website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Daily Reviews

For France it was both a great (first medal, and it's a gold one. I wasn't able to watch the final live but when I did and saw Perrine crying it made me emotional too :')) and a disappointing day (biathlon of course. But I'm not worried, Fourcade was the fastest and with 3 misses he's still 8th and only 22 seconds behind. In Sochi he was 6th in the sprint and then won 2 gold medals and 1 silver medal so, again, I'm not really worried and waiting to see what's gonna happen tomorrow :))

Also 5th place for Manificat in cc skiing, good result! I hope we can have a medal in relay like last time.

Luge was definitely today's highlight. So happy for the athletes that won medals. Gleirscher winning was even more surprising than Achtereekte's gold. It was also tragic to see Loch's burst of emotions following the crash...

Other than that, it was so-so. Biathlon was pretty exciting. Speed skating however was less exciting than yesterday, as the winner couldn't have been more obvious. Slopestyle and moguls were alright. Cross-country was quite disappointing sadly.

On a plus side, Crnković achieved our best individual men's cross-country result since 1994.

Gutted for Australia and New Zealand's near misses, but by the same token happy for Kazakhstan.

8/10

#banbestmen

Day 2 in my perspective:

1. Biathlon - very interesting with some surprising results. Peiffer was great.

2. Cross country - pitty for Cologna. I hoped he can repeat Tour de ski

3. Moguls - nice performance,i expected gold for Canada.

4. Slopestyle - overall it was bad. 1st run was extremelly weak. 

5. Speed skating - i didnt watch it live but obvious outcome. 

6. Luge - very sorry for Loch but at least i can say that i watched one of the most interesting races in past decade or so

Il y a 5 heures , De_Gambassi a déclaré:

Between every outsiders (~6 biathletes), Fauconnet, and Manificat  Most of them had only relative small chances, but three medals by today could have been on the cards.

Yes, but then we would be ahead of the par, now we're just below 

It was a rather dull day.

Alpine skiing was cancelled again (luckily I slept it through anyway), and slopestyle final was irregular to say the least... Biathlon races weren't exactly interesting, women's race in particular. Women's ski jumping, while regular, wasn't exactly competitive (and as it turned out, it was the most predictable event of the entire Olympics thus far...).

Speed skating race was alright, but with some disappointments. Luge was less exciting than the previous days. Halfpipe though was unexpectadly fun, and also figure skating delivered the amazing, near perfect 3A from Nagasu...

This day also marked our first ever participation in the sport of luge. :)

Overall I give it 6/10...

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

once again, today couldn't feel the emotion of the Olympics...

day 3 was just another day at the office, with no particular highlight...

the biathlon races were just among the less exciting of the season, the women's slopestyle was almost a farce (the only consolation is the fact that the best in the field still managed to win the Gold medal), Luge, after that men's race, can't match the excitement anymore...

no comment on ski jumping (I just don't like it enough) and Ice Hockey (I like it too much to stand games like today's)...

so, my highlights of the day were speedskating (actually, quite a decent race, but not so spectacular...and pity for my favourite, Marrit Leenstra, who "only" got the bronze medal) and men's Moguls, with some outstanding runs (Kingsbury :bowdown:) and some spectacular falls, too (Choi and Endo's in particular)...

and tomorrow it's going to be a nightmare, with many interesting medal events scheduled at the same time...and this won't help me and my feelings about these Games...:facepalm:

Day 3:

1. Biathlon - women race was uninteresting and uneventfull. Well deserved win for Laura,she is turning into star number 1 of these games. Mens race was interesting,Martin doing his routine with impresive Swedish.

2. Moguls - Kingsbury was king. Totally deserved win. Also Hara was great. 

3. Slopestyle - didnt watch it live except for last 3 races. Later i saw tbe rerun,wasnt impresed with what i saw at all. Only Jamie was great,totally deserved gold.

4. Luge - i expected German domination. But Hufner was my pick for the gold. So it could be very interesting to watch tomorrow.

5. Speed skating - great Irene. But Takagi was so close. One of the most intersting races i saw in a while.

6. Hockey - i saw both matches,at least last 1/3. Nothing special,game between mouse and a cat. Japan was at least decently fighting.

7. Figure skating - i saw only reruns,it was interesting. I am waiting for individual events. 

I think that was it. Overall,nice day. 

The events I watched today (Biathlon m/w, luge, ski jumping) were all not the best I've seen, but what annoys me much more is that I missed lots of events because it seems like everything is taking place at the same time. Why are there hourlong pauses with basically nothing taking place and then numerous medal decisions all taking place in the same hour. The scheduling of this olympic games is so abysmal :wall:

1. Biathlon - Women's race, nice to see Dahlmeier win, but I would have liked some sort of excitement...men's race was decent, but mostly Samuelsson getting silver was absolutely awesome.

2. Moguls - Lot of falls and stuff like that, but I guess it was alright. Didn't get too excited though.

3. Slopestyle - There was slopestyle?

4. Luge - Nice to see the North Americans at least challenge the Germans, and Eitberger being in there to challenge her teammates.

5. Speed skating - Unlike Kramer, Wüst was a great who actually got rather emotional about her gold, nice to see. Also beautiful to finally see Leenstra get a so deserved medal.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

today there has been a lot of ups and downs in "my Games"...

of course, it was really exciting for the Italian medals (especially Fontana's Gold...what a better way to honor the Flag she carried at the Opening ceremony that winning the first Gold medal of these Olympic Games for our Nation?)...

and technically, I saw a wonderful exhibition by Chloe Kim in the snowboard women's halfpipe...it was really a great show...one of the poster pictures of these games, for sure...

but some events were a farce (alpine skiing men's combined event) or just weren't close and exciting enough (mixed curling Gold medal match, both CC skiing Sprint finals and, in some way, also the speedskating men's 1500m didn't keep me involved until the very last moment as I'd have liked)...

and still, the scheduling sucks! :facepalm::wall: