T10 S Sharma

T27 G Bhullar

BWF Dutch Open

Men's:- Sourabh plays in Finals

Edited by Prashanth

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

20 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

well these atheletes are at the junior level and let us encourage them when they are at this level  , when they reach the senior level they will score medals at that level ..... If you expect 16 year olds to get medals immediately at the senior olympics it may not be possible ...... the average age of an olympic medal in shooting is 28 years ... they will need time to transition and why cannot we  take great pleasure in the significant accomplishment they are doing at this level ...................... I am thrilled with their accomplishment at this level 

So worried about Tokyo 2020

Edited by sanjaydas

The major sports where we can win medals in Tokyo 2020 are:
1) Shooting: 3-4

2) Boxing: 2-3
3) Wrestling: 1-2
4) Hockey: 1

5) Badminton: 1-2

This is the minimum target.

Is Compound Archery in the Olympics? If yes, then we may win.

13 minutes ago, sanjaydas said:

No compound archery....

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

13 minutes ago, sanjaydas said:

increased participation in swimming, athletics is heartening to know.

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

2 hours ago, sanjaydas said:

to be honest you have to look at current world championship medals we have won  to determine  the true likely hood of medals . there is thread in totally olympics 

currently we just have 3 world championship medals ( 1  - shooting, 1- weightlifting , 1- badminton, ) add I think 1 medal in wrestling which we would get in november possibly , you could make it 4 ........ possibly I feel sourabh missed the senior  WC medal because he was in the junior team so I would add one extra medal in shooting but that is it ......... we could be 5 medals .......anything extra would be lucky and completely dependent on form ....... 

But the current group of atheletes in the youth would be hitting the senior level ( possibly barring manu and sourabh ) only by 2024 ........

By 2024 we could be seeing 5-6 medals in shooting , possibly 3-4 medals in wrestling and 2-3 in womens boxing 1-2 in badminton based on the current juniors ....... jeremy may be a potent force in weightlifting and possibly 1-2 even in atheletics and 1-2 from other sports like tt, archery,tennis  ................. so i think we would be seeing 12-18  medals then....... but you will have to be more patient 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

3 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

to be honest you have to look at current world championship medals we have won  to determine  the true likely hood of medals . there is thread in totally olympics 

currently we just have 3 world championship medals ( 1  - shooting, 1- weightlifting , 1- badminton, ) add I think 1 medal in wrestling which we would get in november possibly , you could make it 4 ........ possibly I feel sourabh missed the senior  WC medal because he was in the junior team so I would add one extra medal in shooting but that is it ......... we could be 5 medals .......anything extra would be lucky and completely dependent on form ....... 

We have 1 boxing too, So, we would be at 6 if we go by your estimate 1 more in wresling and shooting. I think getting back to 6 medal level achieved at London is a fair target for Tokyo olympics. Anything more would be a bonus. 

Edited by sameerph

7 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

But the current group of atheletes in the youth would be hitting the senior level ( possibly barring manu and sourabh ) only by 2024 ........

By 2024 we could be seeing 5-6 medals in shooting , possibly 3-4 medals in wrestling and 2-3 in womens boxing 1-2 in badminton based on the current juniors ....... jeremy may be a potent force in weightlifting and possibly 1-2 even in atheletics and 1-2 from other sports like tt, archery,tennis  ................. so i think we would be seeing 12-18  medals then....... but you will have to be more patient 

This is the standard Indian political refrain since 2008. Our juniors are really good, and we have put/are putting some great systems in place, and hence we'll make it big...not by next Olympics but by the Olympics after that.

After Beijing, it was that we'll make it big in Rio, after London it was that Rio is too close, we'll make it big in Tokyo, after Rio now Tokyo is too close, we'll make it big in Paris.

Waiting to see when it happens...