website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

Overall outstanding performance by India .....we beat the best ever Asian games tally by 4 medals ( 65 to 69 ) ,( incidentally I had predicted close to 75 but the boxers let us down on total but still close ) equalled the best gold medal tally set in 1951, we had a outstanding commonwealth . But now its time to look at olympics , 2 years away and things will  change but still time to reflect on possibilities 

Highlights and positives from this season 

Shooting - this was an awesome performance by an extremely young and talented team ...........  They almost did better than super power China ( worlds super- eminent shooting nations ) in medal total .....The team is also extremely young in most part so in two years may knock of the rough edges and maybe do close to  China in overall medals shooting     ( China  normally win 7-8 medals in shooting in Olympics ) ....I think with focus and attention this side can win dare I say it at least 3-5 medals at olympics with attention , some mental conditioning .... I seriously find it shocking when people say India did not do well in shooting in Asian Games

Wrestling - Vinesh was really brilliant ...she demolished the field in what was possibly the toughest category in the asians games - Womens 48 . If the olympics she would be a shooin for medal at least ........ Bajrang was world class also but not in the same league according to me, Unfortunately none of the others were world class, sakshi was close to silver incidentally but no one was truely world class  ........ so I would rate this 1-2 possibility for the olympics 

Boxing - Well Amit Phangal defeated world no 1 again in a brutal weight category so he has  the credentials now , vikas is exasperating but maybe he will focus and could be a medal hope , he lost here more due to an injury ...................  Incidentally we have a whole flush of young women world champions ( 2 gold , 3 silver )  so definately will hope for at least one of them to be world class by the 2020 ..... so medals possibly 0-2 

Badminton - 2 singles medals both in woman - almost surely 1 medal at the olympics , if the mercurial srikanth shows consistency it could be 1-2 

Weightlifting - Mirakhom with a world championship gold and a one 196 weight in the lowest weight category is  a medal contendor so maybe 0-1

Atheletics - Neeraj currently world class , Hima can improve to a world class level , maybe an Indian atheletics medal 0-1 

Recurve archery and hockey have promised much but have underwhelmed , India did wonderfully in tt but too early to say , aging tennis stars in doubles so nothing there 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

1 hour ago, nitinsanker said:

Overall outstanding performance by India .....we beat the best ever Asian games tally by 4 medals ( 65 to 69 ) ,( incidentally I had predicted close to 75 but the boxers let us down on total but still close ) equalled the best gold medal tally set in 1951, we had a outstanding commonwealth . But now its time to look at olympics , 2 years away and things will  change but still time to reflect on possibilities 

Highlights and positives from this season 

Shooting - this was an awesome performance by an extremely young and talented team ...........  They almost did better than super power China ( worlds super- eminent shooting nations ) in medal total .....The team is also extremely young in most part so in two years may knock of the rough edges and maybe do close to  China in overall medals shooting     ( China  normally win 7-8 medals in shooting in Olympics ) ....I think with focus and attention this side can win dare I say it at least 3-5 medals at olympics with attention , some mental conditioning .... I seriously find it shocking when people say India did not do well in shooting in Asian Games

Wrestling - Vinesh was really brilliant ...she demolished the field in what was possibly the toughest category in the asians games - Womens 48 . If the olympics she would be a shooin for medal at least ........ Bajrang was world class also but not in the same league according to me, Unfortunately none of the others were world class, sakshi was close to silver incidentally but no one was truely world class  ........ so I would rate this 1-2 possibility for the olympics 

Boxing - Well Amit Phangal defeated world no 1 again in a brutal weight category so he has  the credentials now , vikas is exasperating but maybe he will focus and could be a medal hope , he lost here more due to an injury ...................  Incidentally we have a whole flush of young women world champions ( 2 gold , 3 silver )  so definately will hope for at least one of them to be world class by the 2020 ..... so medals possibly 0-2 

Badminton - 2 singles medals both in woman - almost surely 1 medal at the olympics , if the mercurial srikanth shows consistency it could be 1-2 

Weightlifting - Mirakhom with a world championship gold and a one 196 weight in the lowest weight category is  a medal contendor so maybe 0-1

Atheletics - Neeraj currently world class , Hima can improve to a world class level , maybe an Indian atheletics medal 0-1 

Recurve archery and hockey have promised much but have underwhelmed , India did wonderfully in tt but too early to say , aging tennis stars in doubles so nothing there 

Edited by sanjaydas

Just now, sanjaydas said:

.The issue with Shooting is that Manu Bhaker and Ashish Bhanwala did not win anything. Manu Bhaker had a Games Record for qualification. Let's wait for the World Championships to find the number qualifying. This is the tournament where you get to see the genuine medal contenders at the Olympics.

Similarly, in Boxing World Championships medallists like Shiva Thapa, Sonia Lather lost. So did Manoj Kumar. We have a lot to go in Boxing to win medals

Similarly in wrestling, we have two Gold medals which is fine. They are world class. But players like Sakshi Malik, Sushil Kumar lost.So did Mausam Khatri and Pooja Dhanda. The Greco-Roman part never yielded much. 

In all, India did not fare well in the Olympic sports except Badminton and Table Tennis. India will not be competing for medals in TT at the Olympics. badminton has a realistic chance. For hockey and archery, let's discuss after they qualify.

2 hours ago, sanjaydas said:

we win like 2 medals in every one of them........ let us see how we do I predict that this side is the best I have ever seen and we will be getting at least 3 minimum and maximum  7 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

8 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

we win like 2 medals in every one of them........ let us see how we do I predict that this side is the best I have ever seen and we will be getting at least 3 minimum and maximum  7 

First even gone in the qualification. Not in the finals. Lets see how many qualify to the Olympics then we can estimate the number off medals.