website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2018 Discussion Thread

thiago_simoes

Preview

On the women's side, Simone Biles (USA) will return to competition in time for the World Championships in late October, and she will be a very important asset for team USA since their performance at the last World Championships was not nearly as dominant as before. Larissa Iordache announced that she will not take part at the World Championships in order not to hurt her chances to qualify for the Olympics (there are some really stupid rules for olympic qualification in gymnastics). The top 3 nations at the team event will qualify for the Olympics, and there is a huge chance that the US, Russia and China will be the top 3 countries. Exciting new senior gymnasts this year are Gabby Perea (USA), Maile O’Keefe (USA), Emma Malabuyo (USA), Adeline Kenlin (USA), Ana Padurariu (CAN), Martina Dominici (ARG), Fabiane Valentin (BRA), Chen Yile (CHN), Li Qi (CHN), Denisa Golgota (ROU), Valeria Saifulina (RUS), Angelina Simakova (RUS), Varvara Zubova (RUS), Mana Oguchi (JPN), Ayaka Sakaguchi (JPN) and Nora Feher (HUN). Also worth noting is that Paraguay will finally have a senior gymnast in like forever (over 20 years, I guess), named Carla Torres.

On the men's side, I do not know much, but I expect Japan to keep their unquestionable dominance, with China right after them. As on the women's side, the top 3 nations at the World Championships will qualify a full team for the Olympics. The third spot for the men's team event seems to be quite open at the moment. Russia, Great Britain, the United States, Germany and Ukraine could challenge for a medal. Brazil, Switzerland and the Netherlands are dark horses. Looking forward to Italy, France, Canada and Spain improving their program. In 2015, 2016 and 2017 we had huge surprises in individual events, so here is hoping for more surprises this year. I'm not familiar with new senior gymnasts, but on the men's side new seniors do not really challenge for medals internationally. Male gymnasts usually fight for medals only at their early twenties, while new seniors will be 18 this year.

Edited by thiago_simoes

vor 3 Stunden schrieb thiago_simoes:

Preview

On the women's side, Simone Biles (USA) will return to competition in time for the World Championships in late October, and she will be a very important asset for team USA since their performance at the last World Championships was not nearly as dominant as before. Larissa Iordache announced that she will not take part at the World Championships in order not to hurt her chances to qualify for the Olympics (there are some really stupid rules for olympic qualification in gymnastics). The top 3 nations at the team event will qualify for the Olympics, and there is a huge chance that the US, Russia and China will be the top 3 countries. Exciting new senior gymnasts this year are Gabby Perea (USA), Maile O’Keefe (USA), Emma Malabuyo (USA), Adeline Kenlin (USA), Ana Padurariu (CAN), Martina Dominici (ARG), Fabiane Valentin (BRA), Chen Yile (CHN), Li Qi (CHN), Denisa Golgota (ROU), Valeria Saifulina (RUS), Angelina Simakova (RUS), Varvara Zubova (RUS), Mana Oguchi (JPN), Ayaka Sakaguchi (JPN) and Nora Feher (HUN). Also worth noting is that Paraguay will finally have a senior gymnast in like forever (over 20 years, I guess), named Carla Torres.

On the men's side, I do not know much, but I expect Japan to keep their unquestionable dominance, with China right after them. As on the women's side, the top 3 nations at the World Championships will qualify a full team for the Olympics. The third spot for the men's team event seems to be quite open at the moment. Russia, Great Britain, the United States, Germany and Ukraine could challenge for a medal. Brazil, Switzerland and the Netherlands are dark horses. Looking forward to Italy, France, Canada and Spain improving their program. In 2015, 2016 and 2017 we had huge surprises in individual events, so here is hoping for more surprises this year. I'm not familiar with new senior gymnasts, but on the men's side new seniors do not really challenge for medals internationally. Male gymnasts usually fight for medals only at their early twenties, while new seniors will be 18 this year.

Did i miss something or why are you mentioning Germany as a contender on the mens side? In my opinion even Switzerland is more likely to take the third place, although i think its something like GB 60%, Russia 25%, USA 14,9%, Rest 0,1%.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Konstantin Kuzovkov won Georgia's first ever medal at the World Cup circuit. Funny thing is he is originally from Russia.

A gymnast from Saudi Arabia finished in fourth place on vault and was denied what would have been the nation's first ever medal at the World Cup series as well. The top 3 athletes (including Kuzovkov) were a bit overscored while the Saudi athlete was severely underscored. Sometimes I feel like this sport is not fair at all.

• 1 month later...