website statistics

Formula 1 FIA World Championship 2018

heywoodu

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I'd rather settle for Zandvoort myself though that's old school track too. Do they still have that big sweeping bend in the final corner that leads to the S/F line? That could offer some passing into Turn 1. Tunnel Oost has the chicane put there like in the 80s? So it's no longer the killer corner? I didn't watch any races on Zandvoort for a while and missed this season's DTM round there so I don't recall exactly if they did some upgrades lately.

It's still the same Zandvoort as it has been for 10-15 years, so if you've watched DTM there in that time, you'll know it :p Too bad F1 makes no sound anymore basically, but I truly adore Zandvoort, sitting on and walking around in the dunes surrounding the track, hearing the roar of the engines (DTM, A1GP, sadly not F1) echo through the dunes :wub:

Yep, that last sweeping corner, the Arie Luyendijkbocht, although it's not like in the days of F1 in Zandvoort (when it was huge, as you can see on the light grey line on the map). Personally I have always loved the Tarzanbocht, it kinda has a banking, making for some really good potential overtaking because there's two different lines possible. The Hunserug is awesome as well, a fast flowing uphill part, followed by the Scheivlak, which is yet another really fast and cool turn. 

Circuit_Zandvoort_1.png

The only issue with Zandvoort is that it's a rather small place and it is gonna be absolute horror if they let people go there by car. The only viable option for that is to stop all traffic somewhere 10-15-20km outside of Zandvoort, have some big parkings there and rent a shitload of shuttle busses between parkings and race track. There is a train station a 20-25 minutes walk away which will definitely be overflowing with people, although it's a little problematic that there is only one line going in and out of Zandvoort (it's the final destination of that line, so it stops there and then goes back instead of continues) :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I remember the old Zandvoort F1 races, 1983 was probably the best of them when Piquet & Prost tangled in a forgotten incident so I know how that last corner looked like. It was the old Parabolica-like at Monza.

I last watched a DTM race there ca. 2012-2013 and yeah, Tarzan is still the best overtaking spot for modern cars IMO.

19 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I remember the old Zandvoort F1 races, 1983 was probably the best of them when Piquet & Prost tangled in a forgotten incident so I know how that last corner looked like. It was the old Parabolica-like at Monza.

I last watched a DTM race there ca. 2012-2013 and yeah, Tarzan is still the best overtaking spot for modern cars IMO.

I just really hope they're not gonna build a big grandstand at the Tarzan corner. The dunes and hills of grass are absolutely part of the charm of Zandvoort (and they can get 110.000 people in there anyway, like they did in the biggest days of DTM there, around 15 years ago when Christijan Albers was fighting for wins and the title, DTM was huge here back then for a moment).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Robert Kubica will be announced as full-time Williams driver tomorrow :bounce:

Hopefully this time it is finally true :d 

With Albon going to Toro Rosso, we have the lineup for the 2019 F1 season. Stroll is still not confirmed as Racing Point Force India driver, but his dad owns the shit (I know mom, language) and he drives one of the cars for the test races. Lance Stroll drives for Racing Point Force India in 2019. Odds: Yes: 1.01, No: 500.00 .

image.png.9f47c888dec308bd717bd4329e09cc53.png

Edited by wumo26

12 drivers driving a car they didn't drive this year, that's a ton of changes to get used to :d