website statistics

Women's Volleyball Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

VolleyRuller96

12 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

What bother me is that there is still no men's ranking although world championships ended some time ago. I hope this does not mean that FIVB members are working on some new methods for build rankings.

That would be good news, I don't think they can find a method which is worse than the current one.

Imo would be fair to count last OG, WCh and continental championship

for NL/EL they previously said that won't count those points so many teams didn't fight 100% (especially EL)

But rules they should have published in advance!!!

48 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

What bother me is that there is still no men's ranking although world championships ended some time ago. I hope this does not mean that FIVB members are working on some new methods for build rankings.

Or maybe they are just waiting till the end of Women's competition to publish both rankings together. just saying :dunno:

1 minutę temu, MHSN napisał:

Or maybe they are just waiting till the end of Women's competition to publish both rankings together. just saying :dunno:

Of course it's possible. I always expect worst from FIVB members. It helps me save myself unpleasant surprises ;) I'm just wondering what can be reason to wait with this for publishing women's ranking? Last ranking was published right after Nations League final.

10 godzin temu, Dunadan napisał:

Nations League is not included in the current ranking, the last update was published after the 2017 World League/GP ;)

Right. I meant last year World League obviously ;) 

9 godzin temu, intoronto napisał:

I like this qualification format. it guarantees the top teams compete. However, I never like using the World Rankings as a method to seed teams.

This is not entirely true. More top teams could compete if there first would be continental qualifications and then intercontinental.

On 15-10-2018 at 20:50, Dunadan said:

It's official, here the document from FIVB:

http://www.fivb.org/en/volleyball/FINAL_2018_09_23_Tokyo2020_QualificationSystem_Volleyball_eng.pdf

It's going to be a disaster for European teams, looking at the World Ranking probably we will have a group with Italy and Netherlands and another one with Serbia and Turkey

Indeed. Netherlands will be 6th at the World Rankings after this WCh, Italy will be 7th for sure. 

Only when the World Cup 2015 doesn't count, there is a chance for multiple European teams qualifying. 

The group classification for the Olympic qualification tournaments is a disaster for the European teams, except for Russia. They can book their tickets to Tokyo in every situation.

I took the World Cup 2015, Olympic Games 2016 and the World Championships 2018 into account. There is some confusion if the VNL 2018 will count for the World Rankings.

These will be the groups when the VNL doesn't count for the World Rankings (likely):

A: SERBIA (1), TURKEY (12), CAMEROON (13), BELGIUM (24)

B: CHINA (2), PUERTO RICO (11), GERMANY (14), TRINIDAD (23)

C: USA (3), DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (10), BULGARIA (15), KAZACHSTAN (22)

D: RUSSIA (4), ARGENTINA (9), THAILAND (16), CUBA (21)

E: BRAZIL (5), KOREA (8), KENYA (17), CANADA (20)

F: NETHERLANDS (6), ITALY (7), MEXICO (18), AZERBAIJAN (19)

These will be the groups when the VNL count for the World Rankings (not likely):

A: CHINA (1), PUERTO RICO (12), GERMANY (13), COLOMBIA (24)

B: SERBIA (2), TURKEY (11), BULGARIA (14), POLAND (23)

C: USA (3), DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (10), THAILAND (15), CUBA (22)

D: RUSSIA (4), ARGENTINA (9), CAMEROON (16), CANADA (21)

E: BRAZIL (5), KOREA (8), BELGIUM (17), MEXICO (20)

F: NETHERLANDS (6), ITALY (7), KENYA (18), AZERBAIJAN (19)

Horrible for especially Netherlands. Finishing 4th at both the OG as the WCH and then placed in a group with Italy ... 

Edited by CCB