website statistics

Freestyle Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

Werloc

The Swedish girls were going for 1-2 in the ski cross World Cup in Val Thorens....until they pushed each other out of the race and crashed with 1 or 2 turns to go :facepalm:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Chapuis and Thompson triumph in ski cross season opener

The first podium of the 16/17 SX season

The first competition of a new season - and the first competition of a new tour - took to the storied slopes of Val Thorens (FRA) on Friday, as the newly-launched Cross Alps Tour opener kicked off the 2016/17 Audi FIS Ski Cross World Cup on Friday afternoon. 

With a new course line for this season’s Val Thorens competition throwing difficult, technical turns at the skiers through the course’s middle section, competition on Friday saw some extremely tight racing, with some spectacular passing, some unfortunate crashes, and jaw-dropping finishes as Marielle Thompson (CAN) and Jean Frederic Chapuis (FRA) scored season-opening victories.

There were some incredible moments through the ladies’ competition on Friday, including a photo finish involving Thompson and her teammate Kelsey Serwa that was determined to be the rarest of cases - an absolute tie. With the rule book stating that the higher-ranked skier from qualification is to proceed in such a case, Thompson found herself through to the big final while Serwa was relegated to the small. 

In the big final it was top qualifier Anna Holmlund (SWE) out in front from the start and through the majority of the length of the Val Thorens’, with her young teammate Sandra Naeslund shadowing her every move, Thompson stuck in third, and Fanny Smith (SUI) - in her first race back after missing all of last season with an injury - losing ground in the rear. 

It was looking like a huge 1-2 finish for the Swedish team. However, on the last corner of the race it all fell apart as Naeslund caught up to Holmlund and the two teammates touched boots. Holmlund then got bounced out of her line and outside of a gate, before veering back onto the course and crashing first into Naeslund, then into the safety netting and out of the race.

Thompson and Smith slid by the pile-up and into first and second, respectively, while Naeslund would be awarded third place due to Holmlund’s missed gate. 

“I came over that final step-down and just saw them crashing into each other,” Thompson said of the mishap that would hand her the race, “I didn’t know what was going to happen so I just tried to avoid all the people and get the win. That’s ski cross, sometimes. You get caught up with people and you crash.

“I would have been happy with the third, but a win is even better.”

Naeslund, for her part, wasn’t angry at her teammate for taking away what might have been her first career World Cup victory.

“It’s happened before,” Naeslund said of getting mixed up with Holmlund, “I know that she’s not trying to hurt me or anything like that. I don’t know…maybe I just need to get better at passing her.”

Chapuis triumphs on his home course once again

The ski cross course in Val Thorens was named after Jean Frederic Chapuis after his win at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, and on Friday the town’s favourite son proved once again that he owns the track bearing his name, winning every heat on his way to the big final before holding off a hard-charging Chris Delbosco (CAN) and his French teammate Sylvain Miaillier for the win at the first contest of the season. 

Delbsco was hot on Chapuis’ heel through the majority of the race, before miscalculating his entry to Val Thorens’ famous negative turn and getting passed by Miaillier. Victor Oehling Norberg (SWE), the fourth skier in the heat, also nearly overtook Delbsco, but the Canadian was able to hold on through the finish. 

However, officials put the run under review, and after several tense minutes it was determined that Delbosco straddled the gate heading into the negative turn, resulting in his run being designated a “Did Not Finish”, dropping him into fourth, and giving Oehling Norberg the third place podium. 

“I know that Chris had a really good start,” said Chapuis of facing Delbsco in the big final, “When I got out of the gate first I was saying to myself ‘Push as hard as you can,’ because on the flats he is maybe better than me. When I was still first after the long flat I though, ‘Ok, take your best line and see what happens.”

“I’m so happy to win here at home in Val Thorens. I feel like this is the best gift I can give to all the workers and the volunteers who make this race happen. Every year it gets better and bigger and I’m so happy to be able to be able to perform for the people here.”

With the first race of the Cross Alps tour in the bag, the standings are as straightforward as can be, with Thompson and Chapuis both sitting in the drivers seat of the Tour and the World Cup. however, Saturday is another day, and with the second of the back-to-back Val Thorens competitions set to get underway at 11:00CET, things could look very much different less than 24 hours from now. 

Full Results Here

Holmlund and Fiva win in Val Thorens, lead Cross Alps Tour

15327295_10154816634986306_4874013787071

The second of the back-to-back competitions to kick off the Audi FIS Ski Cross World Cup season, and the first two races of this December’s six-race Cross Alps Tour took to the endlessly sunny slopes of France’s Val Thorens on Saturday, with Anna Holmlund (SWE) getting a redemption win in the ladies’ event and Alex Fiva (SUI) climbing to the top of the podium for the first time in almost three years after a win on the men’s side. 

Competition ended in crushing disappointment for the Swedish squad in the previous day’s competition, as Holmlund and her teammate Sandra Naelsund got tangled up while battling for the lead into the final corner, where Holmlund missed a gate before crashing into Naeslund and taking them both out of the race. 

While Naelsund would still earn a podium after being awarded third due to to Holmlund’s missed gate, Holmlund would end the day with a bruised arm, a bruised ego, and thoughts of what might have been. 

Holmlund, however, has not been the ski cross crystal globe winner for the past two seasons for no reason, and the powerful Swede returned to competition on Saturday focused and ready to make amends for Friday’s mistakes. 

This she did in convincing fashion, only really getting challenge through her first two heats when Marielle Thompson (CAN) nearly landed on her tails in the semifinal, resulting in Thompson - yesterday’s Val Thorens winner - being forced to dump speed and fall back to third place in the heat and out of contention. 

15420951_10154816635341306_3857584172488

In the big final it was again Holmlund and Naeslund who took to the front early and stayed there. Behind them, 20 year old German upstart Daniella Maier - competing in her first big final - and Canadian veteran Kesley Serwa locked into a back-and-forth battle for third. 

Holmlund and Naeslund once again went into the final turn separated by less than a meter, but this time there would be no fireworks, as Holmlund would hold off young Naeslund to take the victory and top spot on the Audi FIS Ski Cross World Cup leaderboard, while the speedy Maier would close the door on Serwa to take her first career podium.

Combined with their teammates on the men’s side, the Swedish squad was able to take home five podiums in the two Val Thorens races, and Holmlund was justifiably proud of her team.

“We’re a small team, only five skiers, so to get five podiums means we’re putting on a great performance. And my good friend Fiva wins (in the men’s race), so it’s a great day.”

“I was really pissed at myself (for the crash) yesterday,” Holmlund said, going on, “So it’s good to be able to come back today and take the victory.”

The first-time World Cup podium winner Maier, meanwhile, still seemed to be in shock following the awards ceremony.

“I never though I would get on the World Cup podium. I trained very hard this summer and I spent some time with a mental coach to get over the nervousness I had last season in the start gate. Now I know that even if my start is not good, I can still get out there and get back in the fight.”

Fiva holds off surging Leman for first victory since 2014

It was the men’s side, meanwhile, that gave what was perhaps the feel-good story of the Val Thorens weekend, as Alex Fiva - one of the tour veterans and one of the most well-liked and well-respected athletes on the Audi FIS Ski Cross World Cup - proving he’s still got what it takes, fending off charges from all sides on his way to his first World Cup win since March 2014. 

After yesterday’s winner Jean Frederic Chapuis (FRA) went out early in the competition after missing a gate the way was cleared for a new winner on the young 2016/17 season. However, with the likes of Armin Niederer (SUI), Christoph Wahrstoetter (AUT), Brady Leman (CAN) and a handful of others all absolutely charging the Val Thorens course, it wasn’t going to be easy for anyone. 

In the end, it came down to Fiva, Leman, Wahstoetter, and Viktor Andersson (SWE). On his ay to the final Andersson was the recipient of not one, but two gifts of good luck when skiers ahead of him crashed out to give him a free pass through to the next heats, including a semi final heat where Andersson himself went down near the top of the course, only to collect himself, set back off on his run, and find himself blowing by Niederer and Sebastian Lepage (FRA) after they both crashed, giving him a berth in his second career big final.

15421016_10154816635306306_5163894288168

In the end though, Fiva would prevail, with his strong starts and unmatched gliding giving him an early lead that Leman wouldn’t be able to overcome. For a moment it looked like Andersson would take second after passing Leman on the negative, but in the final turn Leman was able to reel him back in hold on to second place, with Andersson in third and Wahstoetter in fourth. 

“It’s a long time ago since I was on top,” said Fiva, the 2012/13 ski cross crystal globe winner, “but to get a win in the second race of the season, at Val Thorens where I’ve never been very good, it’s really special for me. And now to be sitting on top of the World Cup and especially to be sitting in front on the Cross Alps Tour - it’s a great boost for our sport and I’m happy to be leading it right now.”

Leman, meanwhile, wasn’t lamenting a missed opportunity at a win he desperately wanted. 

“It took some of my best skiing to come in second today. I didn’t have the best start in the finals and when you’re up against someone skiing like Alex was it’s going to be tough no matter what, so I’m happy with second, for sure.”

From Val Thorens, the Cross Alps Tour now jumps quickly over to Arosa (SUI), for a first-of-its-kind nighttime sprint event in the Plesseur Alps on Tuesday, December 13. 

Full Results Here and Here

Cox and Kingsbury victorious in Ruka

Mikael Kingsbury competing at the finals in Ruka

Mikael Kingsbury competing at the finals in Ruka

The Freestyle Ski Opening officially kicked off the World Cup season 2016/2017 with a single moguls competition that saw Britteny Cox (AUS) and Mikael Kingsbury (CAN) taking big wins under the lights in Ruka Ski Resort.

In the ladies competition Australian Britteny Cox stormed through the course today, with style and grace, for her first-ever World Cup win. All this happening seven years after she first entered the World Cup circuit back in 2010 in Deer Valley. 

While Cox has already stood several times on the World Cup podium before, also taking the third place at the World Championships in Kreischberg in 2015, today’s results is without a doubt the biggest one in her career.

“I’m just over the moon to have my first win. It’s been my goal for a long time now and I was really hungry for it.  I’m super happy to put some solid runs in the finals especially here in Ruka, where I love competing”.

Second place went to Perrine Laffont (FRA) who ended up with a score of 73.13, falling behind the winner Britteny Cox by less than 0.5 point. Perceived as one of the favorites for the overall World Cup ranking, Laffont gained some precious points advantage over her last year’s biggest rivals Justine and Chloe Dufour-Lapointe. Canadian skiers finished the competition on fifth and eighth place respectively. 

“I’m feeling so good to start the season with a place on the podium. I was really stressed at the start, but everything worked out just fine and I’m really happy with my result today”.

2013 and 2014 FIS Junior World Champion from Valmalenco (ITA), Keaton McCargo (USA) scored big today as she claimed her first World Cup podium with a third place finish in Ruka.

“I’m still in shock, but also very excited about it. I’m glad I have a chance to share the podium with two of my good friends from the World Cup tour”.

On the men’s side unstoppable Mikael Kingsbury went for his 34 World Cup victory and simply dominated the competition. Kingsbury was fast and kept stomping his tricks all day long repeating his last year’s result from Ruka and finishing the day on top of the podium.

“It always feels amazing to win. I had a good feeling today when I woke up. I saw a little bit of fresh snow on the course and I think I picked the good line. Before dropping in for the final run I knew Ben and Matt scored in the 80s. I did 82 and 83 in the previous run so I knew that I had to stay clean and not to push too much. It worked out and it feels unbelievable”.

Matt Graham (AUS) inspired by a phenomenal performance by his teammate Britteny Cox, also gave his best and ended up taking the second spot, falling short only to Kingsbury.

“I’m very happy to start the season with second place. My best result here in the past was fourth so it’s nice to finally step on the podium and share it with my teammate Britt. It’s a very good day for Australia”.

Third place on the day belonged to Benjamin Cavet (FRA) who rounded up the podium with his first-ever single moguls World Cup top 3 result.

“I’m very happy with today’s results. I like skiing fast and do big jumps and this is how it is here in Ruka, so all in all it’s a perfect day for me”.

The moguls World Cup now takes a holiday break and will come back after the New Years Eve with the next competition taking place in Lake Placid on 13th of January.

Full Results Women        and Men

15355589_10154818757026306_8792283002737

Thompson and Detrez fastest in Arosa SX sprint

Arosa ski cross podium winners

The third race of the 2016 Cross Alps Tour saw the first-ever Audi FIS Ski Cross World Cup nighttime sprint-format competition take to the slopes of Arosa (SUI) on Tuesday night, and with the shortened course, the novelty of racing under the lights, and the hype of a big Swiss crowd on hand, the evening saw a hugely entertaining and unpredictable competition from start to finish. And with Swiss youngster Romain Detraz taking the his first career victory on home soil, the evening even had a fairytale ending. 

In the ladies’ competition, though, it was top qualifier Marielle Thompson (CAN) who would run the table in the finals, winning every heat on her way to her second victory of the young season, giving her the World Cup and Cross Alps Tour lead. 

“Tonight went awesome,” Thompson said, “I executed my plan just how I hoped. Things got a little tight in the semi-final, but otherwise I’m just stoked on how it went. I felt good…I think I’m a little more awake at night. I felt like I didn’t ski my best in Val Thorens so it’s nice to be back on my game here in Arosa.”

Behind Thompson was Karolina Riemen-Zerebecka (POL), who take the second podium of her career and first since the 2012/13 season, improving herself to fourth overall at this point in the ski cross World Cup season. 

Third place went to Ophelie David (FRA), as the winningest ski cross racer in World Cup history added another podium to her resume, taking her up to 63 podiums in her incredible career. Meanwhile Sami Kennedy-Sim (AUS) was the unlucky lady of the evening, coming in fourth, just shy of the first podium of her career.

In the men’s competition, Detraz made good on what seemed like an unlikely 7th-place qualification ranking, pulling what appeared to be the fasted starts of the day in every heat, but really impressing with his ability to hold on to the lead throughout while some of the best ski-cross racers in the world tried in vain to rein him in. 

“It’s unbelievable,” said Detraz, still in shock following the awards ceremony, “If someone told me this morning that I was going to win this race, I couldn’t believe them. I had a good start and then I was able to stay out in front every heat, making a clean turn on the negative. I made a huge progress in my technique in the last year and it really helped me today.”

Second place, for the second race in a row, went to Brady Leman (CAN), while third on the night went to Jean Frederic Chapuis (FRA), as he overtook Arosa-Lenzerhide favourite Alex Fiva for the World Cup lead. Fourth place went to ski cross World Cup upstart Siegmar Klotz, a recent Alpine World Cup transplant who is quickly making his mark in the ski cross world. 

From Arosa, the Audi FIS Ski Cross World Cup Cross Alps tour moves over to Montafon (AUT), for the fourth of the six Cross Alps Tour competitions on Saturday, December 17.

Full Results Women and Men

Xu and Kushnir back in the game with big wins in season's first World Cup competition

Beida Lake World Cup podium

For the fourth straight season the aerials World Cup opener has taken place in China with Beida Lake resort serving as a stage for this weekend's action. In the individual competition it was Mengtao Xu (CHN) and Anton Kushinir (BLR) who finished the day on top of the podium and earned the first 100 points in the aerials World Cup ranking.

Following the qualifications held under the blue sky, the last year's winner from Beijing Guangpu Qi and his Chinese teammate Fanyu Kong led the pack of top 12 ladies and top 12 men into two rounds of the finals.

After missing almost entire last season, Mengtao Xu is back in the game as she stormed to victory today claiming her 17th career's top podium spot. Chinese skier showed extremely solid jumping throughout the day, stomping perfectly both of her final tricks - back Full Full and back Double Full Full. Earning the score of 94.47 Xu outscored second today Danielle Scott (AUS) by more than 7 points, as her skiing looked like a nice throwback to her excellent 2011/2012 World Cup season form.

"I'm very happy to be competing again and taking the win in front of the home crowd here at Beida Lake. It feels great to get the yellow bib right from the start and I'm very excited for the World Cup season and the World Championships in Sierra Nevada" said Xu following the award ceremony.

Representing Australia Daniele Scott took the second place on the day with a score of 87.06 for her back Double Full Full in the second round of the finals.

"I'm very happy with this result. I did some very good jumping so beginning the season with the second place feels very satisfying" said Scott.

Russia's National Champion from Chusovoy, Liubov Nikitina rounded up the ladies' podium with well executed back Full Full and the final score of 82.53 points. Third place at Beida Lake is also Nikitina's best career results since she first appeared on the World Cup tour in Beijing back in 2014.

On the men's side the 2014 Olympic Champion Anton Kushinir made a strong statement in the last round of the finals, throwing down a perfect back Full Double Full Full for a score of 115.05 points. Returning from a long break from competitive skiing, following his gold medal performance in Sochi, Kushinir came back on top of the World Cup podium. With impeccable technique and solid landings Belorussian skier is looking strong heading into the 2016/2017 season and is certainly the one to look out for in the overall World Cup ranking.

"It's been some time away from competitive skiing and I have to admit I've really missed the sport. It feels awesome to be back and to win the World Cup, especially here in China where you can always expect the highest level of competition" said Kushinir.

Top qualifier and the winner of the last year's opener at the Bird's Nest Stadium Guangpu Qi finished the day one spot behind Kushinir, falling short to the Belorussian aerialist only by half of a point. Despite leading the way all day long throughout qualifications and the first round of the finals, Guangpu wasn't quite able to stomp the landing clean on his last back Double Full Full Full and had to settle for the second place. Nonetheless, the Chinese skier seemed to be fully satisfied with his performance and looked excited for Sunday's team event.

Another Chinese athlete Hang Zhou took the men's third place with a score of 95.58 points for his back Full Double Full Full.

The aerials World Cup continues with the team event taking place on Sunday. Ladies' qualifications start at 8:40 local time (1:40 CET) with men set to go at 10:55 local time (3:55 CET). The finals are again scheduled for 13:30 local time (6:30 CET).

Full Results Women    and Men