website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

It seems a silver medalist of 2008 weightlifting 48 kg category (W) from Turkey tested positive on stanozolol (If I am not wrong, is the same the infamous Ben Johnson took). Unfortunately, had it been for same category in 2004 Olympics, our Kunjarani Devi would have got her fourth place upgraded to Bronze.  It would have been a medal before the start.

18 hours ago, Joseph said:

This was way back in Feb 2016!But this is a welcome news for Indian Fencing!Fencing is taking a turn in India!Tokyo 2020 should be the goal!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/others/Successful-Indian-boys-return-from-Asian-fencing/articleshow/51138208.cms

Also currently Indian junior men cycling team is ranked number 1 in the sprint category. Junior women team are also within top 8. Deborah 6th in the world. 

2020 seems hopeful in this multi medal sport

1 minute ago, tirtha22 said:

Also currently Indian junior men cycling team is ranked number 1 in the sprint category. Junior women team are also within top 8. Deborah 6th in the world. 

2020 seems hopeful in this multi medal sport

We both wrote the same news at the same time....:d

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

Though Indian cycling is improving a lot, we need to take these rankings with a bucket of salt. We have zero participation in the ongoing Junior World Championships. These rankings probably don't mean much. Almost all of our points are from Asian level events and IIRC we didn't win a medal at this year's Asian Junior Championships. (Maybe Deborah won a medal but I don't remember)

Great news coming from Football side many of our young players are getting calls for trial in Europe hope in 3-5 years we can have a formidable side with lot of our players with top sides in the world...

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

16 hours ago, Prashanth said:

He didn't qualify for the finals....

First Result shows him on 2nd Place as Mohd Fares who stood first in the Semifinal got disqualified and as a result Santosh Kumar Tamilrasan qualifies for FINAL being on 2nd place. Later on result changed.

Edited by Harit Garg

2 hours ago, tirtha22 said:

:beer:

i remember reading in 2009 about a surprising improvement in Indian gymnastics by a group of talented Indians and when I went there to see the world rankings I was shocked at that time to see a young boy named Ashish kumar was ranked 35th in the world in the floor and an unknown name called Dipa karmakar was ranked 18th in the worldin vault  ............................ Patra was ranked 40th in the rings .................. and today they have made history winning medals in the Asian and commonwelath games and now reaching the olympics possibly the following names by the time Tokyo comes around would be making history for us in Cycling ............. also interesting gymnastics and cycling are sports we used to send sportsmen to olympics earlier

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi