Jump to content

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account


Sign in to follow this  
VolleyRuller96

Weightlifting 2018 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

intoronto    474
6 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

2019 Sr. Pan American Championships are being held at the Dominican Republic, which are also a qualification competition for the 2019 Pan American Games.

 

Today :DOM won in Men's 56kg, while Mexico made 1-2 in Women's 48kg :thumbup:

 

If someone is interested in watching, this is the livestream link

Are there results  anywhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrv86    398
11 hours ago, intoronto said:

Are there results  anywhere?

Sorry, I've yet to find them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrv86    398

On the second day of Pan American Championships:

 

On Women's 53kg, :DOM collected their second gold medal, with Beatriz Piron lifting a 196kg total; :USA's Caitlin Hogan won silver with 193kg total, same weight that Vanessa Quiñonez from :COL who got bronze.

 

On Women's 58kg, :COL's  Karol Blanco win making a 212kg total, followed by Maria Alexandra Escobar from :ECU lifting the same weight, and Quisia Guicho giving :MEX another medal with 210kg total.

 

On Men's 62kg, once again :MEX made1-2 with Antonio Vazquez winning gold (and producing the best Clean & Jerk lift of the year so far with 171 kg :thumbup:) with 291 total, and Jose Lino Montes lifting 182kg for silver; :COL got bronze with a total of 281kg made by Luis Higuita.

 

On Men's 69kg, Julio Mayora from :VEN lifted a total of 325kg, beating Clarence Cummings Jr from the USA by just one kilogram; Jonathan Muñoz from :MEX completed the podium with 299 kg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrv86    398

3rd day results of the Pan American Championships:

 

On Women's 63kg, :COL made 1-2 on the podium, with Nathalia Llamosa lifting 225kg and Jackeline Heredia 224kg; it was a close competition as bronze medal went to :CUB's Marina Rodriguez with 223.

 

On Women's 69kg, :COL's Mercedes Perez won making a 234kg lift, :USA's Martha Ann Rogers got silver with a total of 229kg, and Yaneisy Merino from :CUB with 216kg finishing in 3rd.

 

On Men's 77kg, the second 1-2 of the day for :COL with Luis Montes earning gold with a 342kg lift, followed by Yony Andica with 336kg, just a kilo over Addriel La O from :CUB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
intoronto    474

Weightlifting qualification for Lima 2019 Pan American Games

 

Men:

6 quotas

:VEN

:ECU

:COL

:PER (host nation, automatically gets 6 quotas) 

4 quotas

:USA

:CUB

:MEX

:DOM 

3 quotas

:CHI

:GUA

:BRA

:PUR

2 quotas

:CRC

:URU

:ESA

:PAN

1 quota

:ARG

:CAN 

+1 WC 

 

Women

6 quotas

:COL

:ECU

:USA

:PER (host nation, automatically gets 6 quotas) 

4 quotas

:DOM 

:MEX 

:VEN 

:CUB 

3 quotas

:CHI

:ARG 

:GUA 

:CAN 

2 quotas

:NCA 

:PUR  

:CRC 

:BRA 

1 quota

:URU 

:ESA 

+1 WC 

 

Canada :wall: would have qualified a few more athletes had it decided to send more athletes to the qualifiers. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrv86    398
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Weightlifting qualification for Lima 2019 Pan American Games

 

Canada :wall: would have qualified a few more athletes had it decided to send more athletes to the qualifiers. 

 

 

I was indeed surprised that Canadian federation didn't send their best athletes to this championships... guess after Toronto 2015, they just started treating Pan Ams below the Commonwealth Games :(

Edited by mrv86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
intoronto    474
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

 

I was indeed surprised that Canadian federation didn't send their best athletes to this championships... guess after Toronto 2015, they just started treating Pan Ams below the Commonwealth Games :(

The Canadian Championships were being held at the exact same time... which are used to select the team for the Worlds. However, some of Canada's top athletes competed in DR. 

Looking at the results from 2015, its reasonable to expect three medals for Canada in Lima, even with the reduced team (13 in 2015 vs 4 in 2019). Darsigny, Santavy and Charron all would have won medals in Toronto 2015 with their pb's and by quite a distance at that, so something similar could happen in Lima.

----

It also comes down to funding. For the CWG's all or most of the weightlifters were ranked in the top 5 (ie fully funded travel). For Pan Ams only the top 2 in each gender (and they must also have 95% of the world champions total) to be funded. 

Edited by intoronto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrv86    398
18 hours ago, intoronto said:

The Canadian Championships were being held at the exact same time... which are used to select the team for the Worlds. However, some of Canada's top athletes competed in DR. 

Looking at the results from 2015, its reasonable to expect three medals for Canada in Lima, even with the reduced team (13 in 2015 vs 4 in 2019). Darsigny, Santavy and Charron all would have won medals in Toronto 2015 with their pb's and by quite a distance at that, so something similar could happen in Lima.

----

It also comes down to funding. For the CWG's all or most of the weightlifters were ranked in the top 5 (ie fully funded travel). For Pan Ams only the top 2 in each gender (and they must also have 95% of the world champions total) to be funded. 

 

I didn't knew about the Nationals and funding factors... still, hard to miss other opportunities to in a multi-sport event :( but again, every federation and NOC have their priorities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heywoodu    3,382
24 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Egypt’s weightlifting medal contenders could miss Tokyo 2020 because of teenage doping cases

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1066516/egypts-weightlifting-medal-contenders-could-miss-tokyo-2020-because-of-teenage-doping-cases

 

I'm having a hard time finding out what exactly is the news here...these cases were known, right? And if so, it's not new that Egypt is in danger in terms of 2020?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

 

I'm having a hard time finding out what exactly is the news here...these cases were known, right? And if so, it's not new that Egypt is in danger in terms of 2020?

Yes it is of 2017.No ban was imposed as such. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×