website statistics

Top athletes who will miss the Winter Olympic Games 2018

vor einer Stunde schrieb heywoodu:

Ah, how could I forget Luitz. 

And sure she counts, it's nothing formal or official, no problem. 

Of course the question is how you define it. Are athletes who weren't able to qualify due to injury really "missing" it? We can't know whether they would have been good enough to qualify without the injury.

Maybe another addition to the list:

Anna Holmlund (SWE) - Head injury (A hint for everyone who takes part in the 2018 olympics bet contest)

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

7 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Of course the question is how you define it. Are athletes who weren't able to qualify due to injury really "missing" it? We can't know whether they would have been good enough to qualify without the injury.

Maybe another addition to the list:

Anna Holmlund (SWE) - Head injury (A hint for everyone who takes part in the 2018 olympics bet contest)

True, I'd say someone like Bjoerndalen wouldn't really belong in a list like this, he just wasn't good enough, whereas someone like Bright had her injury as main reason (much like when a Dutch speed skater would have been injured all pre-season and due to that, finished right outside the qualifying places at the OQT). 

Right, Holmlund :( The athlete who makes all other names on this list look like they had only a relatively small bit of bad luck, since broken bones and torn ACL's will heal, but the possiblity of permanent brain damage is a whole different level.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I'll start out with what I've got in mind at the moment. There's a lot of torn ACL's in there, feel free to correct me if that's not technically correct since I'm quick to count a knee injury as a torn ACL :p 

Alpine skiing
Marie-Michele Gagnon (CAN) - Torn ACL at the Lake Louise World Cup

Travis Ganong (USA) - Torn ACL at the Bormio World Cup

Jacqueline Wiles (USA) - Torn ACL (?) + double leg fracture at the Garmisch World Cup

Erik Guay (CAN) - Back injury

Felix Neureuther (GER) - Knee injury

Steven Nyman (USA) - ?

Freestyle skiing

Kelly Sildaru (EST) - Torn ACL

Lisa Zimmermann (GER) - Torn ACL

Heidi Zacher (GER) - Torn ACL

Georgia Simmerling (CAN) - ?

Ski jumping

Severin Freund (GER) - Torn ACL

Biathlon

Gabriela Koukalova (CZE) - Leg injury?

Snowboarding

Sabine Schöffmann (AUT) - Fractured fibula + torn ligaments at the Bansko World Cup

Simmerling broke both her legs IIRC.

36 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Alpine skiing: Ilka Stuhec (torn ACL)

Another one of those "how could I forget that" athletes.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 6 Stunden schrieb dcro:

Pogorilaya it's not just back injury... Also a result of the infamous "Pogo fail".

Meaning that Russian selectors probably wouldn't pick her even if she wasn't injured.

They don't need to select her, they have Zagitova (Hint: Everyone who participates in the olympics bet contest should look up her age ...) and Medvedeva. I am only sad that Lipnitskaya won't participate, all the other skaters are pretty much interchangeable for me.

About figure skating: The question whether any nation will win individual medals on both sides is one of the best/hardest questions in my opinion, whoever came up with that did a really good job.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Agger:

Man, this is so sad. Only a few days away from her first olympic race with a chance to maybe even win a medal and then this happens.

Another alpine skier unfortunately missing the events is edit miklos. I don't know if you can call her a top athlete but it's just sad that a rather small winter olympic country like hungary loses its only skier with top ten potential and even a small chance to win a medal.