website statistics

How Many Medals do You Expect from Your Nation at the Winter Olympic Games 2018?

:CAN

Alpine skiing: 0 medals likely, maybe 1 by luck.

Biathlon: 0 medals likely, maybe 1 by luck

Bobsleigh: 2 medals (one men's and one women's)

Cross-country skiing: 0 medals likely, maybe 1 by luck

Curling: 3 medals, anything less would be a real shock. 

Figure skating: Team medal, ice dance and perhaps Osmond in the women's event. 3 medals.

Freestyle skiing: 2 moguls medals, one in women's ski cross, one in slopestyle, one in halfpipe. 5 total. 

Hockey: 2 medals (hard to gauge though)

Luge: 2 medals (one women's and one relay)

Nordic Combined: Not competing in the sport, so 0. :d

Skeleton: 0 medals likely, maybe 1 by luck

Ski jumping: 0 medals

Short track: 2 relay medals, Hamelin with an individual medal, the women with one individual medal. 4 medals.

Snowboarding: 2 medals in men's slopestyle and 2 medals in big air. 4 total. 

Speed skating: I think Bloeman will win 2 medals, a women's medal (likely Blondin) and maybe another one from the men. So 3-4.

Total: 32-37

34 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I think I said something similar about GBR and cycling at Rio.

"They'll be lucky to win 4 medals" I said :facepalm:

So expect Netherlands to win 30 medals this time.

:d 

Well, just like GBR's domination in track cycling, Dutch domination in speed skating is not a good thing for anyone who's actually a fan of the sport instead of purely cheering for the flag behind someone's name. So I hope a repeat of Sochi won't happen and realistically, a repeat of that domination is simply not likely :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

46 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Anyway. I´m not a  superstitious person, but my "medal" wish for this games will remain secret :d

Yeah, we have no idea who you've got your Slovak hopes on.... :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Looking at it per event doesn't really work well when trying to come up with a total number of medals, but alright, here we go:

No speed skating

Snowboarding: maybe 1 medal if someone pulls off an upset, not entirely unrealistic, but 0 medals is more likely

Shorttrack: most likely option is 0 medals, 1 is still far from unlikely and 2 would be great

Skeleton: depending on whether or not our NOC is being an asshole, an outsider 

Speed skating 
W 500m: 1 medal if everything works out perfect, most likely is 0 medals

W 1000m: 1 medal should be possible, 0 is just as much possible and on a fantastic day 2 is not impossible neither

W 1500m: should be 1 medal, possibly 2. 0 would be disappointing from a Dutch perspective

W 3000m: 1 medal, 0 and 2 is possible as well

W 5000m: not more than 1 medal

W TP: 1 medal if nothing weird happens

W mass start: 0 is the most likely, though 1 is almost just as much possible

M 500m: 10-20 medal contenders, so anything from 0-3 is possible. Most realistic would be 1

M 1000m: 2 medals is quite realistic, so is 1. 3 is not impossible neither (albeit with a smaller chance of course), 0 is not very realistic

M 1500m: at least 1 is rather likely, 2 is quite possible as well

M 5000m: should definitely be at least 1 medal, 2 medals would be a small surprise

M 10000m: should definitely be 1 medal, but 2 is pretty likely

M TP: 1 medal if nothing weird happens

M mass start: 0 is the most likely, though 1 is almost just as much possible

Which could make for a total of around....15/16 :d 

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, we have no idea who you've got your Slovak hopes on.... :p 

I told it, if we reach the quarterfinals I´ll be more than happy, but the medal is very unlikely even with our new Canadian coach and re-calmed general atmosphere resulting in the end of the Boycott of our 50 best players :old:

1 minute ago, hckosice said:

I told it, if we reach the quarterfinals I´ll be more than happy, but the medal is very unlikely even with our new Canadian coach and re-calmed general atmosphere resulting in the end of the Boycott of our 50 best players :old:

I wasn't talking about ice hockey :lol: