website statistics

Women's Softball WBSC World Championship 2018

AlFHg

hace 1 minuto, intoronto said:

What rivalry? 

And field hockey was the only team sport that was in consideration of being dropped back in 2013 (ultimately wrestling got the boot). That's why they went to 4 quarters, to make the game more interesting? If field hockey was ranked last, its unlikely to have changed. So for any team sport to have hope of being on the Olympic program, it has to hope another team sport is dropped, ie field hockey. 

"Tuesday's decision came via secret ballot over four rounds, with 14 members voting each time on which sport should not be included in the core group. IOC President Jacques Rogge did not vote. Three sports were left in the final round: wrestling, field hockey and modern pentathlon." 

Source

Yes, 5 years ago... I remember many journalists were puzzled about it because Hockey was one of the most succesful events in London, with the arena full in almost all games. They told FIH some bullshit about social media influence as the reason. It was just Samaranch lobby to protect pentathlon (but anyway hockey received only 3 negative votes IIRC).

4 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Yes, 5 years ago... I remember many journalists were puzzled about it because Hockey was one of the most succesful events in London, with the arena full in almost all games. They told FIH some bullshit about social media influence as the reason. It was just Samaranch lobby to protect pentathlon (but anyway hockey received only 3 negative votes IIRC).

Right, but we don't have any information to suggest another team sport has fallen below field hockey atm. If baseball/softball are to hope for an Olympic place, it has to come at the expense of field hockey. Atp, that is not likely, but for LA2028, wouldn't shock me if both were on the program. 

Edited by intoronto

7 hours ago, intoronto said:

It won't matter I think. Baseball/softball will not be in on Paris or LA without a team sport coming off the program. Field hockey is the most likely one to come off the program...

Baseball is just not a good fit for the Olympics. The roster size is huge (24, no other team sports have more than 18 players per team), the venues are specialized, and the games are very high varience and so dependent on the pitching rotation.

That and as long as MLB players aren’t competing Olympic baseball is a joke.

Remember when that vote happened water polo was protected because the vote was by sport (and no way aquatics was going to get kicked out). I'd argue that water polo is the most likely team sport to be kicked out, not only is it played by relatively few nations the ones that do play it come from mostly one continent with a bunch of token nations around the world. At least in field hockey and rugby sevens the top and secondary teams are more geographically diverse.

As for softball, they are better off trying to bring in a men's team than to try to get a 24 person baseball tournament that will likely never get MLB to agree to join.

10 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Remember when that vote happened water polo was protected because the vote was by sport (and no way aquatics was going to get kicked out). I'd argue that water polo is the most likely team sport to be kicked out, not only is it played by relatively few nations the ones that do play it come from mostly one continent with a bunch of token nations around the world. At least in field hockey and rugby sevens the top and secondary teams are more geographically diverse.

As for softball, they are better off trying to bring in a men's team than to try to get a 24 person baseball tournament that will likely never get MLB to agree to join.

Synchronized Swimming is the most endangered discipline in all the Olympics IMO. You get rid of it, you add two women’s water polo teams and just like that aquatics is gender neutral and you reduced aquatics’ overall allocation by about 80 quotas.

Edited by NearPup

1 hour ago, Nate River said:

Synchronized Swimming is the most endangered discipline in all the Olympics IMO. You get rid of it, you add two women’s water polo teams and just like that aquatics is gender neutral and you reduced aquatics’ overall allocation by about 80 quotas.

I think the discipline will be safe until the other sports become gender neutral. It at least keeps the difference slightly smaller. So basically until Greco-Roman wrestling adds women events or gets kicked out of the Olympics.