website statistics

Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2018

Festival of Music: :PRK North Korea and :MGL Mongolia

:PRKRi Yong Suk - Bangapseumnida

(P.S. this is what I say about quality North Korean songs last year, @heywoodu :p )

:MGLJavhlan - Huh Shorgooljnii Domog

Edited by Griff88

Where Are They Now?

Continuing the "Where Are They Now?" series, today we remember the original TISC Annual artists representing :EGY:AZE and :IRL.

Let's take a trip down memory lane by listening once more to their contribution to our first Annual contest and follow it up with something more recent.

egypt-flag-animation.gif  Egypt

Song: Neoul Aih

Artist: Amr Diab

Song: Ya Agmal Eyoun

Artist: Amr Diab

azerbaijan-flag-animation.gif  Azerbaijan

Song: Damlalar

Artist: Natavan Həbibi

Song: SENE

Artist: Natavan Həbibi

ireland-flag-animation.gif  Ireland

Song: My Love Took Me Down To The River To Silence Me

Artist: Little Green Cars

Song: Easier Day

Artist: Little Green Cars

Edited by OlympicIRL

:COD Congo DR :COD

kokoko-1060444.jpg

KOKOKO! KOKOKO! KOKOKO! KOKOKO! KOKOKO! KOKOKO! KOKOKO! KOKOKO! KOKOKO!

Well... If this song participated in this TISC edition, it would be my absolute 12! I cannot describe how much I love this band and their song "Tokoliana". Original, quirky, absolutely creative, catchy, raw, with huge post-punk vibe, mixed with electronica, definitely danceable. Love it!

KOKOKO! is a collective of artists and musicians formed in Ngwaka, Democratic Republic of the Congo. Incredibly creative and friends since childhood, they invent their own instruments out of found objects: a one string guitar, a typewriter drum machine, water bottles pitched to play melodies, and a talk box made from a car cassette player. While such inventions came into being at first out of necessity (the artists not able to afford guitars), the group soon realized that the innovative instruments gave their music an original sound.

KOKOKO! linked up with Débruit, a French producer and serial fan of African music. Together, they have brought merged sonic worlds and, in doing so, electrified their raw psychedelic sound and took it out to downtown clubbing.

KOKOKO! typically improvise much of their music, and though they arranged and structured “Tokoliana” more formally, removing a few of their ad-hoc instruments and adding more traditional electronic sounds, that thrilling unpredictability remains. Their instrumentation moves at many speeds, sounding both vibrant and narcotic, and the many layers of percussion push the beat in and out of sync. Sometimes a metallic chime takes precedence, while other times, a bass line shines. KOKOKO! list Tupac, Biggie, and Congolese jazz as influences, but their noisy rhythms find some precedent in no wave groups like ESG, too. Cutting through the beat is a clear message: “We’re devouring each other,” they chant in Lingala, “Here in this jungle/ Like animals devouring each other.” Backed by bubbling instrumentals, this macabre chorus becomes almost tongue-in-cheek, and further demonstrates how KOKOKO! excel at turning chaos into euphoria.

:COD KOKOKO! - Tokoliana :COD

Further reading: 

https://www.kokokomusic.com/

http://www.okayafrica.com/kokoko-kinshasa-congo-music/

Tokoliana! Tokoliana! Tokoliana! :cool::wub::hearts: 

Live version:

Spoiler

Medal tables page has two new additions:

There used to be other kind of "all-time medal table", but that one has been renamed to "All-time jury medal table". Hopefully it's not as incredibly confusing as it looks. :d

#banbestmen

Fun fact, in the entire TISC history and between all participants, only one nation has managed to finish on the same position 4 times... And that was :IRL Ireland with its 4 wins. :lol:

India randomly has three 34th positions, while everything else are 1s and 2s. :p

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen