website statistics

South American Games 2018

vinipereira

Thought it as a good idea to open this thread since we're already talking about the Games in other topics.

BTW, here's Brazil team for Swimming (20 under-20 athletes):

Men's
André Luiz Souza
Breno Correia
Bruce Hanson Cruz Almeida
Fernando Scheffer
Gabriel Fantoni
Guilherme Costa
Kaue da Silva Carvalho
Marco Antonio Ferreira Jr
Matheus Gonche
Yuri Querino

Women's

Ana Carolina Vieira
Beatriz Dizotti
Beatriz Lysy
Bruna Leme
Camila Melo
Clarissa Rodrigues
Fernanda Goeij
Gabrielle Roncatto
Luanna Oliveira
Rafaela Raurich

• 1 month later...

Official recommendation from our Olympic Committee to all federations is to send young athletes to all sports, although that's not an obligation and some sports might send the "A" team (unlikely for the big sports except maybe Athletics), especially the ones where Brazil is not that good like Fencing. Our young Judo team was announced:

Men's

Robson Penna (-60kg)
Michael Marcelino (-66kg)
David Lima (-73kg)
Tiago Pinho (-81kg)
Giovani Ferreira (-90kg)
Leonardo Gonçalves (-100kg)
João Cesarino (+100kg)

Women's

Larissa Farias (-48kg)
Larissa Pimenta (-52kg)
Gabrielle Gonzaga (-57kg)
Gabriella Moraes (-63kg)
Bruna Campos (-70kg)
Laislaine Rocha (-78kg)
Luiza Cruz (+78kg)

55 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Argentina is sending a B team in swimming because the NOC denied funds to the swimming federation to make special altitude training for this competition.:(

Is that confirmed?, i read that from Ernesto Rodriguez but i dont see it from another journalist.

2 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Official recommendation from our Olympic Committee to all federations is to send young athletes to all sports, although that's not an obligation and some sports might send the "A" team (unlikely for the big sports except maybe Athletics), especially the ones where Brazil is not that good like Fencing. Our young Judo team was announced:

Men's

Robson Penna (-60kg)
Michael Marcelino (-66kg)
David Lima (-73kg)
Tiago Pinho (-81kg)
Giovani Ferreira (-90kg)
Leonardo Gonçalves (-100kg)
João Cesarino (+100kg)

Women's

Larissa Farias (-48kg)
Larissa Pimenta (-52kg)
Gabrielle Gonzaga (-57kg)
Gabriella Moraes (-63kg)
Bruna Campos (-70kg)
Laislaine Rocha (-78kg)
Luiza Cruz (+78kg)

Thanks god, the olympic champion wont go but our team has a gold chance after this.

These games will be bad though, all the venues are either bad or unfinished + the altitude that will make things hard for many athletes.

It's important to rotate countries, but if someone is just not capable of hosting there's no way around it.

1 hour ago, konig said:

Is an unacceptable understimation of this tournament from the Brazilian NOC......but is just my opinion.

Do people in South America really care about the South American Games? I mean, at the time of the European Games really nobody did apart from a few die hard fans, and it never felt like a major competition.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

hace 13 minutos, heywoodu said:

Do people in South America really care about the South American Games? I mean, at the time of the European Games really nobody did apart from a few die hard fans, and it never felt like a major competition.. 

It depends. If you're hosting, you care. But to be fair, in Colombia it has to compete for attention the same years where we go to the games that have Cuba. I'd even say the Bolivarians get more attention because they're seen as a battle against Venezuela and as a measuring stick. 

The Panams do matter tho, which are more akin to your European example.