Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Werloc

Speed Skating 2015 - 2016 Discussion Thread

vovanA    47
18 hours ago, Pavlo said:

so why it got forbidden? why is it used if it is placebo? :), why in Russia?

and why wasn't it forbidden earlier since it appeared in 1970s? some countries even don't admit meldronat's efficiency and don't sell it because it's useless. well, it has some effect which matches its low price, that is why it is popular in Russia among athletes who have heart problems or want to recover quicker after trainings.

WADA's logic to forbid meldronat was that people who take it might also take other drugs. well, it looks like people who have knives at home might be killers. I don't mind that mildronat is forbidden, but the appearing cases just show how stupid athletes are and don't notice that something gets forbidden. 

imagine that aspirine gets forbidden. i'm sure that many athletes around the world would make mistake and continue taking it. and they will be concidered as cheaters because they took a medicine a month after it became illegal

Pavlo    64
1 hour ago, vovanA said:

and why wasn't it forbidden earlier since it appeared in 1970s? some countries even don't admit meldronat's efficiency and don't sell it because it's useless. well, it has some effect which matches its low price, that is why it is popular in Russia among athletes who have heart problems or want to recover quicker after trainings.

WADA's logic to forbid meldronat was that people who take it might also take other drugs. well, it looks like people who have knives at home might be killers. I don't mind that mildronat is forbidden, but the appearing cases just show how stupid athletes are and don't notice that something gets forbidden. 

imagine that aspirine gets forbidden. i'm sure that many athletes around the world would make mistake and continue taking it. and they will be concidered as cheaters because they took a medicine a month after it became illegal

hmm, but they are pros, they make a living out of it. So even if they don`t know that it got forbidden - 1st it makes them really foolish ;p, 2nd - lack of knowledge isn`t an excuse. From 1st Jan it got forbidden and means DOPING, i think that quicker recovery after trainings is a doping, maybe this is dangerous, maybe meldronat helps to hide other drugs.

But from formal point of view those athletes just have been caught POSITIVE. Russian sport is probably the most "dirty" now and it only got worse even if it was only stupidity.

Hmmm, and i can`t believe Sharapova`s whole pro-crue missed such a change in regulations. Another question, what if Aga Radwańska and all other tennis players used it to recover after training or matches during GS or OG? Just asking ;), and maybe let`s not make heart-ill people out of great athletes. People with serious heart problems just can`t be pro athletes :)

Pavlo    64
2 hours ago, vovanA said:

and...if it is a placebo.....how Kulizhnikov got so powerful......after taking meaningless placebo...? ;) can you answer this?

heywoodu    3,388
20 minutes ago, Pavlo said:

and...if it is a placebo.....how Kulizhnikov got so powerful......after taking meaningless placebo...? ;) can you answer this?

I still think Kulizhnikov is definitely not only good because of doping, he really does have a great technique. But yeah, clearly his technique isn't the only thing :d 

intoronto    479

It appears the 2018 Olympics has a chance to have some exotic countries such as Colombia, Spain and India competing (all three have at least one athlete who has met the standard from Sochi).

heywoodu    3,388
5 hours ago, intoronto said:

It appears the 2018 Olympics has a chance to have some exotic countries such as Colombia, Spain and India competing (all three have at least one athlete who has met the standard from Sochi).

Spain had Antonio Gomez Fernandez in the 70's/80's, who was extremely popular in the Netherlands for reasons like the way he skated the turns (only after a while he learned how to actually make a decent turn), but he never competed at the Olympics :p

Pedro Causil is going really well in the past year and a half or so for Colombia, I have high hopes of him being a decent performer in Pyeongchang. Apart from them and India, also Brazil is having a young talent living in Japan, but he isn't near Olympic standards yet. 

dcro    2,857
5 hours ago, intoronto said:

And it should be easier now considering that, thanks to Netherlands, the number of athletes that a nation can enter in one event has been reduced.

heywoodu    3,388
3 minutes ago, dcro said:

And it should be easier now considering that, thanks to Netherlands, the number of athletes that a nation can enter in one event has been reduced.

One of the very few normal decisions by ISU...not as extremely stupid as the horrible decision to have only one race to decide the 500 meters.

dcro    2,857
9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

One of the very few normal decisions by ISU...not as extremely stupid as the horrible decision to have only one race to decide the 500 meters.

Yes, that's a very stupid decision. Generally, the worst thing that sport federations can do is to change competition formats because they want "more fans". Usually such changes don't bring any new fans, but they really annoy existing fans.

heywoodu    3,388
4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yes, that's a very stupid decision. Generally, the worst thing that sport federations can do is to change competition formats because they want "more fans". Usually such changes don't bring any new fans, but they really annoy existing fans.

And it's even more stupid when a decision simply gives a clear, unfair advantage to 50% of the field.