website statistics

Short Track Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

Totallympics

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Thanks! Interesting to know that Knegt apparently means "to nod" in english ... :mumble:

'Knegt' is an English word or am I missing something? :p 

Because in Dutch it most definitely doesn't mean 'to nod', when spoken it means the same as a possible word for 'assistent/help' (which is written 'knecht', but pronounced the same). 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 2 Minuten schrieb heywoodu:

Me too, but this win doesn't change anything about my confidence in that bet. I still think it is highly unlikely for South Korea to literally win all short track gold medals.

So are we "allowed" to talk about our predictions now?

I bet 10 points in 20 cases and 1 point in all other cases. Most of the 10 point bets were pretty obvious (no nation will win 2 golds on day 1 for example), but the last 3 or 4 were very difficult, for example whether Czech Republic will win at least 1 gold in snowboarding or whether the athlete leading men's skiathlon at half-point will eventually win it.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb heywoodu:

'Knegt' is an English word or am I missing something? :p 

Because in Dutch it most definitely doesn't mean 'to nod', when spoken it means the same as a possible word for 'assistent/help' (which is written 'knecht', but pronounced the same). 

I used google translator dutch <-> german and it told me that knegt means "nicken", which is german for nodding. But in german "knecht" means servant.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

13 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I used google translator dutch <-> german and it told me that knegt means "nicken", which is german for nodding. But in german "knecht" means servant.

Servant, that's the better word I was looking for but couldn't find, yes. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I guess I should be happy that the Canadians at least stayed on their feet this time around.  Not too disappointed, they will have other opportunities, but they didn't do their best that final.  Glad our women moved on in the 500m and relay, though.  

9 racers in a final is crazy.  

vor einer Stunde schrieb hckosice:

Men´s 1500m

1. Lim Hyo-Jun :KOR 2:10.485 (OR), 2. Sjinkie Knegt :NED 2:10.555, 3. Semen Elistratov :WHT 2:10.687

Short+Track+Speed+Skating+Winter+Olympic

Semen Elistratov and Semen Pavlyuchenko, really interesting.

I just saw that Anna Seidel made the 500 m quartefinal (didn't even know that she competed in this event), could some expert please tell me whether she has any chance to advance/is there something like a repechage in case you are eliminated?

I think Christie and Boutin will beat her, unless they crash?

Should we expect the following results?

Quartefinal 1:

Fontana and St Gelais advance

Quartefinal 2:

Christie and Boutin advance

Quarterfinal 3:

Kexin and Prosvirnova advance

Quarterfinal 4:

Choi and Chu advance

How will the two semifinals be put together? Athletes from Quartefinal 1 & 2 -> Semifinal 1?

Women´s 500m Quarterfinals Heats

*the Top 2 from each heat will qualify for the Semifinals

Men´s 1000m Heats

*the Top 2 from each heat will qualify for the Quarterfinals

Men´s 5000m Relay Semifinals Heats

*the Top 2 from each heat will qualify for the Finals