ATP Challenger Tour

Ningbo :- Ramkumar, Prajnesh, Sumit, Saketh play in Rd1

Sriram/Saketh, Prajnesh/Arjun , Sumit/Ramkumar play in Rd1

Wolffkran:- Purav/Antonio play in Rd1

ITF Tennis

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

19 hours ago, kapil857 said:

This is the standard Indian political refrain since 2008. Our juniors are really good, and we have put/are putting some great systems in place, and hence we'll make it big...not by next Olympics but by the Olympics after that.

After Beijing, it was that we'll make it big in Rio, after London it was that Rio is too close, we'll make it big in Tokyo, after Rio now Tokyo is too close, we'll make it big in Paris.

Waiting to see when it happens...

Well look at facts ......Currently and I counted just as of now we have world junior championship medals in the following sports ( in olympic categories removing non olympic ) 

Shooting - 9 - 2018 ( removing non olympic and team medals ) 

Wrestling - 5 ( I Have reduced our 7 medals to 5 proportionately ) - 2018

Boxing - 4 ( Again I have reduced proportionately 8 to 4 ) - 2018

Athletics - 1 ( Hima of course ) -2018

Badminton - 0 last year -  will happen in November but I am putting 1 

Archery - 2 -2017

weightlifting - 1 - world junior 2018

hockey 1 - junior world cup 2016 

cycling -1 - junior world championships 

total Junior world championship medals for India at this point in time 24 

I have been following olympic sports in  India for the last 20 years ........ can you point out a single point in time where we have so many junior world championship medals 

we even have good tt , gymnastics and  judo  players ........barring tennis where there does not seem any real good young talent 

take 8 years back period of time 2012-2014 ...... check out the records of junior world championships ( !!!! ) 

you would find we were approx 

1-2 shooting 

2-3  Boxing 

1-2 Wrestling 

0 atheletics 

1 badminton 

archery 1 

weightlifting 0 

hockey 0 

total junior medals in the period 6-7 years  ago - 6-7 

and lo and behold we are likely 5-6 medals at the olympics 

There has been a huge improvement at the junior levels ( no political statements but raw facts ...you could correct the numbers if I am wrong

I believe in statistics if we have 20-24 medals today 5-6 years from today we will have at least 12-15 medals at the senior olympics 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

2 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Well look at facts ......Currently and I counted just as of now we have world junior championship medals in the following sports ( in olympic categories removing non olympic ) 

Shooting - 9 - 2018 ( removing non olympic and team medals ) 

Wrestling - 5 ( I Have reduced our 7 medals to 5 proportionately ) - 2018

Boxing - 4 ( Again I have reduced proportionately 8 to 4 ) - 2018

Athletics - 1 ( Hima of course ) -2018

Badminton - 0 last year -  will happen in November but I am putting 1 

Archery - 2 -2017

weightlifting - 1 - world junior 2018

hockey 1 - junior world cup 2016 

cycling -1 - junior world championships 

total Junior world championship medals for India at this point in time 24 

I have been following olympic sports in  India for the last 20 years ........ can you point out a single point in time where we have so many junior world championship medals 

we even have good tt , gymnastics and  judo  players ........barring tennis where there does not seem any real good young talent 

take 8 years back period of time 2012-2014 ...... check out the records of junior world championships ( !!!! ) 

you would find we were approx 

1-2 shooting 

2-3  Boxing 

1-2 Wrestling 

0 atheletics 

1 badminton 

archery 1 

weightlifting 0 

hockey 0 

total junior medals in the period 6-7 years  ago - 6-7 

and lo and behold we are likely 5-6 medals at the olympics 

There has been a huge improvement at the junior levels ( no political statements but raw facts ...you could correct the numbers if I am wrong

I believe in statistics if we have 20-24 medals today 5-6 years from today we will have at least 12-15 medals at the senior olympics 

Hope you are right but I'll believe the hype when I see performance at the senior level. Just looking at the numbers provided by you, it seems to me that the only real gain has been shooting.

And shooting is a gain no doubt - as a country we have definitely improved from where we were in 2014. But I at least am hoping to see those gains in 2020 itself as opposed to 2024. 

Still - I personally dont believe in the methodology of counting junior medals at all. Fact is, in today's sporting landscape, youngsters across the world are maturing faster. The best juniors are already competing in the seniors and most of them stop competing in juniors once they graduate to seniors (like our own Sania had done when she was 16). Indian juniors however keep competing in junior events even after having already made a significant mark at the senior level (like Manu, Mehuli, Saurabh etc) as even those wins are starting to make them stars.

Then of course there is always the huge issue of age-fudging. Also, by nature, junior athletes are essentially competing against a field of athletes born in a 2-yr period which is small competition as compared to seniors. 

Also, if some sort of analysis is done, I would venture a guess that it would be found that 18-yr olds winning an U18 world title rarely make it to the absolute elite level in seniors (because the title is often won with the best 18-yr olds absent and already competing in the seniors). However, a 15-16 yr old winning an U18 title wud have a much better chance.

Indians in Action Today

ATP 250 Tour

European Open:- Paes/Miguel, Divj/Artem play in Rd1

Stockholm Open:- Jeevan/Ariel play in Rd1

ATP Challenger Tour

Ningbo :- Ramkumar looses in Rd1

Prajnesh moves into Rd1

Sumit, Saketh play in Rd1

Sriram/Saketh, Prajnesh/Arjun , Sumit/Ramkumar play in Rd1

Wolffkran:- Purav/Antonio play in Rd1

BWF Denmark Open 2018

ITF Tennis