website statistics

Shooting ISSF World Championships 2018

AlFHg

2 ore fa, phelps ha scritto:

it's perfectly normal for ISSF, since the athletes qualified for the individual events can still qualify the mixed team (and that's what SVK did with Varga & Stefecekova)...

basically, with 2 guys they have filled all of their Trap quota...

it's unfair, but those are the rules (or, at least, the interpretation given by almost every people so far)...

The maximum quota per NOC is indicated in 30 atheltes (15 men + 15 women), divided as max 2 per events per sex plus 6 for mixed team events. This means that Slovakia has now qualified a "mixed team only" pair of athletes plus it is granted a "composite team" due to the results of the individual events. The fact that it can be obtained with the same athletes may not be the best, but it is not unfair in my opinion. I see it as a specific chance to get a third qualified athlete per sex given to the NOC.

5 ore fa, AlFHg ha scritto:

The maximum quota per NOC is indicated in 30 atheltes (15 men + 15 women), divided as max 2 per events per sex plus 6 for mixed team events. This means that Slovakia has now qualified a "mixed team only" pair of athletes plus it is granted a "composite team" due to the results of the individual events. The fact that it can be obtained with the same athletes may not be the best, but it is not unfair in my opinion. I see it as a specific chance to get a third qualified athlete per sex given to the NOC.

to me, this whole qualification procedure is unfair (and a mess)...

they should just have X individual events awarding x*2 quota pro-Nation...and the mixed team events -if they just can't get rid of them- should be open to 1 team from all those Countries having at least 1 male and 1 female individually qualified (no way they should have 2 pairs per Nation in those mixed competitions...if a Country then has 2 athletes in the corrspective individual event, the only privilege should be the chance to choose whoever they want between them for the team event)...

as simple as it looks...no switches, no swaps, no multiple pathways and so on...

p.s. and I also think that they should award a lot more quota at the world champs...at such kind of event, at least all the 8 (or 6, depending on the rules of each competition) finalists should get an Olympic berth, imho (with spots reallocated to the following qualification events in case someone makes the final twice...or more than twice...not going deeper into the rankings among those who missed the final)...

I'm for simplifying things, not for complications...but this is just my opinion...;)

Edited by phelps

2 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

Well... Good for them, but it is unfair IMO. Especially in a sport that was previously a model example of how one person can't bring more than one quota to his/her country.

In fact, I don't think it's possible in any other sport for one person to earn more than one spot... Obviously, there are specific examples like swimming relays where one swimmer could help more than one relay. But in canoeing for example if you qualify in both K1 and K2 then your nation can still send only two different athletes and not three.

#banbestmen

Yeah this reminds me of figure skating where one athlete could qualify up to three quotas for their nation. In shooting, the athlete still needs to reach the MQS in order to be selected so at least the quota isn't entirely free, but I'm hoping that a second athlete qualifies normally so that the extra athlete quota will likely be declined.

28 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah this reminds me of figure skating where one athlete could qualify up to three quotas for their nation. In shooting, the athlete still needs to reach the MQS in order to be selected so at least the quota isn't entirely free, but I'm hoping that a second athlete qualifies normally so that the extra athlete quota will likely be declined.

Funny thing is that they can still exchange a quota if there's nobody left with MQS in trap, so in theory you don't even need a MQS there. :d

#banbestmen

The MQS in Trap is really no problem for Marián Kovačocy, Slamka, Praj or Špotáková.

but again, the very likely scenario is that we will exchange one quota for someone else in rifle or pistol events or skeet. we will deal with it, depending on how the situation develops.

extremely pleased with the Indian Performance in these games , yes mostly in the juniors but majority of them are 16 years , 

Gold Silver Bronze Total
1nation flagKOR 8 6 7 21
2nation flagIND 6 7 5 18
3nation flagCHN 5 6 3 14
4nation flagRUS 5 5 9 19
5nation flagITA 4   4 8

It is amazing that before this our best performance in a world championship was three medals in 2010 ........ and now 18  ( and I think we may add 5-6 more ) ...this is a truly world class team and they will be over the next few years be a dominant world team in shooting

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi