website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

5 hours ago, Dolby said:

I have completed my analysis. Feedback is welcome. I have also collated all the posts here

Feedback.. .. Just one word .. Simply Awesome.. Just let me know are you a Sports Journalist :d...Because I have referred so many news website nothing is so elaborate like this about Olympics. Thanks a lot

Edited by Govind

Tennis

With Yuki Bhambri and Somdev Devvarman still recovering from their respective injuries, India is set to field same set to players in the upcoming Davis Cup World Group Play-off against Spain, that beat South Korea 4-1 in July.

Awesome analysis Dolby... somewhere in case of Narsingh, i feel officials didnt want russian federation to be upset with narsingh inclusion, also they wanted to prove a point that no one will be given a chance in case of doping...

1 hour ago, shrikant said:

Awesome analysis Dolby... somewhere in case of Narsingh, i feel officials didnt want russian federation to be upset with narsingh inclusion, also they wanted to prove a point that no one will be given a chance in case of doping...

Russia has nothing to do with Narsingh's exclusion. Even if Russia would have participated in Rio fully, Narsingh would have been banned by WADA/CAS. The rules are clear. You fail a dope test, you must serve a ban. 

On 8/26/2016 at 12:22, Dolby said:

Sorry for the delay. Continuing my assessment, Weightlifting:

I expected 1 lifter in each gender to qualify for Olympics. We did that. We came back strong in 2015 WC after a bad 2014 WC. We even came close to qualifying a second female lifter. (If Russia/Kazakhstan/Belarus were removed from WC rankings, there is a very good chance that we would have qualified 2 female lifters). 

Team selection was pretty straightforward. At present, Mirabai Chanu is our best lifter by a margin. She is capable of winning medal in Olympics/WC. She was a long shot for medal here as well. It was sad seeing her failing to register a lift in C&J. I feel that in Weightlifting, one should always try and get a valid lift, because even if you finish 4th or 5th now, there is a chance that in future you might get a medal. But, I understand that being too conservative is a difficult decision. When you are close to medal, you don't want to finish just outside medals and wonder what if I had started at a higher weight. She is still young and has the legend Kunjurani Devi as her coach, so she should get stronger from this experience. 

Rest of the team is also progressing nicely. I am confident that we will have multiple female lifters in Tokyo. 

Satish Sivalingam just edged Vikash Thakur to become our sole male lifter in Rio. He broke his PB in Olympics, which is always a good sign. :yes

In Men's section, we still have to cover a lot of ground. We need a good team of 4-6 lifters to have any chance of qualifying multiple lifters. There are a number of youngsters who are good and have won medals at Junior and Youth World Championships. With proper training, hopefully they will transition to seniors nicely and we would be in hunt for multiple quotas at Tokyo. 

Also, a note on those who are talking about how Mirabai would have won medal if she managed to lift equal to what she was lifting in training. In competition, there is tighter body control, so everybody lifts lesser weight compared to training. Also, more pressure in actual competition. 

Excellent analysis on all sports... Mirabai chanu lifted 192kgs during selection trials which is silver medal position at Rio, doesn't they have to maintain weight control during trials... what ever it be she managed only one lift out of 6 possible lifts which is really disappointing.... 4 kgs below her personal best would have fetched her bronze, i think pressure got to her... only good thing is she has still age on her side