make women compete against men?

The original proposal was a “mixed kiteboard relay.” I never saw the planned format of the event though.

33 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Is there any difference in a team event or will they just take the time of the 4th fastest person (or combined the time of the four people). Like at least with relays there is a baton pass.

There’s no set format as of yet. The finalized format will be presented to the IOC EB at their December 2021 meeting.

A few pages back @intoronto posted the quota cuts from Tokyo 2020 to Paris 2024, but I came across a table depicting the same info from Rio 2016 to Tokyo 2020 today, so I thought it’d be interesting to look at the quota cuts from Rio 2016 to Paris 2024.

Aquatics: -80 quotas (Swimming: -48 quotas, Water Polo: -18 quotas, Artistic Swimming: -8 quotas, Open Water Swimming: -6 quotas)

Athletics: -195 quotas 

Basketball: +64 quotas (Basketball 3x3: +64 quotas)

Boxing: -34 quotas 

Canoeing: -10 quotas (Canoe Sprint: -10 quotas)

Cycling: -15 quotas (Mountain Bike: -8 quotas, Road Cycling: -31 quotas, BMX Freestyle: +24 quotas)

Gymnastics: -6 quotas (Artistic Gymnastics: -4 quotas, Rhythmic Gymnastics: -2 quotas)

Judo: -14 quotas

Rowing: -48 quotas 

Sailing: -50 quotas

Shooting: -50 quotas

Weightlifting: -132 quotas

Wrestling: -56 quotas 

Looks like World Sailing will propose gendered 470 events as the preferred alternative to the Mixed Offshore Event. There will be a vote tomorrow to determine wether gendered kiteboard or gendered 470 events will be proposed as the preferred alternate. Both will likely be presented to the IOC as options though. Source: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1107738/world-sailing-paris-2024-process-events

5 minutes ago, Dragon said:

What happens if somebody gets disqualified?

If one of the four gets DQed do the team get thrown out?

Do they only count the times of the quickest man and quickest woman?

Do they have penalty pit stops instead of disqualifications?

H

Here’s his proposal, it is different to the idea being reported, but similar in many aspects.

2 hours ago, dcro said:

How dumb is that? Basically holding individual events while only awarding team medals. Wow.

Interestingly, this is very similar to what Evan Dunfee proposed for the new event...

56 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

If anyone's interested I just wrote a review of the 2024 sports programme in Around The Rings. Would love to know your thoughts, I tried to keep it somewhat balanced :p

http://aroundtherings.com/site/A__101937/Title__Paris-2024-Sport-Program-A-Young-Persons-Review/292/Articles

Are you working for ATR nowadays, or are you just free-lancing from time to time?

Fantastic article by the way :yes

23 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

For me the worst change here by far is only 90 riders in men's cycling road race. What a shame! This is only half of an average peleton. If no other reasons are convincing for IOC, there is one more - Champs Elysee is too wide for a such a small bunch of people. It will look awful! 

Yes, that’s less than ideal for most people. 

I wouldn’t just write the event off though. The men’s road race at the 2018 Asian Games only had 58 entries (with a max of 4 riders per team), and that is still one of the most entertaining races I’ve watched. 

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

The only sailing event that gets much coverage in Canada is the America’s Cup. Volvo Ocean race does get some coverage, too, but not as much.

Yeah, pretty similar situation in the US. NBC actually showed some Sailing on some of their channels during Rio 2016 though.

3 hours ago, Dragon said:

Won't that be much more expensive to broadcast, contain much less action and be impossible to watch after it gets dark? :p

The idea included having 24/7 streaming from cameras on each ship if I remember. There would be constant live tracking as well. The most interesting part of the proposal is that they’d take that live tracking, put it on a video game platform, add in the current weather info, and let fans race the crews virtually in live time (not for medals of course, but for fun). It’s actually a real cool idea in my opinion, and something that could grow interest.