website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Bet Contest Discussion Thread

LDOG

vor 4 Stunden schrieb LDOG:

Ok, let's see...

About 2): As I stated in the first post of the relevant discussion thread, the users do suggestions, but the selection committee reserves the right to reformulate them or give them another interpretation. Regardless of that, what you're saying in this case is not true. Here is the post where you made suggestions and you wrote "individual medals":

About 3): Why does that matter? the predictions (and subsequently, the results) are set in stone since the deadline of February 9th, it's not like any participant can go now and edit their predictions according to what you say here. In fact, anyone that does that would be DSQ. This is a "one phase" contest.

About 1): We are not perfect, far from it, and that's why we make mistakes. Sometimes some ambiguities or lack of clarity in the bets flies under my radar. In this case, somehow, we made a mistake and deleted the word "individual" from your original suggestion. I don't know how that happened and I apologize deeply for that.

Since the last contest I established a policy that in the case any user presents to me a problem with the meaning of a particular bet in the discussion thread AFTER the contest has already opened and AFTER several users have already posted predictions, I would then clarify the meaning of that bet in the discussion thread. No one objected to this policy neither 2 years ago nor now, therefore, I understood that the participants gave tacit agreement to it. I'm just asking users to read the specific discussion thread created for this contest (that is apart from the regular prediction discussion thread), I don't think that's asking too much honestly.

In the case of this particular bet, one user asked about the relays' problem (this was BEFORE the deadline) and I answered that according to our interpretation it doesn't take into account relays. The reason: we simply thought including the relays made the bet easier than what we wanted it to be.

Later (AFTER the deadline), another user warned me of some ambiguity problems with bet number 58 and since it was after the deadline (so, users couldn't edit their posts anymore, unlike with bet 60) I decided to award the invested points for both YES and NO.

I just saw that i bet 1 point on NO for this particular question, i actually wanted to bet 10 points on it but forgot the 0, i also wanted to bet 1 instead of 10 points on Canada not finishing ahead of USA in the medal table, could we maybe change those predictions?

Edit:

About 3) So you could just randomly reveal predictions of some users? I think that is not ok at all, you are abusing your power.

About 1) Thanks for the bible quotes!

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 25 Minuten schrieb LDOG:

Participant help needed: does someone know how many under 18 gold medalists we have as of now? I'm only aware of Red Gerard and Zagitova.

Chloe Kim, Lee Yu-bin (shorttrack)

I think in curling and ice hockey gold medal match we wont have any under 18 athletes, not sure about cross-country and bob.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, phelps said:

3: Gerard & Kim (both USA, both Snowboard) + Zagitova (RUS, Figure Skating)

Thanks. From what I see there aren't any under 18s in the hockey or curling teams that can win a gold tomorrow and there aren't any U18s either in the current top 7 teams in bobsled 4s (haven't looked up the lower teams though). So, unless there are some U18s in the cross-country event, we are very close to a "no" answer :d

What is going on? Why was my previous comment deleted?

There was also a under 18 gold medallist in shorttrack (Lee Yu-bin), but whatever ...

In mens ice hockey and womens curling there wont be any under 18 year olds in the final.

hace 5 horas, OlympicsFan said:

What is going on? Why was my previous comment deleted?

There was also a under 18 gold medallist in shorttrack (Lee Yu-bin), but whatever ...

In mens ice hockey and womens curling there wont be any under 18 year olds in the final.

Thanks for that one (your post is in the previous page btw).

We have 4 then, but I just checked all the cross-country participants of the last event and there isn't a single one under the age of 18, so the answer will be a "no" :d

Edited by LDOG

vor 3 Minuten schrieb LDOG:

Thanks for that one.

We have 4 then, but it just checked all the cross-country participants of the last event and there isn't a single one under the age of 18, so the answer will be a "no" :d

Good to hear, i bet 10 points on it. It has to be said that this was a very good question, it could have easily been the other way round, if Burmansson or South Korea in mens team pursuit for example would have won the gold. When i bet 10 points, i absolutely didnt think about the korean girl in shorttrack relay or Redmond Gerard, so i guess i got lucky.