website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

27 minutes ago, tirtha22 said:

The Indian wrestling authorities would conduct a bout between them and the winner will most probably represent India at the Rio in that weight category. I think a heavyweight name like Sushil always adds an extra advantage ( not that applicable  about wrestling but if it would have been boxing , Sushil should have been the choice for sure ).

Yes I think it will be the best option.  

Wrestling Women 48 kg freestyle qualifications

Vinesh of India won against Pulkovska N. of Ukraine  10 - 0 with superiority. The match had been stopped by the referee at the end of 3: 55 minutes:IND

Dont demoralize about Badminton, remember "form is temporary where as class is permanent". Saina Nehwal, P V Sindhu & Shrikant Kidambi all are class players, they have shown that on their day they can beat any player including Chinese. So who knows we may see all Indian final In women singles segment. 

2 hours ago, Partha_SG said:

I think thats being overly optimistic - realistic medal chances are - 3 in shooting (could be more), 1 in archery, 1 in wrestling. Bandminton , tennis -outside chance. Boxing no chance really. It is sad that our govt couldnt give the push to the momentum we got in 2012. this time we should have been looking at sure shot 10 medals and hoping for many more. Instead we are scrambling to reach even six. The farce in boxing never seems to get over. Apart from shooting and perhaps archery- I see no federation who is not quarreling and messing up.

I think you gotta add Narsingh/Sushil as a realistic medal contender in addition to Yogi. Afterall, Narsingh won bronze at the world championships, which also doubled as the first Oly qualifier, and was very close to winning his SF as well. So he just has to repeat that performance. And if Sushil beats Narsingh and goes, then he too can do what Narsingh did.

I feel like we may not have as many qualifiers in wrestling as we wanted but we have got our medal contenders through. Last time also, we had 5 qualifiers and 2 medals - won't be surprised if it repeats.

And I haven't given up on Amit yet. He lost a bit controversially to Russia at the world champs and then injured himself just before the selection trials, thus not participating in the Oly qualifiers. But am sure Rahul vs Amit vs Sandeep will be on the undercard of Sushil vs Narsingh.

And yes, boxing has been very disappointing but Shiva did win bronze at the world champs and is a definite medal contender. And, personally, I haven't given up on Mary yet but yeah, its going to be very very tough for her to qualify.