website statistics

Skeleton at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games

George_D

7 hours ago, Jur said:

So, there's place for 12 north korean hockey players but IOC can't make room for a usual World Cup competitor from a small and exotic country with no other competitors at this game. Sometimes IOC is dificult to understand for me. If there are cases where the rules "can" be break are cases like this one.

Also, why is the men's skeleton field so big? Is not like this is a sport werethe women are not competitive.

The women's field is more competitive even. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just read that the British team are all going to be racing with brand new sleds from the English Institute of Sport (the same organisation closely linked with our track cycling equipment at the Olympics)! May not make much of a difference, but these sleds will not be used in any other competition so there must be something 'special' about them...

we'll just have to wait and see!

Edited by uk12points

2 minutes ago, uk12points said:

Just read that the British team are all going to be racing with brand new sleds from the English Institute of Sport (the same organisation closely linked with our track cycling equipment at the Olympics)! May not make much of a difference, but these sleds will not be used in any other competition so there must be something 'special' about them...

we'll just have to wait and see!

Oh boy. We've all seen how that magic works on the cycling track. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Looks like no gold for Yun after all, cool. :p

Not cool, I hate losing money :d 

13 minutes ago, Dragon said:

What they usually do in cycling is use all the new parts over the year before the Olympics but only use them all together at the Olympics.

Not sure that can work in Skeleton?

I agree with you, I'm not convinced either. I reckon this is more of a psychological tactic which they've announced just as everyone's moving into the athletes village and beginning training on the track. I think the very technical design of the course wil have more of an impact than any sled because it sounds very different from most the tracks athletes are used to.

1 hour ago, uk12points said:

I agree with you, I'm not convinced either. I reckon this is more of a psychological tactic which they've announced just as everyone's moving into the athletes village and beginning training on the track. I think the very technical design of the course wil have more of an impact than any sled because it sounds very different from most the tracks athletes are used to.

It could backfire. I remember the US speed skating team getting new suits before the 2014 Olympics. It got so bad that they actually flew the old suits to Sochi for them to wear.

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It could backfire. I remember the US speed skating team getting new suits before the 2014 Olympics. It got so bad that they actually flew the old suits to Sochi for them to wear.

I remember that, the pressure of 'we have new suits, now we're awesome' seemed to got a bit too much. Curious how these British sleds will work out, who knows, maybe for the women it might lead to something nice for Deas or even Yarnold if she somehow manages to stay more than two turns without a mistake.