website statistics

Short Track Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

Totallympics

I hope she takes the gold right out of some Korean hands in other events. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 1 Stunde schrieb heywoodu:

I hope she takes the gold right out of some Korean hands in other events. 

I don't hope so. By saying that you are basically showing the same behavior as the korean fans, of course at a much less harmful level. They blamed her for a (possible) mistake by the judges, now you "blame" the korean athletes (by basically wishing them bad luck) for the things their (supposed) fans did. It's bad enough that politics infiltrated sports again, but to see people threating someone's life because of a sports result is a quite shocking for me. It's good to be passionate about sports, but with those people i have the feeling that they are not really passionate about sport but more about their national pride. I think it would be great if everyone could turn it down a notch, if we haven't reached the "point of no return" by now of course.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

On 2/14/2018 at 07:00, orangeman said:

This is normal for Korea (I lived there for 10 years).  Look up what happened to Apollo Ohno.  Or FIFA in 2006.  Or boxing at the 1988 Olympics.

Story: At London in 2012 Park Tae-Hwan was DQed for a false start in the 400m swimming heat.  That moved Canadian Ryan Cochrane into the final (this decision was later overturned, for no good reason I might add).  I was the lone Canadian (or foreigner of any kind) at my place of work in Seoul and I was greeted the next day with anger, yelling and insults by my co-workers.  I was told it was all a conspiracy by the swimming association and Canada to discredit Korea and push the Canadian into the final.  After I was done laughing at the idea that Canada had any sway with the swimming federation, I just hid in my room the rest of the day.  I was kicked out of the lunch room at noon, but when Park was re-instated later that day I was mocked relentlessly and my country insulted.  This all by grown educated adults who I had been "friends" with for years.  For the duration of those Olympics I was reminded daily by several co-workers of how many more medals Korea won compared to Canada while being laughed at.  Koreans, in general, are terrible losers AND terrible winners.  Their English word for cheating is "Cunning", just to let you know their view on the subject, by the way.  

Right after the race last night, I turned to my friend and told him, "And here come the death threats!".  I enjoyed my time in Korea and have made some lovely Korean friends.  But this is also a country where every international sporting event I went to, locals would stand for their own national anthem and then sit for the other country's while loudly talking away.  I want our hockey team to destroy them.  Just absolutely smash them.  Unfortunately half the Korean team is Canadian, so it'll probably be pretty close.  

Wow.

Almost the same condition in Indonesia, extreme nationalism everywhere and full of bigotry. And the idea of Chinese-descent athlete competing for other countries aren't welcome here.. (despite some of our greatest athletes are Chinese-descent)

But average Indonesian 'love' foreigners (i.e. white guys) and I can't think any sport that Indonesia are competing with Canada. So you will just fine here :p

On 2/14/2018 at 22:16, OlympicsFan said:

I don't hope so. By saying that you are basically showing the same behavior as the korean fans, of course at a much less harmful level. They blamed her for a (possible) mistake by the judges, now you "blame" the korean athletes (by basically wishing them bad luck) for the things their (supposed) fans did. It's bad enough that politics infiltrated sports again, but to see people threating someone's life because of a sports result is a quite shocking for me. It's good to be passionate about sports, but with those people i have the feeling that they are not really passionate about sport but more about their national pride. I think it would be great if everyone could turn it down a notch, if we haven't reached the "point of no return" by now of course.

Does Korea have political problems with Canada ?