website statistics

Track Cycling UCI World Championships 2018

Totallympics

6 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Athletics and aquatics are much more popular than track cycling

In terms of participation mostly? For me aquatics has the same kind of problem: there's barely anything big outside of the world championships, whereas in athletics you've got stuff like Diamond League all throughout the year, swimming has a World Cup circuit with 5 athletes who care about it. And track cycling has what, 3 World Cup events? Not sure if that has grown by now, but I remember the entire World Cup season existing of only a handful of events.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minuti fa, carivan ha scritto:

I agree, but I think they see road as the money-maker. There's a reason guys like Gaviria leave track (and he's killing it in road so it's hard to fault him).

I will be paying close attention to the keirin, of course.

It doesn't surprise me a lot: road and track cycling are connected very well: Australia was not a great example of power in road cycling but they had structures for track cycling and in early 2000s the best cronomen were all Australian.

Probably, to make cycling more popular in general, UCI should follow the example of the UIPM with laser run, by creating a circuit of criterium in a number of cities, obviously big cities. 

I was just thinking if something like a parallel sprint, like the PGS in the winter olympic, could be a good idea

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I agree, there's no reason to not have a bunch of events at the World Championship though they should spend a few years introducing it at world cup to increase participation.

Agreed, although I do think a world championships is not that bad to add events even when not completely tested yet. The problem is coming up with some events now and adding it to the Olympics at the very first possibility, but having it at the world championships of a specific sport is no problem in my opinion.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

il y a 5 minutes, JoshMartini007 a déclaré:

Athletics and aquatics are much more popular than track cycling

The 'popularity' of swimming is only worth of the million+ of medals they are giving away during each olympics. If it was not for that, it would just be just one olympic sports among others.

T&F is a different beast.

2 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

Characters very much exist especially in road cycling

Yes, but in the late 2000s, the "golden period" of doping, cycling was best known for this rather than other...

I mean, UCI makes a lot for discover doping, together with IWF is one of the best federations in this field, but they seem like frozen when it comes to renovate sports

il y a 4 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

In terms of participation mostly? For me aquatics has the same kind of problem: there's barely anything big outside of the world championships, whereas in athletics you've got stuff like Diamond League all throughout the year, swimming has a World Cup circuit with 5 athletes who care about it. And track cycling has what, 3 World Cup events? Not sure if that has grown by now, but I remember the entire World Cup season existing of only a handful of events.

Six, next year ! :woohoo:

Just now, AlFHg said:

Yes, but in the late 2000s, the "golden period" of doping, cycling was best known for this rather than other...

I mean, UCI makes a lot for discover doping, together with IWF is one of the best federations in this field, but they seem like frozen when it comes to renovate sports

The problem is that especially road cycling is a sport that shouldn't have too much 'innovation' in terms of competition format. It's really very simple: go from point A to point B the fastest and you win, and that's how it should be. The bigger options for innovation are in stuff like high-quality cameras in the peloton or something. 

2 minuti fa, De_Gambassi ha scritto:

The 'popularity' of swimming is only worth of the million+ of medals they are giving away during each olympics. If it was not for that, it would just be just one olympic sports among others.

T&F is a different beast.

Quite agreeing with you, but according to me still stands the fact that swimming can be easily practiced (or attempt to be practiced).

However, you said something so obvious but so different to understand for all international federations, IOC first: the more medals there are at the olympics, the more it gains interests. Then, if you have capable CEOs, you can be able to keep the acquired popularity

1 minuto fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

The problem is that especially road cycling is a sport that shouldn't have too much 'innovation' in terms of competition format. It's really very simple: go from point A to point B the fastest and you win, and that's how it should be. The bigger options for innovation are in stuff like high-quality cameras in the peloton or something. 

Sure, it's true, and that comes for the World Cup or similar. But why don't bring cycling in the main cities? I said it before, why don't try to create a circuit of criteria in the biggest cities?

One other thing that has just started floating in my mind is this: why don't make parallel sprint competitions, not by individuals but by teams? (I mean, Italians invented "the train" (sorry, can't say in other ways xD), why don't see which team/nation can be the one to beat?