Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
LDOG

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Bet Contest Discussion Thread

dcro    2,074

9th place is bittersweet. I felt like I missed a lot of points, so finishing that high with couple of big misses is unfortunate.

Also, I thought there were negative points, so not wanting to take a full risk I used only some 240-245 pts. :p

OlympicsFan    162

Congrats to all the medallists.

I am very sad about this result, i think this was the most important contest and i had the perfect strategy, i just picked the wrong questions to bet 10 points on.

I was sure about the following bet, but ironically Germany messed it up for me:

1- On Day 1, the first 5 Gold Medals will be awarded to athletes from 5 different countries. [YES - 10]

The following bet was just stupid, dont know why i was so sure that the US would be better than Canada, probably because i thought that Shiffrin would win 3 golds:

5- Canada will finish ahead of the USA in the medal table. [NO - 10]

Same as for question number 5, Switzerland had some surprising gold medallists and Austria was rather disappointing in some events (alpine skiing team event, mens slalom, snowboard slopestyle, freestyle skiing):

10- Austria will finish ahead of Switzerland in the medal table. [YES - 10]

I was rather sure that Canada would win mens and womens curling gold, maybe some expert could tell me whether it was a stupid bet or not?

33- Canada will defend its Gold Medals in both the Men's and Women's events. [YES - 10]

Another bet that Germany messed up for me, although i still feel good about taking this risk, given the results of this season:

52- Germany will sweep (win Gold, Silver and Bronze) at least one of the individual events. [NO - 10] 

I thought about giving 10 points to the following questions, sadly i didnt ...

8- Excluding DNFs, at least one irish athlete will finish ahead of a briton. [YES - 1]

20- The podium of at least one event will feature only countries associated with the Alpine Region (Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Slovenia and/or Switzerland). [YES - 1]

37- Spain will win its first ever medal in Figure Skating. [YES - 1]

44- A team from Group B will defeat a team from Group A in the Quarterfinals of the Women's Tournament. [NO - 1]

57- The podium in the Women's Normal Hill will feature at least 2 of the following athletes: Katharina Althaus (GER), Sara Takanashi (JPN), Maren Lundby (NOR). [YES - 1]

58- In all individual events, at least 3 participants will be relegated or disqualified in the A-Finals. [YES - 1]

61- Czech Republic will win at least one Gold Medal. [YES - 1]

69- Four continents will win a medal. [NO - 1]

Edited by OlympicsFan

Pablita    51

Great Italian team and then we know where Dunadan was focusing :)

Thanks Ldog and quasit for the constest, it was my first time with this kind of contest but it was very enjoying even if I didn't go well.

phelps    329

at least this one saved my day (and pride)...:lol:

because in the other "classic" prediction contest I have to admit I feel ashamed of how much I did suck...:facepalm:

in any case, thanks to all the guys who spent their time to let us have fun with all these contests...

Henry_Leon    145

Congratulations at medallists and :ITA team !!!!

Thanks at the managers LDOG and Quasit for this contest.

Dmitry    32

Why the right answer was calculated as YES+NO in the 58 question in the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Bet Contest?