website statistics

Judo 2018 Discussion Thread

bestmen

Japan took 3 gold medals in day #1 of the Chinese Grand Prix, thanks to Ami Kondo (women's -48kg), Uta Abe (women's -52kg) and Joshiro Maruyama (men's -66kg)...

the remaining titles from today's action went to Kazakhstan (Yeldos Smetov, men's -60kg) and Canada (Christa Deguchi, women's -57kg)...

very disappointing performance by the few Italian judo players starting today (I'm especially upset about poor Elios Manzi's comeback after a long pause due to a bad knee injury)...

1 hour ago, phelps said:

Japan took 3 gold medals in day #1 of the Chinese Grand Prix, thanks to Ami Kondo (women's -48kg), Uta Abe (women's -52kg) and Joshiro Maruyama (men's -66kg)...

the remaining titles from today's action went to Kazakhstan (Yeldos Smetov, men's -60kg) and Canada (Christa Deguchi, women's -57kg)...

very disappointing performance by the few Italian judo players starting today (I'm especially upset about poor Elios Manzi's comeback after a long pause due to a bad knee injury)...

Deguchi is actually Japanese and decided to compete for Canada, because one would assume its easier to qualify for major events. However Canada also got second so looks to be good competition internally in Canada as well.

1 ora fa, intoronto ha scritto:

Deguchi is actually Japanese and decided to compete for Canada, because one would assume its easier to qualify for major events. However Canada also got second so looks to be good competition internally in Canada as well.

I know that...;)

however, she officially represents Canada...so, it's 3 gold for JPN and 1 for KAZ and CAN (and not 4 for JPN)...:evil:

Day #2 @ the Chinese Grand Prix

and Japan still on top of the medal table thanks to 2 more gold medals (Takeshi Sasaki, men's -81kg and Aimi Nouchi, women's -63kg)...

the other gold medals from today's action went to South Korea (An Changrim, men's -73kg) and the Netherlands (Sanne Van Dijke, women's -70kg)...

tomorrow the last 5 weight classes will be on stage...

3rd and last day @ the Chinese Grand Prix, as usual dedicated to the heaviest classes...

and Japan renewed their lead in the medal  table with 2 more Gold medals (both among the women, Ruika Sato in the -78kg and teenage wonder Akira Sone in the +78kg)...

on the men's side, instead, it was mainly a Korean day, with 2 fully successful campaigns (Gwak Dong Han, -90kg and Cho Gu Ham, -100kg)...

finally, the last of the men's event, the +100kg class, went to Mongolia (Tuvshinbayar Naidan, Olympic Gold medallist in the -100kg class in 2008 and Silver medallist in the same weight in 2012)...

so, in this weekend Japan showed their supremacy once again with 7 Gold medals, then South Korea following with 3 and Canada, Kazakhstan, Mongolia and the Netherlands all ending up with "just" 1 Gold medal each...

vor 10 Minuten schrieb phelps:

3rd and last day @ the Chinese Grand Prix, as usual dedicated to the heaviest classes...

and Japan renewed their lead in the medal  table with 2 more Gold medals (both among the women, Ruika Sato in the -78kg and teenage wonder Akira Sone in the +78kg)...

on the men's side, instead, it was mainly a Korean day, with 2 fully successful campaigns (Gwak Dong Han, -90kg and Cho Gu Ham, -100kg)...

finally, the last of the men's event, the +100kg class, went to Mongolia (Tuvshinbayar Naidan, Olympic Gold medallist in the -100kg class in 2008 and Silver medallist in the same weight in 2012)...

so, in this weekend Japan showed their supremacy once again with 7 Gold medals, then South Korea following with 3 and Canada, Kazakhstan, Mongolia and the Netherlands all ending up with "just" 1 Gold medal each...

Funny that you call Akira Sone a teenage wonder ... what would you call Uta Abe then? Baby wonder ... ? :p (Just a joke, she is only 5 days younger than Sone)

Dario Bilodid is another 3 months younger than those two, amazing times for judo, three 17 year olds on top of the world. I never had the feeling that judo was a sport for teenagers to dominate, but maybe those 3 are just generational talents all showing up at the same time, which means that we should consider ourselves lucky to witness something like that with our own eyes, although i hope that we won't see multiple weight categories on the women's side with a Riner-like dominance for years.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 ora fa, OlympicsFan ha scritto:

Funny that you call Akira Sone a teenage wonder ... what would you call Uta Abe then? Baby wonder ... ? :p (Just a joke, she is only 5 days younger than Sone)

Dario Bilodid is another 3 months younger than those two, amazing times for judo, three 17 year olds on top of the world. I never had the feeling that judo was a sport for teenagers to dominate, but maybe those 3 are just generational talents all showing up at the same time, which means that we should consider ourselves lucky to witness something like that with our own eyes, although i hope that we won't see multiple weight categories on the women's side with a Riner-like dominance for years.

:lol:

well, in the women's lightest weights it's not the first time we have some very young talents (Ryoko Tamura came up when she was only 16, just to name one of the most famous of all times)...meanwhile in the heaviest categories normally people need more time to complete their physical growth and also to earn a bit more experience to succeed (that's why Akira Sone has more "good press" and she's seen more as a "phenomenon" than her lighter collegues with the same age)...

on the other hand, I don't see Bilodid last that long in her current weight class...as a Caucasian woman, he's gonna grow up that much to force her to jump to a superior weight class (which would put her in the same category of Abe)...

and I don't see those girls dominate for an age...maybe a couple of Olympic cycles, but not more than that...

different situation, instead, is Akira Sone's...she's really a candidate to become eponymous of this age in the hevyweights (even if there's always a chance that a new younger star would eventually come up in the next few years and put her reign at risk)...

however, at the moment I don't see anybody stopping her to win Tokyo's Gold medal...then...who knows?

Edited by phelps

• 1 month later...