website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2018 Discussion Thread

thiago_simoes

5 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Peru gymnasts are not very good, it's a shame. I think we'll see a lot of bad results coming from the host nation at next year Pan American Games.

Can already see Argentina women's field hockey team winning 30+ against them.... I shudder to think what will happen in handball/women's rugby as well. 

Also it looks like DR competed in all events, some gymnast got only 5 points on an apparatus. Shame they will likely steal a spot away from either Bermuda/Cayman Islands

Edited by intoronto

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

Can already see Argentina women's field hockey team winning 30+ against them.... I shudder to think what will happen in handball as well. 

Also it looks like DR competed in all events, some gymnast got only 5 points on an apparatus. Shame they will likely steal a spot away from either Bermuda/Cayman Islands

Well, Trinidad and Tobago didn't show either, so I think both NOC's will compete after all.

Colombia not qualifying a team is the biggest shock of the competition so far. Kind of a bad day for Brazil, despite Flávia being amazing on beam and floor, and the team finishing second. Canada seemed to be underscored, especially on floor. Mexico was a big surprise because I expected virtually nothing from them, and they walked away with a bronze medal on bars and a nice chance to earn a team medal tomorrow (though I'd bet in Canada for the bronze medal). Kudos to Argentina (fourth place is an spectacular result), Puerto Rico (they qualified a full team, yay) and Costa Rica (very good gymnasts). 

Medalists:

image.png.5364b3d75a241f2d1767e889583373ff.png

The men's team final was surprising. The US youngsters won gold with solid routines, and no one expected that because this was the C team from the United States. For them to walk away with the gold medal ahead of the solid team from Cuba and the experienced team from Colombia was a big upset. Speaking of which, Colombia moved from sixth place from qualifications to the silver medal position. Brazil won bronze even after a disastrous rotation on pommel horse. I expected bad results on this apparatus, but not THIS bad. Lucas Bittencourt  scored 9.6 (this is pretty much like receiving an F in gymnastics) and another Brazilian gymnast fell from the apparatus. All of the other routines were rock solid, which is good for us, but they need to improve their scores on the pommel horse as soon as possible. Cuba had a very disappointing finish, placing fourth, after placing first in qualifications. They had to count fall and a big hop in their last routine, and that made them lose the bronze medal by 0.134. Poor guys.

As expected, the US dominated the women's team final, even with a B team. The real surprise was Brazil posting a big score. We were just a couple of tenths below the score Russia achieved at the European Championships, and that means we might even challenge for a medal at Worlds (one can dream, I guess). Mexico got bronze, but we didn't get to see how the girls performed because the broadcast mostly showed Brazil and the US. Overall, i'm very pleased with the results. This might very well have been the best ever performance by a Brazilian team in international competition. Not even our 5th place at the 2007 Worlds or our 1st place at the 2016 Olympics Test Event had such brilliant performances.

I'm also surprised because we had live streaming during the whole meet. This happened in 2014, but in 2016 and 2017 there was virtually no coverage at all of the Pan American Championships, so I was a little worried that we would not get to see the performances. I'm hopeful for full coverage at the Pan American Games now.

Edited by thiago_simoes