Men's Field Hockey FIH World Cup 2018

George_D

• 1 month later...

Pools for the Men's World Cup:

A - :ARG:NZL:ESP:FRA 

B - :AUS:ENG:IRL:CHN 

C - :BEL:IND:CAN:RSA 

D - :NED:GER:MAS:PAK 

We were handed the worst pool unfortunately, with the hardest teams from band 3 and 4 (Spain and France). All the other pools have at least one clear "weakling". Pool winners go straight to QF, 2nd and 3rd placed teams advance to a pseudo Round 16.

Edited by LDOG

il y a 3 minutes, LDOG a déclaré:

We were handed the worst pool unfortunately, with the hardest teams from band 3 and 4 (Spain and France). All the other pools have at least one clear "weakling". Pool winners go straight to QF, 2nd and 3rd placed teams for to a pseudo Round 16.

I assume our comeback in the World Cup after 27 years will be a very short-lived one :rolleyes:

On 2/28/2018 at 18:01, LDOG said:

We were handed the worst pool unfortunately, with the hardest teams from band 3 and 4 (Spain and France). All the other pools have at least one clear "weakling". Pool winners go straight to QF, 2nd and 3rd placed teams advance to a pseudo Round 16.

India got a relatively comfortable group. I believe we can beat Belgium. I think Group D is Group of Death

My predictions

Group Winners -  :ARG:AUS:IND:GER 

Group Runners up - :NZL:ENG:BEL:NED 

Group 3rd place - :ESP:IRL:CAN:MAS 

21 minutes ago, gvaisakh said:

India got a relatively comfortable group. I believe we can beat Belgium. I think Group D is Group of Death

My predictions

Group Winners -  :ARG:AUS:IND:GER 

Group Runners up - :NZL:ENG:BEL:NED 

Group 3rd place - :ESP:IRL:CAN:MAS 

Defeating Belgium would be tough but second place should be easy. Also, with Malaysia and Pakistan you never know. It could be either Group of Death or the easiest group for the top two. 

28 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Defeating Belgium would be tough but second place should be easy. Also, with Malaysia and Pakistan you never know. It could be either Group of Death or the easiest group for the top two. 

Agree with Group D comments. Since we are the host, I believe we would beat Belgium

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The world cup has started with a belgian victory over Canada.

A little preview...

Pool A: for me the most contested pool. I don't know how our team will perform under the new coach, so that's a mystery for me. Good or bad performance wouldn't surprise me. New Zealand is always very hard for Argentina, but don't think they will go far this time. France is the best team from the lower tier and in my opinion they won't leave with 3 losses. Spain has potential to be the surprise of this WC.

Pool B: straightforward pool. Australia should be 1st, England 2nd, Ireland 3rd and China 4th. China is the weakest team in the competition.

Pool C: two strong teams and two weak teams. India and Belgium will fight for 1st place. Since they host I favor India, also Belgium hasn't been great last few tournaments. On the other hand Canada should beat South Africa for a place in R16.

Pool D: another interesting pool but in my opinion not as contested as pool A. Netherlands and Germany are clearly above the asian teams and should fight for 1st place (Netherlands is also my top favorite to win the competition). For 3rd place we will have probably the hardest match to predict in all the pool stage: Malaysia vs Pakistan. Pakistan IMO has better players but their preparation was a disaster and they have changed 2 coaches in the last 3 months.

Pakistan seems to be the topic of every Youtube chat, no matter who's playing.

" I support Pakistan at heart whether Pakistan will or lose "

" Dil Pakistan jaan Pakistan "

" pakistan match tomorrow against Germany "

" pakistan rull on india 1000 sall "

:wacko:

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Pakistan seems to be the topic of every Youtube chat, no matter who's playing.

" I support Pakistan at heart whether Pakistan will or lose "

" Dil Pakistan jaan Pakistan "

" pakistan match tomorrow against Germany "

" pakistan rull on india 1000 sall "

:wacko:

Much like how every single skeleton or bobsled stream ever gets completely taken over by Latvians.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!