website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Bet Contest Discussion Thread

LDOG

vor 36 Minuten schrieb phelps:

naaa...I think you should put a bit more than just 3 questions about Ice Hockey in the contest...

if a sport has more followers in such a big way, it can't be ignored and put on the same level of the others...I mean, not that there should be 10 times Hockey questions more than the other sports, but even if there are some more it's still OK, imho...

p.s. however in the next hours I'm sure you'll get some more inputs also for the other disciplines...;)

That is one way to look at it ... the other would be:

If a sport with 10 events gets 8 questions, a sport with 5 events should get 4 questions, otherwise the contest isnt really "balanced", a third way to look at it would be:

All sports should get the same amount of questions, so that someone who is a biathlon expert doesnt have an advantage over someone who is a skeleton expert (if there even is someone like that, just an example).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Biathlon

At least two relays with a penalty loop will win medals.

Cross-country

Gary di Silvestri (DMA) will not finish the 15km race, putting Dominica's record of successfully finishing competitions at Winter Olympics to 0/3

Figure skating

North Korean pair will finish in front of South Korean pair.

Nordic combined

First placed athletes after ski jumping in both individual events will not win a medal.

Short track

At least one athlete who fell at any point of the race will win a medal.

#banbestmen

The number of total bets hasn't been set yet, but I can already tell you that more events will mean more bets for x sport. We'll see what to do with Ice Hockey later, it is only 2 events but I also get that it has a large following in the forum and that will be taken into account.

Edited by LDOG

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

That is one way to look at it ... the other would be:

If a sport with 10 events gets 8 questions, a sport with 5 events should get 4 questions, otherwise the contest isnt really "balanced", a third way to look at it would be:

All sports should get the same amount of questions, so that someone who is a biathlon expert doesnt have an advantage over someone who is a skeleton expert (if there even is someone like that, just an example).

sure...

and in fact I agree on the general principle you expressed (which, as @LDOG wrote, would be in place for the contest)...

but I also think that it shouldn't be ignored the fact that 1 or 2 sports have so much more following than the average (and in fact @LDOG confirmed that they would take also this thing into consideration)...

to me, that's perfect...they have my full support...

by the way, here another couple of questions...

Snowboarding (but the first one could be used also for Freestyle)

will Halfpipe and Slopestyle be won by the same snowboarder (freestyler)? (question including both men and women's competition)

in Snowboardcross, will both Qualification winners (m and w) fail to medal?

will we have a full podium with -18 years young medallists in any of the sports disciplines?

Nordic Combined

will all 3 Gold medals go to the same Country?

will we have a German clean sweep of the podium in 1 of the Individual events?

will someone ranked outside the top 25 after the Jumping phase get a medal at the end of the day in an Individual event?

will we have at least 5 teams finishing within 45 seconds behind the winners (and included the winners) in the Team Relay?

Curling

will Italy win 2 or more games?

will at least 2 different Nations get a medal in all 3 events of the program?

will we have at least 1 team (all 3 events included) winning all of their games, from first preliminary match to the final?

Overall

will the Germany+Netherlands duo win more Gold medals than the USA+Canada duo?

will we have at least 5 Gold Medal winners being less than 18 years young on that given day?

vor 3 Stunden schrieb phelps:

sure...

and in fact I agree on the general principle you expressed (which, as @LDOG wrote, would be in place for the contest)...

but I also think that it shouldn't be ignored the fact that 1 or 2 sports have so much more following than the average (and in fact @LDOG confirmed that they would take also this thing into consideration)...

to me, that's perfect...they have my full support...

by the way, here another couple of questions...

Snowboarding (but the first one could be used also for Freestyle)

will Halfpipe and Slopestyle be won by the same snowboarder (freestyler)? (question including both men and women's competition)

in Snowboardcross, will both Qualification winners (m and w) fail to medal?

will we have a full podium with -18 years young medallists in any of the sports disciplines?

Nordic Combined

will all 3 Gold medals go to the same Country?

will we have a German clean sweep of the podium in 1 of the Individual events?

will someone ranked outside the top 25 after the Jumping phase get a medal at the end of the day in an Individual event?

will we have at least 5 teams finishing within 45 seconds behind the winners (and included the winners) in the Team Relay?

Curling

will Italy win 2 or more games?

will at least 2 different Nations get a medal in all 3 events of the program?

will we have at least 1 team (all 3 events included) winning all of their games, from first preliminary match to the final?

Overall

will the Germany+Netherlands duo win more Gold medals than the USA+Canada duo?

will we have at least 5 Gold Medal winners being less than 18 years young on that given day?

Yes, we should be thankful to the people who organize it, i am sure they will make it a fun contest.

Snowboarding:

We could also say "Will 2 out of the following three events (halfpipe, slopestyle, big air) be won by the same athlete?"

I also had a similar question to your third one in mind, but i thought it wouldnt be considered appropriate. Something like "Will we have at least 2/3 minor/under 18 olympic champions in snowboard or freestyle skiing?"

Nordic combined:

A german sweep is very unlikely, maybe you could ask whether any country will sweep the medals in an individual event, although i still would consider the chance of that happening somewhere between 25 and 33%.

Overall:

I dont see any chance of Germany + the Netherlands winning more medals than Canada + USA, but maybe you could ask whether Germany + Norway will win more (gold) medals than USA + Canada or whether some combination of France/Switzerland/Austria/Italy will win more gold medals than South Korea + Japan.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

22 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Yes, we should be thankful to the people who organize it, i am sure they will make it a fun contest.

Snowboarding:

We could also say "Will 2 out of the following three events (halfpipe, slopestyle, big air) be won by the same athlete?"

I also had a similar question to your third one in mind, but i thought it wouldnt be considered appropriate. Something like "Will we have at least 2/3 minor/under 18 olympic champions in snowboard or freestyle skiing?"

Nordic combined:

A german sweep is very unlikely, maybe you could ask whether any country will sweep the medals in an individual event, although i still would consider the chance of that happening somewhere between 25 and 33%.

Overall:

I dont see any chance of Germany + the Netherlands winning more medals than Canada + USA, but maybe you could ask whether Germany + Norway will win more (gold) medals than USA + Canada or whether some combination of France/Switzerland/Austria/Italy will win more gold medals than South Korea + Japan.

well, I don't think that questions about age are not appropriate (and for sure I don't see any sort of discrimination)...

so, why not?

for what concerns the Nordic Combined...if there's someone able to sweep one of those races that's Germany or Norway...so, I chose GER, but there's no difference if they come up with NOR in the final question (if they choose this question)...

and about the "combo" medals...that's just an example...;)

we can build the question with as many combinations as we want (however, I really think this is a well balanced matchup, since GER should win between 10 and 12 gold medals and NED could go as high as 8 or 9...and US and CAN more or less can both get around 10/11 Gold medals each, maybe USA something more and CAN something less...meanwhile the GER+NOR duo for me is a no brainer, as I think they will be the top 2 Nations in the final medal standings)...

p.s. FRA+SUI+AUT (with or without ITA doesn't make much difference) against KOR+JPN is also unbalanced imho...all those 3 European Nations will get at least 6/7 Gold Medals each (I think)...and there's no way that both KOR and JPN would go in double digit...

vor einer Stunde schrieb phelps:

well, I don't think that questions about age are not appropriate (and for sure I don't see any sort of discrimination)...

so, why not?

for what concerns the Nordic Combined...if there's someone able to sweep one of those races that's Germany or Norway...so, I chose GER, but there's no difference if they come up with NOR in the final question (if they choose this question)...

and about the "combo" medals...that's just an example...;)

we can build the question with as many combinations as we want (however, I really think this is a well balanced matchup, since GER should win between 10 and 12 gold medals and NED could go as high as 8 or 9...and US and CAN more or less can both get around 10/11 Gold medals each, maybe USA something more and CAN something less...meanwhile the GER+NOR duo for me is a no brainer, as I think they will be the top 2 Nations in the final medal standings)...

p.s. FRA+SUI+AUT (with or without ITA doesn't make much difference) against KOR+JPN is also unbalanced imho...all those 3 European Nations will get at least 6/7 Gold Medals each (I think)...and there's no way that both KOR and JPN would go in double digit...

I dont see the Netherlands winning that many golds, at best 6-7.

France + Italy should win 8-10 golds, South Korea should win at least 3 or 4 golds in short track (+ possibilities in skeleton or speed skating). Japan should win 6-8 golds, so i think this would be pretty balanced.

Special Unified Korea bets:

The Unified Korea women's hockey team will win a match

Athletes from both North and South Korea will score a goal for the Unified Team in the same match

A North Korean athlete will finish ahead of a South Korean athlete in any event - not including DNF