website statistics

Wrestling UWW European Championships 2018

vinipereira

9 minutes ago, phelps said:

great job by Frank Chamizo, who literally destroyed both the Georgian guy and the Russian Tsabolov in the quarterfinals of the -74kg class, showing that he's perfectly fit also for this weight, the 3rd different one since 2015 (and not counting the -55kg in 2010, when he was still a kid wrestling for his native Cuba)...

now it's time to face the reigning European Champion in this class, Soner Demirtas from Turkey (actually, a Russian born guy), in the semis...

on the other hand, unlucky outcome for Shamiil Kudiiamagomedov, the other brand new face of the Italian team...after defeating quite easily Makoev (formerly RUS, now SVK), he wrestled very well against the "true" Russian Naifonov, but in the end he lost by just 1 single point (7-6, a very interesting bout)...

I hope that Naifonov can at least make the final, so to give Shamil the chance to try and get a Bronze in this first experience with our team...

Turkey has a history of buying Russian wrestlers and changing their names. I can name 4-5 right now. Bereket, Shahin, Yashar, both Erdogans, but I believe Demirtas is a true Turk ! :d

Adesso, MHSN ha scritto:

Turkey has a history of buying Russian wrestlers and changing their names. I can name 4-5 right now. Bereket, Shahin, Yashar, both Erdogans, but I believe Demirtas is a true Turk ! :d

I have to check that out...I was almost sure he's one of those they took from Caucasus...:mumble:

I'll do some research on that...

2 minuti fa, phelps ha scritto:

I have to check that out...I was almost sure he's one of those they took from Caucasus...:mumble:

I'll do some research on that...

my mistake...I was confusing him with someone else...:red::facepalm:

he's actually a Turkish born guy...:evil:

14 minutes ago, phelps said:

Chamizo is a continuous surprise...I didn't expect him to beat Tsabolov that way...

by the way, Tsabolov is the only Russian that hasn't got at least to the semifinals...today we have 5 of them in the 5 gold medal matches...and 4 out of 5 in the semis of tomorrow's weights...:yikes:

Russia usually dominates the freestyle and this time they are the host. no surprise. and these new rules are strongly in favor of them. actually UWW made them because of Russia's influence. some other big wrestling nations are against them (I know Iran, USA and Japan). during the Asian Champs. all Asian countries sent a joint letter to UWW asking them to change the weight-in system because this is not good for health but of course they didn't give a shit. if you notice they still followed the one-day format for the Asian Championship.

Russian wrestleres are technically great, everybody knows that, but they usually gas after 3-4 minutes. that's how you can beat them if you are not technically as good as them. now with this rule they have more time to recover in long tournaments. I believe in current Russian squad, they have very good chance (almost certain) to win the gold in the world at 61kg. 92kg. but 74kg. 125kg and 86kg are almost impossible for them. this year Asian countries will focus more on the Asian Games, good chance for Russia to make up for last year's poor results. I guess they will win 4-5 gold medals in World Championship only in freestyle.

and the big question is. which weight the great Sadulaev will pick for Tokyo 2020 ! will he challenge Snyder for 97kg gold or he will cut weight back to challenge our Yazdani for 86kg gold ? of course I hope he picks Snyder to take revenge :d