Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Wanderer

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

VolleyRuller96    166

Jo Cox, the politician of the British Labour party has reportedly been shot three times and stabbed on the street by a man  who as witnesses claim shouted "Britain First" (thats a name of a british xenophobic political party, kinda like Germany's Pegida or France's National Front). The man then walked cooly away (but as Polish media report has already been caught)
Let's hope she is strong and will survive... :(

OlympicIRL    1,014
On 15/6/2016 at 22:17, Gianlu33 said:

I read a lot of news about Brexit but all media was confused :lol: 

What is the real situation in GB? @Quasit maybe you can help me? :mumble:

Britain will vote this day next week (Thursday, 23rd June) on a referendum on whether to "Leave" or "Remain" in the EU.

It's a very complex situation and the country and indeed the governing Conservative party is split over the issue. Since the date was set for the referendum, polls regularly showed the "Remain" side with a comfortable lead. The "Leave" side has gathered momentum, slowly chipping away at the lead and in the most recent 2 weeks, polls are indicating a sizeable swing in favour of "Brexit"... i.e. in favour of Britain leaving the E.U.

The Conservative party are in chaos, ministers attacking ministers, leading members undermining the Prime Minister and rubbishing claims and so called "scare-mongering" from the Chancellor of the Exchequer (finance minister). Boris Johnson who is leading the "Leave" campaign is also widely considered as a candidate to replace David Cameron as the next Conservative leader and potential Prime Minister, so to see them go head to head and resort to mud-slinging in a very public way is quite astonishing to see play out.

The Labour party too is in chaos, with many of their traditional supporters indicating they intend to vote to "Leave" the EU, which would be a devastating blow for the Labour parliamentary party and indeed the "Remain" side who are fundamentally relying on those Labour supporters to get them across the line.

The British population is deeply divided on the issue also with a comfortable majority of under-35s in favour of "Remain" and on the other hand, a huge majority of the older population are in favour of a "Brexit". Crucuially, the older population are more likely to get out and use their vote than the younger population and that could prove to be a decisive factor.

There are also contrasting opinions from the different countries in the UK, with a comfortable majority in Scotland in favour of "Remain" while recent polls have shown a much closer situation in the other countries (England, Wales and Northern Ireland), and in fact some polls have shown those populations in favour of "Leave".

This also gives rise to another potentially intriguing scenario whereby the Scottish Nationalist Party, which holds power in the Scottish Parliament and a huge presence in Westminster, threatening to call another independence referendum if Scotland votes to "Remain" but is dragged out of the EU by an overall "Leave" vote in the other 3 regions. The nationalists are very confident about winning any potential independence referendum this time also.

So the prospect of the break-up of the United Kingdom is also looming large in the backdrop of this referendum.

At the moment, the polls are indicating that the referendum will be too close to call.... "Brexit" is beginning to forge a lead and gain momentum but some would say that they need to be a bit further ahead in order to secure victory....the consensus is that as the referendum day gets closer, those undecided or even just a little bit swayed by the "Leave" option would revert back to voting for the status quo, usually out of fear of the unknown.... choosing to stick instead of change. But it is striking so far that the so called "Project Fear" adopted by Cameron and the "Remain" side is not cutting through with voters this time and there is a more stubborn attitude among the electorate this time that they won't be won over by fear from either side of the argument. Immigration concerns are proving to be the main talking point and of course that overwhelmingly benefits the "Leave" side of the argument as it's a strong point for them..... the economy which is the strong point for the "Remain" side is not gathering the same tract as immigration, with many voters indicating they will still vote to leave even if it means they will be worse off economically in the short-term.

The "Brexit" side are arguing that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to win back democracy for the UK and that argument is winning over voters.

It's going to be one heck of a week ahead!!

Edited by OlympicIRL

Federer91    243

From what i have seen on CNN, immigration is maybe the big reason they want out, as the country is being flooded for years and the big migrant crises these last years tipped the pot for the regular british people. EU should thank Merkel if they leave.

Federer91    243

Well after this tragedy i think it is certain that UK will stay in the EU. No way they vote leave now.

Gianlu33    920

Election is running in Italy.. Actualt we'll lose Roma 2024 dream :cry: 

De_Gambassi    272
Il y a 11 heures , Gianlu33 a déclaré:

Election is running in Italy.. Actualt we'll lose Roma 2024 dream :cry: 

From what I'm reading (in french) it doesn't seem that clear. Her probable future sport's assessore (Lo Cicero) being a great Roma 2024 partisan to start with.

Nickyc707    7

Huge day for us in the UK and I guess Europe in general as we vote in the EU referendum. I voted Remain just after 7am this morning and I hope that a majority of my fellow citizens will do likewise, but it may well be very close. 46.5m people are registered to vote including citizens of Ireland, Malta and Cyprus living in the UK or Gibraltar. The polling stations opened at 7am and close at 10pm with counting beginning immediately afterwards.

Gianlu33    920
6 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Huge day for us in the UK and I guess Europe in general as we vote in the EU referendum. I voted Remain just after 7am this morning and I hope that a majority of my fellow citizens will do likewise, but it may well be very close. 46.5m people are registered to vote including citizens of Ireland, Malta and Cyprus living in the UK or Gibraltar. The polling stations opened at 7am and close at 10pm with counting beginning immediately afterwards.

So, we can only hope for the future of our union :pope: I hope that the Remain will win

JoshMartini007    172

Early results for the EU Referendum are in. Things are quite even with England wanting to leave while Northern Ireland and Scotland wanting to stay, no results for Wales yet.

Results

JoshMartini007    172

Still early, but I have serious doubts that "stay" will pull off the comeback. Looks like the UK is leaving.

Agger    396

It does indeed sadly look like a win for leave