Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Totallympics

Track Cycling UCI World Championships 2018

AlFHg    88

Sadly there is no elimination race, unless the one run in the omnium competitions. I wonder why, as it probably is the most spectacular race, in my personal opinion. 

However, can't wait for the start. Italy is going to take parts in almost every event and finally it looks like we have returned to be a reference nation, at least in the endurance :d

• Like 1

OlympicsFan    231

I am very surprised to see Stefan Bötticher back, never dreamt of this happening, amazing news for german cycling. For me its a scandal that he wasnt allowed to compete individually here, but i guess some people were afraid of him, especially since the situation wasnt much different than the situation we had with Bos last year.

On the other hand i am very sad that Max Niederlag ended his career, but if you cant motivate yourself anymore its better to end your career than to take away a spot from a motivated athlete. Domenic Weinstein, by far the most important athlete of the german team pursuit team wont compete due to illness, so if Germany ever had a small medal chance in this event, the chance is gone now.

German expectations:

2 x gold in womens sprint/keirin

Medal in womens team sprint

Medal in mens team sprint

Every other medal in an olympic discipline would be a surprise, unless Eilers finally gets his shit together in Keirin ...

With 2 more golds here Kristina Vogel could tie Anna Mears' record of 11 gold medals. Doing it at 27 years of age would make it even more impressive in my opinion. If she continues her dominance until 2020, she could very well put the record out of everyone's reach for a very long time.

I am really looking forward to see whether Pauline Grabosch can do some damage here.

Edited by OlympicsFan

JoshMartini007    164
7 hours ago, AlFHg said:

Sadly there is no elimination race, unless the one run in the omnium competitions. I wonder why, as it probably is the most spectacular race, in my personal opinion. 

However, can't wait for the start. Italy is going to take parts in almost every event and finally it looks like we have returned to be a reference nation, at least in the endurance :d

The elimination race is great to watch. I imagine the UCI doesn't want another long distance event, especially one that would be around the same distance as the scratch race, even if the strategies within the events are different.

AlFHg    88
36 minuti fa, JoshMartini007 ha scritto:

The elimination race is great to watch. I imagine the UCI doesn't want another long distance event, especially one that would be around the same distance as the scratch race, even if the strategies within the events are different.

I'm surprised most of all that UCI doesn't complain with IOC for low number of events in track cycling. Potentially, track cycling (and cycling in general) could be as popular as athletics or acquatics, and it will definitely deserve more medal events

carivan    72
hace 7 minutos, AlFHg said:

I'm surprised most of all that UCI doesn't complain with IOC for low number of events in track cycling. Potentially, track cycling (and cycling in general) could be as popular as athletics or acquatics, and it will definitely deserve more medal events

I agree, but I think they see road as the money-maker. There's a reason guys like Gaviria leave track (and he's killing it in road so it's hard to fault him).

I will be paying close attention to the keirin, of course.

JoshMartini007    164
10 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

Athletics and aquatics are much more popular than track cycling

AlFHg    88
Adesso, JoshMartini007 ha scritto:

True, and it essentially for two main reasons:

1) you don't need specific structures for practicing it (at least at lower levels)

2) no great "characters" exist in cycling, and especially in track cycling

If UCI cannot do anything for the first, then it should work on the second: add medal events in the programme of world championships and world cup so that three/four athletes can be rivals in 5/6 different sports. That is how popularity starts, according to me

heywoodu    3,204
1 minute ago, AlFHg said:

True, and it essentially for two main reasons:

1) you don't need specific structures for practicing it (at least at lower levels)

2) no great "characters" exist in cycling, and especially in track cycling

If UCI cannot do anything for the first, then it should work on the second: add medal events in the programme of world championships and world cup so that three/four athletes can be rivals in 5/6 different sports. That is how popularity starts, according to me

Characters very much exist especially in road cycling, but yeah, in track cycling it's all a bit smaller in terms of attention. Maybe because there's so few big events, like I get the feeling at half the World Cups it's mostly the C-level riders who even are there. 

JoshMartini007    164

I agree, there's no reason to not have a bunch of events at the World Championship though they should spend a few years introducing it at world cup to increase participation.

heywoodu    3,204
6 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

In terms of participation mostly? For me aquatics has the same kind of problem: there's barely anything big outside of the world championships, whereas in athletics you've got stuff like Diamond League all throughout the year, swimming has a World Cup circuit with 5 athletes who care about it. And track cycling has what, 3 World Cup events? Not sure if that has grown by now, but I remember the entire World Cup season existing of only a handful of events.

• Like 1

AlFHg    88
7 minuti fa, carivan ha scritto:

I agree, but I think they see road as the money-maker. There's a reason guys like Gaviria leave track (and he's killing it in road so it's hard to fault him).

I will be paying close attention to the keirin, of course.

It doesn't surprise me a lot: road and track cycling are connected very well: Australia was not a great example of power in road cycling but they had structures for track cycling and in early 2000s the best cronomen were all Australian.

Probably, to make cycling more popular in general, UCI should follow the example of the UIPM with laser run, by creating a circuit of criterium in a number of cities, obviously big cities. 

I was just thinking if something like a parallel sprint, like the PGS in the winter olympic, could be a good idea