website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

1 hour ago, gvaisakh said:

Any other events this week??

seems to be a very slow week after the fairly hectic first week ...... I guess the next major event would be the women's world boxing championships in the 2-3 week of may ......

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

1 hour ago, gvaisakh said:

I will put that in Non Rio Events since our main recurve archers are not there

Meanwhile I will add Seoul Challenger too where Paes is playing to improve his rankings

Maybe they are trying to see if Rimil can be replaced by someone talented or at least have a 2nd choice.

1 minute ago, Sanjib said:

Maybe they are trying to see if Rimil can be replaced by someone talented or at least have a 2nd choice.

More likely they may be in intensive training for Rio so as to peak there and do not want any break.......  there is not much chance after the reason level of form shown by the womens recurve team that they may change any member ( but yes if injury or any thing happens good to have a back up 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Baku world cup update in Judo 

Avtar Singh ( 90- category )  faced a really tough opponent Clerget axel of france in round 1  and lost but  a reasonably close fight 0 vs 1-0-1 so not too bad ...clerget was the bronze medalist .......highest ranked indians Kalpana -52 kg ( 95th ) and Avtar -90kg  ( 81st ) ...likely Indian to be sent to the olympics would still be Avtar 

Edited by nitinsanker

3 hours ago, Sanjib said:

In Tennis, any chance of a singles player sneeking in too, or somehow can we have 2 men's doubles teams?

For singles, Yuki would need a large number of withdrawals and/or good performance at French Open to rise 50 odd places to qualify. Not sure about Wild cards. 

To be honest, I think Paes/Bopanna are on the edge of qualification themselves. Hopefully, Bopanna would improve his ranking and enter top 10 to win the quota directly. No chance for second pair in MD

3 hours ago, Sanjib said:

In Tennis, any chance of a singles player sneeking in too, or somehow can we have 2 men's doubles teams?

2 men's double team is almost impossible. However presently even our top ranked men double player Rohan is also out of direct entry criteria as his ATP ranking is 11. He have to do well in French Open. Paes ranking also is very down. To get two teams in rio, we need atleast either two players in top 10 of ATP ranking or their combine ATP ranking should be higher enough to get additional quota.    

10 minutes ago, Dolby said:

For singles, Yuki would need a large number of withdrawals and/or good performance at French Open to rise 50 odd places to qualify. Not sure about Wild cards. 

To be honest, I think Paes/Bopanna are on the edge of qualification themselves. Hopefully, Bopanna would improve his ranking and enter top 10 to win the quota directly. No chance for second pair in MD

no wild cards this time around........................ unfortunately for India as we seem to have had a good relationship with ATP  and have got wild cards many times 

this article gives full details 

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/no-tennis-wildcards-at-rio-what-this-means-for-indias-chances-at-the-olympics-2753986.html

Edited by nitinsanker

This is the start program for the shanghai diamond league ...... I checked it the only two Indians I found were sudha singh and lalita in the 3000 SC...... maybe I have missed someone or and someone may be added later 

http://shanghai.diamondleague.com/programme-results/programme-results-shanghai/

by the way what is the entry criteria for the diamond league ?

Edited by nitinsanker

23 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

More likely they may be in intensive training for Rio so as to peak there and do not want any break.......  there is not much chance after the reason level of form shown by the womens recurve team that they may change any member ( but yes if injury or any thing happens good to have a back up 

Don't think Rimil is a lock for Rio by any means...unless the federation simply decides that whoever won the quota will be the ones going, like they did in 2012 (the quota was won last year by Deepika, Rimil and Laxmirani)

In the Colombia world cup, 4 archers competed for India - Deepika, Bombayala, Laxmirani Majhi and Rimil. Rimil had the lowest qualification score out of the 4 and thus the other 3 competed in the team event and won Silver. So Rimil was not part of that silver-winning team...I think eventually it will be 3 of these 4 going to Rio but either Rimil or Bombayala can miss out (Deepika is obviously a lock and Majhi has been doing very well in the past year).