website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

The real positive outcome of the Rio games seems to be the response of the authorities..

There seems to be a genuine level of thpugh being put into Indian sports..

Despite a few hiccups, federations are starting to end their disdainful attitude....government is talking about a long term plan unlike in rhe past whr we saw authorities talk abt olympic sports just 3 to 4 month before the games...

Boxing federation mess seems to be closing on ro a solution...

Ppl in power are talking abt improving accountability in the federations...

A few lesser medals on an edition of the games is'nt the end of the road if the people involved learn from it and do what is needed...

I believe we are heading in the right direction...

2 hours ago, Steve_RP said:

The real positive outcome of the Rio games seems to be the response of the authorities..

There seems to be a genuine level of thpugh being put into Indian sports..

Despite a few hiccups, federations are starting to end their disdainful attitude....government is talking about a long term plan unlike in rhe past whr we saw authorities talk abt olympic sports just 3 to 4 month before the games...

Boxing federation mess seems to be closing on ro a solution...

Ppl in power are talking abt improving accountability in the federations...

A few lesser medals on an edition of the games is'nt the end of the road if the people involved learn from it and do what is needed...

I believe we are heading in the right direction...

Good to see your optimism but the way I see it it is all talk and no substance. Failure never wakes up the authorities in India, its only success which makes them come running for their photo-ops and reflected glory...

Also, all olympic plans are always "long term". Modi declared forming a task force for next 3 olympics - what happens if he loses elections?? Do you think that task force will remain unaffected ??? Soon, authorities will start saying that 2020 is too close and we need to focus on 2024 - then after 2020, they'll either be out of power or start saying we need to focus on 2028 !!! Even NRAI's "post-mortem" seems aimed at increasing their own influence (no personal coaches, no individual separate foreign training) as opposed to actually making improvements...

Earlier, everyone used to say we need world class foreign coaches. So authorities got the cheapest, most dope-tainted coaches available and observers became happy as they had white skin. Now, with Sindhu, Sakshi and Dipa all having Indian coaches, the foreigners will be shown the door and we'll return to the old outdated Indian coaching manuals...

24 minutes ago, kapil857 said:

Good to see your optimism but the way I see it it is all talk and no substance. Failure never wakes up the authorities in India, its only success which makes them come running for their photo-ops and reflected glory...

Also, all olympic plans are always "long term". Modi declared forming a task force for next 3 olympics - what happens if he loses elections?? Do you think that task force will remain unaffected ??? Soon, authorities will start saying that 2020 is too close and we need to focus on 2024 - then after 2020, they'll either be out of power or start saying we need to focus on 2028 !!! Even NRAI's "post-mortem" seems aimed at increasing their own influence (no personal coaches, no individual separate foreign training) as opposed to actually making improvements...

Earlier, everyone used to say we need world class foreign coaches. So authorities got the cheapest, most dope-tainted coaches available and observers became happy as they had white skin. Now, with Sindhu, Sakshi and Dipa all having Indian coaches, the foreigners will be shown the door and we'll return to the old outdated Indian coaching manuals...

Majority of the "review" is just PR exercise. Just look at the composition of Bindra led committee formed by NRAI to look into what went wrong. Apart from Bindra, who will recuse himself from a lot of things as he has a clear conflict of interest as he was part of team, rest of the team is full of journalists. 

On 9/10/2016 at 00:35, Prashanth said:

2016 FIBA Asia Challenge

India 53rd ranked team defeat higher 27th ranked Philippines 91-83 in the 1st match and are now top ranked team and hope they go through the QF and more and make a mark in the sport which India deserves to go higher. They are few outstanding players in the team and are world standard and would find place in many top rated team.

Amjyot singh has been praised by FIBA for an superb play and considers him one among top players in Asia..

Good win over phillipines... but India lost to chinese taipei..... need to win 2 more matches to ensure a QF berth

20 hours ago, Prashanth said:

Can you guys share the Rio experience those who were there with events and other stuffs...Photo if possible so that all can relive the Rio events back again.

Does some one in this forum really went to RIO for games.... if so kindly share their experiences

I have a doubt whether mutli sports events like asian games, olympics should be watched by going there or watched on TV..... obviously TV allows you to watch multi events in a day and where as if you go there you can attend at the max 2 events per day but the atmosphere should have been electric

So the guys who went to RIO would be in better position to explain this...

@Prashanth @Madhusudhan will be writing a blog about my experience. Will share the link here when it's done. Regarding Madhusudhan's question, yep the atmosphere is electric. But on tv you have the option of following everything. So pros and cons in both. I would definitely advise that being over there is much more fun! :)

Moreover, now you can carry a smart device with you and stream whatever you want to follow, a lot of people were doing that. Let's Tokyo 2020! :d

Edited by Suneet

9 minutes ago, Suneet said:

@Prashanth @Madhusudhan will be writing a blog about my experience. Will share the link here when it's done. Regarding Madhusudhan's question, yep the atmosphere is electric. But on tv you have the option of following everything. So pros and cons in both. I would definitely advise that being over there is much more fun! :)

Moreover, now you can carry a smart device with you and stream whatever you want to follow, a lot of people were doing that. Let's Tokyo 2020! :d

Will be eagerly waiting for your blog.... I hope you share all your experiences w.r.t. games i.e. atmosphere, tickets, accommodation, food etc

Btw thanks for replying on my doubt... I had been to commonweatlh games in Delhi... i missed crucial india vs pak hockey match because i did not got ticket for that match and booked ticket for athetics during same slot... as you rightly said with so much of live streaming now a days it should not be a problem