Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

vlad

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

thepharoah    177
11 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

Some Italian media reported that IWF will totally exclude from Olympic Games nations with 20 or more doping cases in weightlifting

well this means that Russia in great danger not to take part again in Olympics 

Dunadan    85

I've read it but it seems that they are just confusing the reduction of quota to 2 weightlifters (for countries with 20 doping cases from 2008) with the possible ban (for countries with 3 doping cases during the qualification period).

AlFHg    37
2 ore fa, Dunadan ha scritto:

I've read it but it seems that they are just confusing the reduction of quota to 2 weightlifters (for countries with 20 doping cases from 2008) with the possible ban (for countries with 3 doping cases during the qualification period).

I though the same, to be honest... 

On the other side, however, it is too different to be confused

Dragon    171
On 4/5/2018 at 09:55, Dunadan said:

Why 3? If I understand correctly, with 10-19 doping cases, a country can qualify a total of 2 men (+2 women) ?

Anyway I counted and, as you said, KAZ, BLR, RUS, AZE, ARM will have 20+ cases including retests, while BUL, ROU, UZB, ALB, UKR, IND, IRI, MDA, TUR will have 10-19 cases.

Inside The Games are reporting Thailand and Egypt will be added to the nations on 10-19 cases once they finish investigations on positive tests from 2016 and 2017

• Sad 1

intoronto    282

This is good news I guess for clean countries.

Canada has four relatively good (and young) weightlifters that are gradually improving, 2 of each gender.

If all those countries were allowed to compete, its unlikely that Canada would have qualified more than 2 lifters.

Edited by intoronto

Griff88    151

Might be a good news for Indonesia, if the federation know what to do and gets support from the government.

While 2017 WC was a good opportunity to win some titles and prepare for Asian Games, our lifters can't get enough funding to go to Anaheim :(

Gianlu33    595

I do a list of doping cases (I do it in Italian, but it's easy to understand), here the top of the my list:

30185371_239409299958811_555749949_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=07d0319e1f975136b38ba7f3231e3515&oe=5AD47747

thepharoah    177
11 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

I do a list of doping cases (I do it in Italian, but it's easy to understand), here the top of the my list:

30185371_239409299958811_555749949_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=07d0319e1f975136b38ba7f3231e3515&oe=5AD47747

i only struggled with Messico , but anyway thanks for this table and btw where's China :mumble: 

Gianlu33    595
40 minuti fa, thepharoah ha scritto:

i only struggled with Messico , but anyway thanks for this table and btw where's China :mumble: 

China have "only" 4 cases.

• Sad 1

heywoodu    2,026
17 hours ago, AlFHg said:

Some Italian media reported that IWF will totally exclude from Olympic Games nations with 20 or more doping cases in weightlifting

To be fair, if you've got more than 20+ cases in your country, which is an utterly insane amount, you really need to have some other priorities than qualifying for the Olympics...

heywoodu    2,026
41 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

China have "only" 4 cases.

China is way more effective in doping their athletes. They only dope a few, but they do all win gold then :d 

Dunadan    85

Let me repeat once again because you guys seem confused...based on the IWF-IOC document:

• countries can be banned from Tokyo 2020 if they record 3 doping cases during the qualification period;
  • considering the period from the start of Beijing 2008 to the end of the qualification period for Tokyo 2020, countries with 20 or more doping cases can qualify only 2 weightlifters (1 man+1 woman) but they are not banned (so, Gianlu33, at the moment nobody is "escluso dalle Olimpiadi"). Countries with 10-19 doping cases can qualify only 4 weightlifters (2 men + 2 women);
  • when the procedure for 2008-2012 retests is closed, the number of cases per country should be (countries with at least 3 cases)
    Spoiler
    KAZ 39
    AZE 32
    RUS 29
    BLR 24
    ARM 20
    BUL 16
    ROU 15
    UKR 15
    UZB 14
    ALB 13
    MDA 13
    IND 11
    IRI 11
    TUR 11
    THA 8
    VEN 8
    PRK 8
    ARG 8
    IRQ 7
    GEO 7
    CHN 7
    MEX 6
    EGY 6
    SYR 6
    NGR 6
    MAS 6
    POL 5
    TPE 5
    AFG 5
    TUN 4
    CHI 4
    HUN 4
    KGZ 4
    YEM 4
    UAE 4
    TKM 3
    MGL 3
    CZE 3
    ESP 3
    TJK 3
    SVK 3
    CMR 3
    GRE 3
    PUR 3

As Dragon said, some doping cases from 2016-17 are still to be sanctioned.

• Like 2