website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

Didn't feel like posting anything due to too much negativity here but couldn't help. So, time for my rant. 

I don't understand this desire for sportspersons as administrators. Below is the list of some of the important federations of India:

1) Shooting: Raninder Singh, son of Capt. Amarinder Singh, ex-CM of Punjab. Did participate at national level in shooting. 

2) Archery: Vijay Kumar Malhotra, politician

3) Hockey: Narinder Batra, an egotistical industrialist who runs Hockey India as a dictator

4) Badminton: Akhilesh Das Gupta, politician

5) Athletics: Adil Sumariwalla, ex-Olympian

6) Swimming: Digambar Kamat, politician is President, but all power is with Nanavati, businessman

7) Tennis: Anil Khanna, don't know details but not an accomplished player

8) Wrestling: Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, politician

9) Weightlifting: Birendra Prasad Baishya, politician

*10) Cricket: Anurag Kumar, politician (almost all the state federations have politicians or businessmen as heads)

11) Boxing: No Federation

If politicians can manage cricket very well, why can't they manage other sports? Will Leander Paes or Mahesh Bhupathi be better than Anil Khanna in running AITA? Archery is headed by an old politician well past his prime, but still it is one of the better managed Federations. There are trials for each event. They declared a clear selection policy for Olympics and stuck to it. After London, they provided mental conditioning to team and ensured that team reached Rio well in advance to get acclimatised to conditions. On other hand we have Athletics, headed by an ex-Olympian, who selected a dope tainted coach for our relay team, didn't know that 400m runners had to be included in relay teams and wasted time trying to get a non-existent wild card for Neeraj Kumar. Which do you prefer? 

Way forward is not to summarily replace these administrators with ex-Olympians. We developed in Archery because of Tata Academy. We developed in Badminton due to efforts of Gopichand and Padukone academies. A large portion of our Boxing and Wrestling progress is due to a handful of coaches at Bhiwani. We need scores of such academies to develop all over India. We need 10-15 organisations like OGQ and JSW to nurture and take care of young talents. 

Also, as fans, we also need to step up. We need to support (and criticise within limits) our players throughout. We can't forget about them, once Olympics are over. For example, I remember that there was this awesome twitter campaign to support Indian Ice Hockey team. They were short on funds and hence, were not sure of competing in a Asian level tournament. People stepped in and ensured their participation. People even cheered for them during the first couple of games, which we lost. After that, people forget about them. We need to try and minimise this. Also, we need to set reasonable expectations. Over here, people are disappointed that Sathish finished 4th in his group. Guys, he still managed to get his PB. Lastly, please don't question their commitment. Olympians have given everything to reach that stage. All they ask in return is respect and support. Let us give them both. 

7 minutes ago, Govind said:

You know what Shoba De got 10 Booker Prize awards so far .. that why she is commenting on our Olympic Athletics.. If Idiots like that are there how we can win medals ..

:mumble: 

Shobha De is just cheap sleazy novel writer whose comments seriously doesnt count... Its like Sunny leone commenting about acting of amitabh bachchan when he gave a flop

3 hours ago, Dolby said:

Didn't feel like posting anything due to too much negativity here but couldn't help. So, time for my rant. 

I don't understand this desire for sportspersons as administrators. Below is the list of some of the important federations of India:

1) Shooting: Raninder Singh, son of Capt. Amarinder Singh, ex-CM of Punjab. Did participate at national level in shooting. 

2) Archery: Vijay Kumar Malhotra, politician

3) Hockey: Narinder Batra, an egotistical industrialist who runs Hockey India as a dictator

4) Badminton: Akhilesh Das Gupta, politician

5) Athletics: Adil Sumariwalla, ex-Olympian

6) Swimming: Digambar Kamat, politician is President, but all power is with Nanavati, businessman

7) Tennis: Anil Khanna, don't know details but not an accomplished player

8) Wrestling: Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, politician

9) Weightlifting: Birendra Prasad Baishya, politician

*10) Cricket: Anurag Kumar, politician (almost all the state federations have politicians or businessmen as heads)

11) Boxing: No Federation

If politicians can manage cricket very well, why can't they manage other sports? Will Leander Paes or Mahesh Bhupathi be better than Anil Khanna in running AITA? Archery is headed by an old politician well past his prime, but still it is one of the better managed Federations. There are trials for each event. They declared a clear selection policy for Olympics and stuck to it. After London, they provided mental conditioning to team and ensured that team reached Rio well in advance to get acclimatised to conditions. On other hand we have Athletics, headed by an ex-Olympian, who selected a dope tainted coach for our relay team, didn't know that 400m runners had to be included in relay teams and wasted time trying to get a non-existent wild card for Neeraj Kumar. Which do you prefer? 

Way forward is not to summarily replace these administrators with ex-Olympians. We developed in Archery because of Tata Academy. We developed in Badminton due to efforts of Gopichand and Padukone academies. A large portion of our Boxing and Wrestling progress is due to a handful of coaches at Bhiwani. We need scores of such academies to develop all over India. We need 10-15 organisations like OGQ and JSW to nurture and take care of young talents. 

Also, as fans, we also need to step up. We need to support (and criticise within limits) our players throughout. We can't forget about them, once Olympics are over. For example, I remember that there was this awesome twitter campaign to support Indian Ice Hockey team. They were short on funds and hence, were not sure of competing in a Asian level tournament. People stepped in and ensured their participation. People even cheered for them during the first couple of games, which we lost. After that, people forget about them. We need to try and minimise this. Also, we need to set reasonable expectations. Over here, people are disappointed that Sathish finished 4th in his group. Guys, he still managed to get his PB. Lastly, please don't question their commitment. Olympians have given everything to reach that stage. All they ask in return is respect and support. Let us give them both. 

@Dolby Regarding cheering of Ice hockey team, The event mentioned by you was held in Kuwait and made sure there were atleast 10 people from my company where taken to cheer for the team and would proudly say that 14 people over shadowed 100 Kuwaiti people during Kuwait vs India match. Even our coach was stunned to see us over power them. I have the puck has the souvenir of that tournament. 

Agree every bit mentioned above....I refrained from participating since I felt really bad with the comments....

To call a person traitor at bad times and patriotic at good times is such a shame on our fans...

this event reminds me of the Mir Ranjan Negi who was accused of throwing the match....such a pathetic way to treat our athletes.

Edited by Prashanth

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

7 minutes ago, Prashanth said:

@Dolby Regarding cheering of Ice hockey team, The event mentioned by you was held in Kuwait and made sure there were atleast 10 people from my company where taken to cheer for the team and would proudly say that 14 people over shadowed 100 Kuwaiti people during Kuwait vs India match. Even our coach was stunned to see us over power them.

with such bad. I have the puck has the souvenir of that tournament. 

Agree every bit mentioned above....I refrained from participating since I felt really bad with the comments....

To call a person traitor at bad times and patriotic at good times is such a shame on our fans...

this event reminds me of the Mir Ranjan Negi who was accused of throwing the match....

Yes, I remember you telling us about it. I meant all the people who went on a guilt trip about not supporting other sports. Trended Ice Hockey for couple days and then went back to not caring about Ice Hockey because we lost. 

Also, worth mentioning the kind of ridicule Sania Mirza and Somdev faced when they went out in initial rounds of GS. People don't appreciate the effort put in to qualify for GS. They want champions from day one . 

P.S. I think I have written a variant of this rant atleast 2-3 times before on the old forum. So, to all old timers kindly ignore if you find it repetitive. :)

2 minutes ago, Kiruphagaran said:

Good win the geogian is ranked 8th in the world.

Then Good .. :)  So tough match Really she is consistently hit 10 ..No body would sustain that .. Good show by Deepika