website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2018 Discussion Thread

thiago_simoes

Em 9/11/2018 at 22:44, intoronto disse:

Pan Am Entry lists: https://thegymter.net/2018/09/11/pan-ams-begin-this-week-in-lima/

Sad for Aruba :(

All countries competing in the men's/women's competitions will qualify for 2019 Pan Am Games.

Congrats :CAY for qualifying first athlete!
@thiago_simoes

Nice! Thank you!

One gymnast from the Cayman Islands competed at the 2015 Pan American Games. She even made it to the all-around final! 

50 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Nice! Thank you!

One gymnast from the Cayman Islands competed at the 2015 Pan American Games. She even made it to the all-around final! 

She also trained in Toronto and coach is also from Toronto and I got to say hello to her after the all around final as she was in demand from some of the media 

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

Nice! Thank you!

Any predictions based on the entry lists? I think Mexico is in danger of not qualifying a full team, especially in the men's side.

10 horas atrás, mrv86 disse:

Any predictions based on the entry lists? I think Mexico is in danger of not qualifying a full team, especially in the men's side.

My predictions for the top 8 teams:

Men's teams: USA, Colombia, Canada, Brazil, Cuba, Argentina, Peru and the eight team is hard to predict... maybe Puerto Rico or Mexico.
Women's teams: USA, Brazil, Canada, Argentina, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Colombia and Cuba.

Also, I strongly believe Dominican Republic will not count as a women's team. There must be 4 to 5 gymnasts to compose a team according to FIG's rules.

Men's teams: USA, Colombia, Canada, Brazil, Cuba, Argentina, Peru and the eight team is hard to predict... maybe Puerto Rico or Mexico.
Women's teams: USA, Brazil, Canada, Argentina, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Colombia and Cuba.

Also, I strongly believe Dominican Republic will not count as a women's team. There must be 4 to 5 gymnasts to compose a team according to FIG's rules.

Thanks for clarifying that up. But slots 9 to 13 say "team event" for 2019 Pan Am Games, but only award 2 slots per country, so it's a bit confusing.

7 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

"In the team finals, three gymnasts compete in each event with all scores counting."

1 hora atrás, intoronto disse:

"In the team finals, three gymnasts compete in each event with all scores counting."

Yes, but I remember that Brazil sent three gymnasts to the London Olympics and they counted as individuals. Even if all of them wanted to perform on all apparatus, they would still count as individuals. At the Olympics, a team consists of 5 gymnasts, 4 of them perform on a given apparatus in qualifications, and the 3 best score counts (5-4-3 format). It looks like the organization decided to stretch things a bit for the Pan Ams. Uruguay only performed with three male gymnasts and they did indeed count their scores as a team score. So, it means that the Dominican Republic will also count as a team.

Edited by thiago_simoes

Yes, but I remember that Brazil sent three gymnasts to the London Olympics and they counted as individuals. Even if all of them wanted to perform on all apparatus, they would still count as individuals. At the Olympics, a team consists of 5 gymnasts, 4 of them perform on a given apparatus in qualifications, and the 3 best score counts (5-4-3 format). It looks like the organization decided to stretch things a bit for the Pan Ams. Uruguay only performed with three male gymnasts and they did indeed count their scores as a team score. So, it means that the Dominican Republic will also count as a team.

Which is sad because now one of the smaller countries will lose a quota :(

What if one of the three DR ladies do not compete in an event. DO they lose team status?

45 minutos atrás, intoronto disse:

Which is sad because now one of the smaller countries will lose a quota :(

What if one of the three DR ladies do not compete in an event. DO they lose team status?

Good question. I believe they should perform on all apparatus (12 routines) to even be considered a team. This is why Uruguay's men's team performed on all apparatus, despite scoring abysmally low on the pommel horse.

Sad news: Haley de Jong got injured and there's no time to send an alternate gymnast to compete, so Canada will need to perform with only four girls. I'm completely sure there's no way this will hurt their chances of qualifying a full team for the Pan American Games, but I'm not so sure about a medal anymore. On an absolutely brilliant day, Argentina could challenge for the bronze medal now.

17 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Good question. I believe they should perform on all apparatus (12 routines) to even be considered a team. This is why Uruguay's men's team performed on all apparatus, despite scoring abysmally low on the pommel horse.

Sad news: Haley de Jong got injured and there's no time to send an alternate gymnast to compete, so Canada will need to perform with only four girls. I'm completely sure there's no way this will hurt their chances of qualifying a full team for the Pan American Games, but I'm not so sure about a medal anymore. On an absolutely brilliant day, Argentina could challenge for the bronze medal now.

And iirc Ana will only compete in 2 events.