website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Bet Contest Discussion Thread

LDOG

2018BetContest.png

PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Bet Contest Final Standing available here

ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b.jpg.4a05d2852188ff96f934faa5edf1d813.jpg :ITA Dunadan
5a91983c5af54_ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b-Copy.jpg.034592cc412660cfe59ff1ce89ac476f.jpg :ITA phelps
5a91984c3d883_ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b-Copy(2).jpg.cd039f740e6494aa5156e15a6bb109f8.jpg :ITA Albe

Italian 1-2-3 for our Bet Contest! @Dunadan impressive as always, managed to obtain a mind-blowing 212 points out of a possible 250 (with 49 bets won). Second place for @phelps who won more bets than Dunadan (51 to be exact), but lost key points in a few bets. 3rd place for @Albe, who was the participant that won the most bets of all (54, really impressive).

A special mention to 4th placer @Nate River, unfortunately he couldn't give Canada the first prediction medal of the year (those missed 10-pointers in Speed Skating...).

With this, I now go back to prediction management retirement. I won't be organizing the next editions of Bet Contest (unless no one else is willing to do it), so thank you all for everything, from the Bet Contest Organization Committee (LDOG & Quasit) :)

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

A special mention to 4th placer @Nate River, unfortunately he couldn't give Canada the first prediction medal of the year (those missed 10-pointers in Speed Skating...).

66- There will be a clean sweep (to win Gold, Silver and Bronze) by the dutch in at least one event. [NO - 10]

^ I was really, really confident about this one too xD

Congratulations to the winners and a big thanks for organizing the contest :cheer:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6th place, not bad :champion: Just missing the podium for very little, that's frustrating very much like the french team at Pyeongchang actually :d I had a couple of big 7 or 8 points misses (like Switzerland overtaking Austria )

I had abyssimal results in the other contests (often beaten by @bestmen :roflmao:), so there is that.

Thanks to anyone involved, I really appreciated this contest :)

8 hours ago, LDOG said:

With this, I now go back to prediction management retirement. I won't be organizing the next editions of Bet Contest (unless no one else is willing to do it), so thank you all for everything, from the Bet Contest Organization Committee (LDOG & Quasit) :)

Thanks for your work in this years :hatoff:

9th place is bittersweet. I felt like I missed a lot of points, so finishing that high with couple of big misses is unfortunate.

Also, I thought there were negative points, so not wanting to take a full risk I used only some 240-245 pts. :p

#banbestmen

Congrats to all the medallists.

I am very sad about this result, i think this was the most important contest and i had the perfect strategy, i just picked the wrong questions to bet 10 points on.

I was sure about the following bet, but ironically Germany messed it up for me:

1- On Day 1, the first 5 Gold Medals will be awarded to athletes from 5 different countries. [YES - 10]

The following bet was just stupid, dont know why i was so sure that the US would be better than Canada, probably because i thought that Shiffrin would win 3 golds:

5- Canada will finish ahead of the USA in the medal table. [NO - 10]

Same as for question number 5, Switzerland had some surprising gold medallists and Austria was rather disappointing in some events (alpine skiing team event, mens slalom, snowboard slopestyle, freestyle skiing):

10- Austria will finish ahead of Switzerland in the medal table. [YES - 10]

I was rather sure that Canada would win mens and womens curling gold, maybe some expert could tell me whether it was a stupid bet or not?

33- Canada will defend its Gold Medals in both the Men's and Women's events. [YES - 10]

Another bet that Germany messed up for me, although i still feel good about taking this risk, given the results of this season:

52- Germany will sweep (win Gold, Silver and Bronze) at least one of the individual events. [NO - 10] 

I thought about giving 10 points to the following questions, sadly i didnt ...

8- Excluding DNFs, at least one irish athlete will finish ahead of a briton. [YES - 1]

20- The podium of at least one event will feature only countries associated with the Alpine Region (Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Slovenia and/or Switzerland). [YES - 1]

37- Spain will win its first ever medal in Figure Skating. [YES - 1]

44- A team from Group B will defeat a team from Group A in the Quarterfinals of the Women's Tournament. [NO - 1]

57- The podium in the Women's Normal Hill will feature at least 2 of the following athletes: Katharina Althaus (GER), Sara Takanashi (JPN), Maren Lundby (NOR). [YES - 1]

58- In all individual events, at least 3 participants will be relegated or disqualified in the A-Finals. [YES - 1]

61- Czech Republic will win at least one Gold Medal. [YES - 1]

69- Four continents will win a medal. [NO - 1]

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

at least this one saved my day (and pride)...:lol:

because in the other "classic" prediction contest I have to admit I feel ashamed of how much I did suck...:facepalm:

in any case, thanks to all the guys who spent their time to let us have fun with all these contests...