website statistics

Rhythmic Gymnastics 2018 Discussion Thread

thiago_simoes

Linoy Ashram :ISR  wins Guadalajara Challenge Cup All Around, surpassing Russia's Soldatova and Arina Averina.

Italy's Milena Baldassari came in 4th place :yes

Sadly, Filiorianu :ROU got injured yesterday and couldn't compete today :(

• 2 weeks later...

The Portimão Challenge Cup is over and we got some nice results. Finland got three medals, Azerbaijan finally got a gold medal, and China had great performances. Mexico surprisingly finished fourth in the group all-around, and they qualified in third for both finals, but ultimately finished out of medal contention. Brazil finished fourth twice in the group finals, which is kind of bittersweet. And we finally qualified an individual gymnast for a final, and she also placed fourth. This only goes on to show how hard it is to win a medal, any medal, in any of the stages of the World Cup circuit. Respect for all of these gymnasts.

Still, the level of the competition was pretty low overall, and I don't really think Portimão should even be considered for the World Cup circuit anymore. I mean, it's nice to have a stage where gymnasts from smaller nations get a chance to reach the finals, but then again this is a World Cup event, so the level must be high. Anyway, I could swear Berlin was the next stage (it was scheduled to take place in less than two weeks), but it looks like the it was axed and the next stage will be only in August. Ugh. It's understandable since we have one more Grand Prix stage in May, and the Europeans in June, but July will be an empty month and Berlin could have been a valid option.

21 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Mexico surprisingly finished fourth in the group all-around, and they qualified in third for both finals, but ultimately finished out of medal contention.

i had the opportunity to watch the apparatus finals and thought they looked pretty good, maybe to consider them solid podium contenders for Lima 2019. But I suspect the lack of participation also had to do with the scores.

@thiago_simoes did you watch the performance of the Mexican groups? If so, I'd like to read your comments.

16 horas atrás, mrv86 disse:

i had the opportunity to watch the apparatus finals and thought they looked pretty good, maybe to consider them solid podium contenders for Lima 2019. But I suspect the lack of participation also had to do with the scores.

@thiago_simoes did you watch the performance of the Mexican groups? If so, I'd like to read your comments.

Compared to the previous stages, this one was a lot more predictable. Individual finals were just okay, nothing spectacular. Group finals were pretty nice with good routines overall. Mexico scored above 17 two days in a row, which is HUGE for a non-European nation. The thing is: next year the group routines will change and all nations will basically have to start from zero. It's impossible to predict which nation will get medals at the major events, but Mexico is on the right track. Absolutely amazing routines, especially the one with balls and ropes.

Edited by thiago_simoes