website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

3 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Typical local right winger, wave argentinian flags in protests because they "defend the republic" but then are the first ones that want out of the country :lol:

Im tired of this country since many years ago but dont worry, i wont go for another place, the leftist leave the country too and dont go to Cuba precisely.......

4 hours ago, Bohemia said:

I did hear about this story, tragic :cry:

How could his classmates, who are around his age, act like this? It's very sad to see that bullying starts early with certain people. Great education.

Yeah, the American education is fantastic

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

16 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

So I know that many of you probably don’t keep up on American news, but there is a truly saddening story I feel the need to share. PLEASE TAKE TIME TO READ THIS, OR NOTHING CHANGES. 

So recently in Colorado there was a 9 year old boy that committed suicide. It has come out that over the summer he told his mom he was gay, and she supported his decision as any good parent would. However, the kid felt so accepted and loved by his family that he decided to tell his classmates. His classmates responses were bullying and tuants such as, “you should kill yourself”. Unfortunately, after 4 days of this insanity, that is what Jamel Myles decided to do.

He killed himself becuase of the way people treated him. These were kids who convinced Jamel to kill himself, kids! What has my country come to, mass shooting one day, suicide the next, police brutality the day after, and then good old thoughts and prayers to wrap it up from Congress. I know that I am coming to the age where I have the power to speak out, but I find myself worried because of the terrible that have happened. 

This is forum has been a blessing for me, (finding like me, who share my passions) because I have social issues that stem from early childhood bullying just like Jamel. This issue hits me in the heart, hard. I’ve noticed before some hate speech about the LGBTQ+ community on this forum. I know it’s even forced certain members to hide themselves away, and out of discussions. Now I understand that there are many diverse cultures represented in this forum, but I ask (and demand) kindly that people think about the words they post, before they post them. You never know who many be part of a certain community, group, religion, or people. It would be unfair to them, and to the uniting force of sport, to shame these people for who they are. Sports are for everyone regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, status. etc., or at least should be. So in conclusion let us keep this forum a fun, open, exciting, excepting space for all users and sports fans to enjoy, so that there has to be no more Jamel’s.

Hear, hear, great words :yes

7 minutes ago, konig said:

I dont believe it will be very diferent in Latin America, i dont know in Europe.......

Sadly, those in power currently don’t see education, climate change, the economy, or world peace as important issues to be dealt.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Sadly, those in power currently don’t see education, climate change, the economy, or world peace as important issues to be dealt.

I very much doubt that. They might want to do it in ways other people don't agree with (like every politician ever had people disagreeing with them), sure, but I don't think they see them as unimportant issues.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

I very much doubt that. They might want to do it in ways other people don't agree with (like every politician ever had people disagreeing with them), sure, but I don't think they see them as unimportant issues.

Well, there’s been a definite rise in nationalism no matter how you look at it. We seem to be almost on the brink of falling back to absolutism. Current world leaders, besides a small majority, seem to just want to consolidate thier power over people; that is not government.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well, there’s been a definite rise in nationalism no matter how you look at it. We seem to be almost on the brink of falling back to absolutism. Current world leaders, besides a small majority, seem to just want to consolidate thier power over people; that is not government.

Oh I don't disagree. Also, I don't think that's inherently 'wrong' or 'evil', it's just not something you agree with (and me neither). The extreme version, sure, one might say is dangerous, but not every bit of nationalism is automatically extreme.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On my way walking from the train station to work I heard a nice quote on ESPN Sports Radio of all places :d 

"I don't advocate a specific political opinion, but I don't need to sign up to yours. And if I don't, that doesn't automatically make me an idiot, a racist or a homophobe." 

Not really meant to say something about this situation here, I just heard it and thought "hey, that makes me think of a ton of discussions nowadays, where people who don't agree with you simply say you're either an idiot, a neo-nazi or a racist instead of actually coming up with arguments and having a civilized discussion."

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

On my way walking from the train station to work I heard a nice quote on ESPN Sports Radio of all places :d 

"I don't advocate a specific political opinion, but I don't need to sign up to yours. And if I don't, that doesn't automatically make me an idiot, a racist or a homophobe." 

Not really meant to say something about this situation here, I just heard it and thought "hey, that makes me think of a ton of discussions nowadays, where people who don't agree with you simply say you're either an idiot, a neo-nazi or a racist instead of actually coming up with arguments and having a civilized discussion."

Nowadays you are either a Marxist or a Fascist. Nothing in between.