website statistics

Rhythmic Gymnastics 2018 Discussion Thread

thiago_simoes

19 horas atrás, Gianlu33 disse:

Awful and strage WC in Uzbekistan.. like every year. At last we have a good news, :EST Estonia won for the 1st time a medal in the FIG World Cup Series! 

I've seen a report in Italian media mentioning that some big names were missing (especially Japan, Italy and Bulgaria in the group competition), but you cannot seriously say this stage was awful. Yes, Estonia was lucky that Israel fumbled their ropes and balls routine during qualification, but overall what Estonia achieved is historic: 35 years of competition and Estonia is only the 26th nation to achieve a medal result at the World Cup series.

And the finals were a mixed bag, but still mostly good. I mean, Estonia scored a very respectable 18.7 in the 5 hoops final and they still did not manage to make it to the podium. Some finals could have been better (clubs, ribbon and ropes/balls), but hoop final was insane (18.950 for a bronze medal? whaaaat???). I'm confident this will not be remembered as the worst stage this year. I expect a much lower level in Portimão and even Berlin.

43 minuti fa, thiago_simoes ha scritto:

I've seen a report in Italian media mentioning that some big names were missing (especially Japan, Italy and Bulgaria in the group competition), but you cannot seriously say this stage was awful. Yes, Estonia was lucky that Israel fumbled their ropes and balls routine during qualification, but overall what Estonia achieved is historic: 35 years of competition and Estonia is only the 26th nation to achieve a medal result at the World Cup series.

And the finals were a mixed bag, but still mostly good. I mean, Estonia scored a very respectable 18.7 in the 5 hoops final and they still did not manage to make it to the podium. Some finals could have been better (clubs, ribbon and ropes/balls), but hoop final was insane (18.950 for a bronze medal? whaaaat???). I'm confident this will not be remembered as the worst stage this year. I expect a much lower level in Portimão and even Berlin.

Sorry, but i think that in Uzbekistan the score can not be compared with the other stages... it seems that thet have another score system, every year the same problems.. I don't have idea if you watched the routines, but some score (especially for gymnasts not first level) was very very strange

1 hora atrás, Gianlu33 disse:

Sorry, but i think that in Uzbekistan the score can not be compared with the other stages... it seems that thet have another score system, every year the same problems.. I don't have idea if you watched the routines, but some score (especially for gymnasts not first level) was very very strange

Scoring is a problem in other stages as well. Guadalajara always gives out huge scores even for smaller nations. Also, hosting the event gives a huge advantage to some nations. Italy got zero gold medals in Sofia, but three gold medals in Pesaro. I'm not saying the group did not deserve the medals, but there is an undeniable boost in scores for the home nation. 

My impressions about the World Cup series so far:

1) Estonia winning a medal was both a total shock and a MUCH needed breath of fresh air. After an uneventful series of competitions in 2017, it's nice to have a new nation shaking things up a little bit in 2018.

2) Italy has the best group routines this year. Russia and Bulgaria are close, but Italy has it all in both routines. Still, I'm disappointed. Belarus, Israel, Ukraine and Japan are somewhat unstable, and after two disastrous routines in Baku, Estonia is nothing but a distant dark horse. Also, I miss Bulgaria's gorgeous 5 hoops routine from last year. This year their routine is just meh.

3) Russia seems to be unsure about what to do with their individual gymnasts. Soldatova is the best individual gymnast this year so far, but we all know she is a headcase and she could snap any moment. Look at what happened to Selezneva today...  She just lost it under pressure, and I'm afraid the same thing might happen to Soldatova. The European Championships are going to be exciting to watch, especially if Ashram hits her routines. Also, last year there was a rumor about Selezneva changing nationality, and she was supposed to compete for Luxembourg. After what she did today, I guess this might become true, after all. Viner will take a loooot of convincing before she lists Selezneva for another competition (if ever) again.

4) It seems to me that scoring is inconsistent at best. These are official FIG competitions. Judges must get it together before they release the scores.

6th place in clubs with 16.500 in her 1st individual final, great result for :ROU Filorianu! :yes

Nice. Let's see what she can do at the World Challenge Cup series.

Now, proof that these scores are completely wild and all over the place: Italy scored 22.100 on day 1, and now only 17.500. This is crazy. Shame on the judges.

1 ora fa, thiago_simoes ha scritto:

Nice. Let's see what she can do at the World Challenge Cup series.

Now, proof that these scores are completely wild and all over the place: Italy scored 22.100 on day 1, and now only 17.500. This is crazy. Shame on the judges.

Not any shame, just one of the wrost italian routine that never see... a lot of mistake, some lost, wrong trajectories... Fortunately for us this day is over

Not any shame, just one of the wrost italian routine that never see... a lot of mistake, some lost, wrong trajectories... Fortunately for us this day is over

Even with some minor (or even a couple major) mistakes, a four-points difference seems to be a lot. Either those judges were TOO harsh today (and too generous on day one), or they really don't know what they are doing.