website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Your Trips & Holidays Thread

bestmen

On 2/25/2024 at 3:09 PM, Olympian1010 said:

10/10 on architectural planning. I spent a solid hour just looking at the ruins under the museum. Who knew Ancient Greek sewage design could be so interesting? :p

@Makedonas @Wumo Just realized the Acropolis Museum and National Archeological Museum are two different things. I went to the first, not the later.

I stayed at hotel near the "Plaka" district. I mostly explored the area around the Acropolis, Parliament, and Panathinaiko Stadium. I used one of the "all access" passes offered for the major archeological sites, which I made very good use of during my short time in the city.

I stepped inside the Church of Panagias Grigorousas, but I wished I visited a few more Orthodox churches. I wanted to go to the Athens 2004 Olympic Park, but I was too busy exploring other places. Plus, I wasn't big on spending money for transportation. The taxi ride from the Acropolis district to the Athens International Airport was NOT pleasant on my wallet.

I ate at a few places, but I liked the vibe of a place called "Cave of Acropolis," so I ate dinner there every night I was in Athens. They had live music and a nice view of the Parthenon. 

If I were to return to Athens, I'd probably focus more on modern Greek culture, or areas outside the main tourist area. I normally want a very "authentic" experience when I travel to a foreign country (I want to know what daily life is like, and be engrossed on the local culture), but I felt like I needed to visit the big sites since I had the opportunity.

Outside of Athens, I'd be open to visiting Olympia/Patras, any of the islands, and maybe Thessaloniki as a tourist.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

37 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Yes, Greeks are not the most careful drivers especially in cities :d

You guys should visit Malta. I could never drive in that country :p

40 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

It's too bad if you didn't go to any sporting events while you were there, but next time definitely check out some islands or mainland - northern Greece (Thessaloniki, Halkidiki, Mount Olympus, Meteora...)

Did you have gemista with just rice or with rice and meat? My grandmother made the best one, with rice and meat, but I've found that the vegetarian version is more common in taverns, at least from my experience!

I didn't get to see any sports events, but I did check to see if any international stuff was in town. Greek football and basketball seem intense, so I think I'd want a local guide/friend if going to a game.

I think I had the rice only version of Gemista. My family eats a similar American version with rice and meat for dinner quite frequently. 

Chicken gyros were also a wonderful surprise, since those are less common in the US. I had some sort of Lemon Lambchop that was pretty good too.

Paying for water during a meal was my least favorite thing about Greece and Europe. Water is viewed as a right in the United States. Most places offer it for free, even if you don't purchase any other drinks or food. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Makedonas @Wumo Just realized the Acropolis Museum and National Archeological Museum are two different things. I went to the first, not the later.

I stayed at hotel near the "Plaka" district. I mostly explored the area around the Acropolis, Parliament, and Panathinaiko Stadium. I used one of the "all access" passes offered for the major archeological sites, which I made very good use of during my short time in the city.

I stepped inside the Church of Panagias Grigorousas, but I wished I visited a few more Orthodox churches. I wanted to go to the Athens 2004 Olympic Park, but I was too busy exploring other places. Plus, I wasn't big on spending money for transportation. The taxi ride from the Acropolis district to the Athens International Airport was NOT pleasant on my wallet.

I ate at a few places, but I liked the vibe of a place called "Cave of Acropolis," so I ate dinner there every night I was in Athens. They had live music and a nice view of the Parthenon. 

If I were to return to Athens, I'd probably focus more on modern Greek culture, or areas outside the main tourist area. I normally want a very "authentic" experience when I travel to a foreign country (I want to know what daily life is like, and be engrossed on the local culture), but I felt like I needed to visit the big sites since I had the opportunity.

Outside of Athens, I'd be open to visiting Olympia/Patras, any of the islands, and maybe Thessaloniki as a tourist.

Next time you should take the metro! It's clean, modern and efficient and easy to use and cheaper than taxis. Generally very safe but of course just be careful, as you would be in any other big city using public transport.

Also although the Plaka/Monastiraki areas are quite touristy, a lot of local Greeks also hang out there and go to the restaurants and rooftop bars, so it's probably more authentic than you think, but I get what you mean.

I've never been to Olympia and I used to want to go, but to be honest most people say it's not that impressive :p. If you go to Peloponnese (area where Olympia/Patras are), it's better to go to Nafplio (our former capital city) and the Mani Peninsula as well as the western Messinia area (Voidokilia Beach, Polylimnio Waterfalls).

22 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

You guys should visit Malta. I could never drive in that country :p

I didn't get to see any sports events, but I did check to see if any international stuff was in town. Greek football and basketball seem intense, so I think I'd want a local guide/friend if going to a game.

I think I had the rice only version of Gemista. My family eats a similar American version with rice and meat for dinner quite frequently. 

Chicken gyros were also a wonderful surprise, since those are less common in the US. I had some sort of Lemon Lambchop that was pretty good too.

Paying for water during a meal was my least favorite thing about Greece and Europe. Water is viewed as a right in the United States. Most places offer it for free, even if you don't purchase any other drinks or food. 

Yeah I get what you mean about football and basketball, though it depends on which teams are playing. Games with other European teams are usually more calm (with some exceptions especially if the opponents are from the Balkans). I would avoid a derby at all costs...

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

Next time you should take the metro! It's clean, modern and efficient and easy to use and cheaper than taxis. Generally very safe but of course just be careful, as you would be in any other big city using public transport.

I don't know why I didn't consider that more. I bought a light rail ticket in Frankfurt and that made travel so easy. 

I was little more worried about the language barrier in Athens. I don't think it was problem in Plaka/Monastiraki, but I wasn't sure about the rest of the city. I speak "un poquito español," but I'm only fluent in English.

21 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don't know why I didn't consider that more. I bought a light rail ticket in Frankfurt and that made travel so easy. 

I was little more worried about the language barrier in Athens. I don't think it was problem in Plaka/Monastiraki, but I wasn't sure about the rest of the city. I speak "un poquito español," but I'm only fluent in English.

You'd probably be fine, basically everyone under age 50 speaks English to some degree, and over 50 I'd say it's hit or miss. Especially in Athens, most people are more "educated" than in for example some remote/rural villages.

Anyways nowadays Greek has adopted so many English words that you probably speak more "Greek" than you think :p