website statistics

Bobsleigh at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

George_D

vor 1 Minute schrieb thepharoah:

Yes , my words specifically for Canadian members here who're upset to share the gold , not sure about Germans but I think they should be the happier side now as this gold was very crucial for them to keep fighting for 1st place , so overall it should be a happy end for many fans around the world , especially of those who don't care much about bobsleigh and like to see those moments happen in Olympics

I'm happy for the tied gold - but it's not about the damn medal ranking, it's about the athletes who deserve the gold after dominating the last couple of years. Nice to see the gold shared with Kripps - he deserves that too. The medal ranking is just a source for generating nationalism and what it's worth can be seen by the first ranked nation in 2014. Our Chef the mission said that he prefers a fair play medal over the first place in the medal ranking.

Just now, LowerSaxony said:

I'm happy for the tied gold - but it's not about the damn medal ranking, it's about the athletes who deserve the gold after dominating the last couple of years. Nice to see the gold shared with Kripps - he deserves that too. The medal ranking is just a source for generating nationalism and what it's worth can be seen by the first ranked nation in 2014. Our Chef the mission said that he prefers a fair play medal over the first place in the medal ranking.

Yep, and for people caring more about random, 'colourless' athletes who just happen to have the same kind of passport over athletes who are the best kind of people, who have some story which would make them beautiful winners, and so on. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I don't see caring about topping medals table is some sort of nationalism , everyone wants his/her country to be the best , it's something innate in human being ofc  by fair play , IMO it's normal thing as long as u do respect others 

vor 1 Minute schrieb thepharoah:

I don't see caring about topping medals table is some sort of nationalism , everyone wants his/her country to be the best , it's something innate in human being ofc  by fair play , IMO it's normal thing as long as u do respect others 

This is exactly the definition of nationalism ;)

Why should I want Germany to be at the top of the ranking? It's cool if they win medals (of course, if they are nice people and deserve). But if another country wins more - does it make the won medals worthless? I would prefer for example 10 golds and be 2nd in the ranking over 9 golds and be on the top of the medal ranking. I wouldn't understand any other reasoning. Russia could not stand not to be at the top - for that reason they established a state-sponsored doping system and ruined the entire 2014 olympics and THESE medals are worthless at all.

Another disgusting result, thank god i couldn't watch this. After the last couple of years, this is an absolutely shocking result, almost as bad as 4 years ago.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb thepharoah:

Would be a total disaster for Germany if they won't win today 

Only winning 1 medal isn't much better. Overall another dreadful day. Norway winning another surprising gold, while Germany can't even win the safe gold medals. I hope that people who have something to say in german sport will accept that they have to do a much better job during the next 4 years, especially in sports where there are 1000 medals for basically the same skillset (cross-country and speed skating). Maybe the more recent results showed everyone that you have to be doped to the gills in those sports to win anything, so they will finally start to do the same. Germany was at the top about a decade ago (Cross-country: Angerer, Teichmann, Sommerfeldt, speed skating: Friesinger, Wolf, Niemann-Stirnemann), so they can't have forgotten how to be good in those sports.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

8 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

This is exactly the definition of nationalism ;)

Why should I want Germany to be at the top of the ranking? It's cool if they win medals (of course, if they are nice people and deserve). But if another country wins more - does it make the won medals worthless? I would prefer for example 10 golds and be 2nd in the ranking over 9 golds and be on the top of the medal ranking. I wouldn't understand any other reasoning. Russia could not stand not to be at the top - for that reason they established a state-sponsored doping system and ruined the entire 2014 olympics and THESE medals are worthless at all.

That's not what I meant ofc , as I said if u respect otheres and respect here means that u always accept it if u lose and admit that another athlete or team were the better side and deserve to win , other wise u see sport as a field of war and that's not what sport meant for , what I meant is that your love for your country motivates u to wish that they would the best , it's just like parents who wish their childs to be the best in the world and have the best life , but without motivating them to hate others and cheat to reach this goal 

38 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

That's all nice and swell, but this is the biggest sports competition. There is supposed to be only one that is the best.

Shared golds are just an easy way out. Not to mention incredibly unfair to 98% of sports where ties are impossible (or at least less likely).

#banbestmen

The chauvinist nature of the olympics IS the only reason why the Olympics are still a thing. Whithout it, there will be nothing on your screens, an no "nice" people for you guys to cheer for.

Cheering for someone because he shares the same nationality than you is no less idiotic than cheering for someone because he sounds nice on ITW or because your like his haircut. 

Gerade eben schrieb dcro:

That's all nice and swell, but this is the biggest sports competition. There is supposed to be only one that is the best.

Shared golds are just an easy way out. Not to mention incredibly unfair to 98% of sports where ties are impossible (or at least less likely).

True, but why bothering here? It's nobody's fault. Always possible if the winner is determined by the best time. You can change the rules, of course, but as it won't happen in bobsleigh, I don't see why not to be happy for both winners.