website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

57 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Next Field Hockey:

Both teams qualified for Olympics. :yes

Going into Olympics, my expectations (hopes) from Women's team was win the match against Japan. They drew that match. So, 50-50. There is no doubt that Hockey India should have handled the Ritu Rani situation better. We are still a long way from the top level but this Olympics should have given good exposure to the team. 

For the Men's team, I knew winning a medal was hard but heart was sure that we would break the drought. We played good hockey. Our fitness levels have improved a lot. We are no longer afraid against top teams and have victories against almost all the top teams in the last 2 years. But even with these many positives (may be because of them) this Olympics was one of heartbreak. The dying second draw against Germany was devastating. Full marks to the team for bouncing back with a win against Argentina. One does wonder what would have happened if we had managed to defeat Canada in the last league game and faced Spain in QF instead Belgium. 

We need to work on our defence. There are times when we simply fail to clear the ball and allow opposition insane amount of possession, especially if we are leading in the 4th quarter. Also, we need to reduce our dependence on PC for goals. 

Though Narinder Batra runs Hockey India like his personal fiefdom, he does take care of the players. Level of hockey in HIL is good and a large number of top foreign players also take part in it. It is a good learning experience for our youngsters. If Batra can control himself and not fire Oltmans for 4 years, I am hopeful, we can win a medal at Tokyo. 

I would also like to thank FIH and Leandro Negre for the way they have supported Indian hockey in the recent past. They worked with HI even when Indian government was giving affidavits in courts that it had no problem if there were no 2 different Hockey federations representing India. They allocated a large number of events to India. India would have struggled to qualify for so many events but took part in them due to being hosts. (FIH did that because of the revenue potential from India). Taking part in those tournaments helped us a lot. 

Good Job Sir, I really like your post :) Waiting for Shooting analysis

Shooting:

We did a good job in qualifying a large contingent. We had 6/6 in Men's Rifle, 5/6 in Men's Pistol and even managed to qualify 3 in Men's Shotgun. In Women's section, 2/4 in both Rifle and Pistol was not optimal but decent. Apart from the ones who qualified, there were atleast 3 to 4 more shooters who came close to qualifying. Among them, Elizabeth Susan Koshy was the most consistent and finished in top 20 in multiple World Cups in 50x3. So, apart from Women's Shotgun, rest was good. 

Since 1996, Shooting has provided us with the maximum medals in Olympics. This squad had past Olympic champion (Bindra), medallist (Narang), one of the most consistent shooter in the past 2 years (Jitu Rai). Almost everyone in the squad has qualified for finals at World Cup stage and a good number of them have won medal at WC level. Also, they have among the best training facilities (compared to other Indian sports). In the last 2 Olympics, our shooters did exceptionally well in finals. 2 medals and a 4th place finish in 3 finals in 2012, Gold in the only final in 2008. So, our expectations were even higher. 

But in Rio :wall: A good number of them were near top going into last series and then had a bad last series. It was very disappointing. Just 2 finals was not expected. 0 medals was shocking. It is hard to pin point what exactly went wrong. Law of averages? Nerves? Bad form? I honestly don't know.

Shooting is held at the beginning of the games. In the past, shooters winning medals has eased the pressure on others. This time, one wonders, what would have been the case had Jitu won a medal in 10m Air Pistol on first day. What if Bindra had won his shoot-off for Bronze. I think those near misses at the start demoralized the squad and rest felt tremendous pressure and wilted. 

We have a good structure in place. NRAI has appointed a team led by Bindra to study why we failed in Rio. (I am not a fan of this decision. Bindra was part of Rio squad and hence should not have been part of the team). There are a number of juniors who have shown good promise. Except Bindra (who has retired) and maybe Manavjit, Narang and Nanjappa (great respect for the way he came back from paralysis in 2013 to qualify for Olympics) others are still young and should be in reckoning for Tokyo as well. So, we have a good mix of experience and youth and should qualify in larger number for Tokyo. Also, hopefully, we will put this disastrous Olympics behind us and return to winning medals in Tokyo. 

Tennis:

Ever since, I have been following Tennis, it has been the same story. Paes and Bhupathi (now Bopanna) fighting. Forming team for Olympics and promising a medal. Failing to win one. The only thing that has changed is emergence of Sania Mirza. With her arrival, the legends found a new pawn to fight over, right to partner her in Mixed Doubles and try for a medal. In 2000, Paes/Bhupathi ran into Bryan brothers early on. In 2004, came 4th. In 2008, ran into an angry Federer in quarters. That was the last realistic chance for a medal in MD for two of the greatest Indian sportspersons of the last 20 years. They could never overcome their ego and hatred for each other and win Olympic medal. At their peak, they could have defeated two good Singles players as well, if they had good chemistry. But, alas their chemistry was gone in 2000 only. 

The way both of them (along with their fathers and Bopanna) conducted themselves in the run up to London Olympics was shameful. :sick: 

This time, I was disappointed that no one was able to qualify in MS. But, even there it is the same old story. Since the time of Ramanathan Krishnan, we have had promising youngsters. But no one (with the exception of Paes's Bronze in Atlanta) has come close to fulfilling their potential at the senior level. Just when we get hopeful about someone, he gets injured. And after injury, they just fade away. :(

In this Olympics, I always knew that our only realistic hope was in XD. Even in that, I was worried that we will lose to a team of good Singles players. 4th seeding did give me hope that we may sneak a medal. But, in the end, my fear came true. Murray was tired for his match and hence, we were able to defeat him. Even in SF, Venus was rusty at the start and we won the first set but once, Venus found her rhythm we lost the game. I didn't watch the Bronze medal match, so can't comment on that. 

Going forward, Sania looks strong in WD but unless there is another decent women player, no chance of even competing for medal there. In MD, Raja/Sharan are decent but I don't think they can win a medal as well. Especially against good Singles players. We again have a small group of promising youngsters but given past track record, I am sceptical about their progress. 

Now, Paes and Bopanna should retire. They can continue to play on ATP circuit but should not be considered for Davis Cup and Asian Games. I think AITA should have done this after London only. They are still better than the others but we need a clean slate if we want to have any chance. 

Hello to all Indian users!

I hope you have enjoyed the Olympic Games! I have been informed that a Whatsapp group has been created and I guess many live comments by Totallympics users have been posted there. In fact, I was epecting many more messages here in the India National Thread during the Olympic days.

Of course, I don't want to "ban" the Whatsapp group from the forum, neither to ask users to leave it, because I am not a dictator and anyway would be totally useless. I just hope that the Whatsapp group would not hurt the Totallympics Indian community in the future. I think that to discuss on a forum is different than some quick Whatsapp messages, so of course all of you could choose whatever you prefer.

I would like to challenge the reason why the Whatsapp group has been created, anyway. I have read somewhere that it has been created to avoid the "spam posts" with live comments during the competitions. I can assure you that comments during live competitions are not spam at all, very far from that, especially in the National Thread. It is actually one of the main reasons why Totallympics has been created. Therefore all Indian users will be able to choose whatever they prefer, Whatsapp group, India National Thread or both of them, but please don't feel like live comments about Indian athletes performances on Totallympics are spam. I would really be sad the Indian Totallympics community to be weakened because of a Whatsapp group, especially if the Whatsapp group is used for a reason which is not a problem for Totallympics.

Now that Rio is over there will be a physiological drop of interest, but I hope you will be able to keep the Indian community alive also in this after-Olympic period and confirm the India National Thread to be the most active also for the next Olympic Quadriennium.

Thanks,

Sindo

11 minutes ago, Sindo said:

Hello to all Indian users!

I hope you have enjoyed the Olympic Games! I have been informed that a Whatsapp group has been created and I guess many live comments by Totallympics users have been posted there. In fact, I was epecting many more messages here in the India National Thread during the Olympic days.

Of course, I don't want to "ban" the Whatsapp group from the forum, neither to ask users to leave it, because I am not a dictator and anyway would be totally useless. I just hope that the Whatsapp group would not hurt the Totallympics Indian community in the future. I think that to discuss on a forum is different than some quick Whatsapp messages, so of course all of you could choose whatever you prefer.

I would like to challenge the reason why the Whatsapp group has been created, anyway. I have read somewhere that it has been created to avoid the "spam posts" with live comments during the competitions. I can assure you that comments during live competitions are not spam at all, very far from that, especially in the National Thread. It is actually one of the main reasons why Totallympics has been created. Therefore all Indian users will be able to choose whatever they prefer, Whatsapp group, India National Thread or both of them, but please don't feel like live comments about Indian athletes performances on Totallympics are spam. I would really be sad the Indian Totallympics community to be weakened because of a Whatsapp group, especially if the Whatsapp group is used for a reason which is not a problem for Totallympics.

Now that Rio is over there will be a physiological drop of interest, but I hope you will be able to keep the Indian community alive also in this after-Olympic period and confirm the India National Thread to be the most active also for the next Olympic Quadriennium.

Thanks,

Sindo

Don't worry Sindo....We would always be here with latest update and chat with the immediate action to follow....

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

2 hours ago, Dolby said:

Tennis:

Ever since, I have been following Tennis, it has been the same story. Paes and Bhupathi (now Bopanna) fighting. Forming team for Olympics and promising a medal. Failing to win one. The only thing that has changed is emergence of Sania Mirza. With her arrival, the legends found a new pawn to fight over, right to partner her in Mixed Doubles and try for a medal. In 2000, Paes/Bhupathi ran into Bryan brothers early on. In 2004, came 4th. In 2008, ran into an angry Federer in quarters. That was the last realistic chance for a medal in MD for two of the greatest Indian sportspersons of the last 20 years. They could never overcome their ego and hatred for each other and win Olympic medal. At their peak, they could have defeated two good Singles players as well, if they had good chemistry. But, alas their chemistry was gone in 2000 only. 

The way both of them (along with their fathers and Bopanna) conducted themselves in the run up to London Olympics was shameful. :sick: 

This time, I was disappointed that no one was able to qualify in MS. But, even there it is the same old story. Since the time of Ramanathan Krishnan, we have had promising youngsters. But no one (with the exception of Paes's Bronze in Atlanta) has come close to fulfilling their potential at the senior level. Just when we get hopeful about someone, he gets injured. And after injury, they just fade away. :(

In this Olympics, I always knew that our only realistic hope was in XD. Even in that, I was worried that we will lose to a team of good Singles players. 4th seeding did give me hope that we may sneak a medal. But, in the end, my fear came true. Murray was tired for his match and hence, we were able to defeat him. Even in SF, Venus was rusty at the start and we won the first set but once, Venus found her rhythm we lost the game. I didn't watch the Bronze medal match, so can't comment on that. 

Going forward, Sania looks strong in WD but unless there is another decent women player, no chance of even competing for medal there. In MD, Raja/Sharan are decent but I don't think they can win a medal as well. Especially against good Singles players. We again have a small group of promising youngsters but given past track record, I am sceptical about their progress. 

Now, Paes and Bopanna should retire. They can continue to play on ATP circuit but should not be considered for Davis Cup and Asian Games. I think AITA should have done this after London only. They are still better than the others but we need a clean slate if we want to have any chance. 

Sir with your permission can I post it my facebook page .. all your analysis are too good.. Offcourse Copywight is you only :)

Sudha Singh, who participated in the 3000 meter steeplechase at the Rio Olympics has been hospitalized in Fortis Hospital in Bengaluru. Karnataka govt would oversee Sudha Singh's recovery process, and bear all treatment costs. CM has asked the president of Olympic Association and State govt's Parliamentary Secretary to visit the hospital at once and to take care of the athlete's health.

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

1 hour ago, Govind said:

Sir with your permission can I post it my facebook page .. all your analysis are too good.. Offcourse Copywight is you only :)

You can post it anywhere you want. Once, I am done with all sports, I plan to collate all of them on my blog, so if you want you can wait and share link to that or post individual posts. I have no problem with either. 

Hi Team,

Can you please tell me is portal where we can know about Promising Young athletics in each Sport for India .. let Neeraj Chopra in Athletics, or Nikhat Zareen for Boxing etc .. just want to track them till next Olympics..