website statistics

South American Games 2018

vinipereira

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

Without a doubt. However USOC won't support because of LA2028.

Or we (LA) could just hold those as a test event. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 horas atrás, vinipereira disse:

I agree, but I guess they can gain experience over time. The altitude is a real deal breaker, though. Many athletes suffered a lot during this competition - one brazilian swimmer almost passed out in a event and some table tennis athletes were vomiting. For a competition that act as Olympic qualification for many sports, this isn't ideal.

Did this only happen to Brazilian athletes? Or did these things mostly happen to Brazilians? I saw the picture where Gui Lin (table tennis) looked like she would pass out at any moment, and it makes me think that maybe our athletes are not trained to face harsh conditions, because they always seem to be affected by altitude when they go to Bolivia. I mean, I can imagine how hard it is, but if things are hard for Brazilians, they are hard for everyone else. It makes me think that maybe some of them are just slacking off (not Gui Lin, of course). You know, sometimes Brazilian athletes just blame it on anything else but themselves. I remember Daniele Hypólito mentioning she had a terrible day during qualifications at the 2012 Olympics because her brother fell on floor the day before and she was too worried about him. Funny thing is that her brother had a perfect day in 2016 and she fell on floor the next day. Ugh. Not to mention Fabiana Murer and three Olympic disasters where she was the one to blame, but she put the blame on the poles, the wind... 

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

Did this only happen to Brazilian athletes? Or did these things mostly happen to Brazilians? I saw the picture where Gui Lin (table tennis) looked like she would pass out at any moment, and it makes me think that maybe our athletes are not trained to face harsh conditions, because they always seem to be affected by altitude when they go to Bolivia. I mean, I can imagine how hard it is, but if things are hard for Brazilians, they are hard for everyone else. It makes me think that maybe some of them are just slacking off (not Gui Lin, of course). You know, sometimes Brazilian athletes just blame it on anything else but themselves. I remember Daniele Hypólito mentioning she had a terrible day during qualifications at the 2012 Olympics because her brother fell on floor the day before and she was too worried about him. Funny thing is that her brother had a perfect day in 2016 and she fell on floor the next day. Ugh. Not to mention Fabiana Murer and three Olympic disasters where she was the one to blame, but she put the blame on the poles, the wind... 

No, it's not the same for everyone, altitude has less effect on chileans, colombians, peruvians and ecuatorians since many of their main cities have altitude as well.

2 hours ago, LDOG said:

No, it's not the same for everyone, altitude has less effect on chileans, colombians, peruvians and ecuatorians since many of their main cities have altitude as well.

Most of Oceanian nations are good at altitude too :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Em 6/10/2018 at 00:57, LDOG disse:

Fair enough, but they knew where the competition was going to be staged, so there's no excuse for not preparing their athletes. I mean, they can't just send the athletes to a competition and hope for the best, wishing they don't pass out after they did not have adequate training under the circumstances they would have to face during competition.