Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Henry_Leon

Football 2018 Discussion Thread

De_Gambassi    208
il y a 11 minutes, kungshamra71 a déclaré:

here are the League A groups for the UEFA Nations League

SpAqk4AnSDKfiU6MO0NBhA.png

I think that, apart from group 2, we can expect some amazing games!

I didn't think much of this new competition up to today, but, it actually looks quite exciting ! The final four will be a nice throwback of the early euro championships too.

heywoodu    2,239
7 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

I didn't think much of this new competition up to today, but, it actually looks quite exciting ! The final four will be a nice throwback of the early euro championships too.

I know there are 4 tickets for Euro 2020, they go to the winners of the 4 divisions? So basically this whole division A (with all top nations) get's one ticket, just like division D (with all 'worst' nations)? That's just stupid :d 

heywoodu    2,239

Wait, no, the four group winners of League A will go to the Nations League Finals, so I suppose those 4 will get the Euro 2020 tickets?

De_Gambassi    208
il y a 1 minute, heywoodu a déclaré:

I know there are 4 tickets for Euro 2020, they go to the winners of the 4 divisions? So basically this whole division A (with all top nations) get's one ticket, just like division D (with all 'worst' nations)? That's just stupid :d 

Who cares about euro qualification anyway ? With 24 teams, it's a given for top teams nowadays. Oh wait... :p

Seriously, I do think this new competition could stand on its two feet and become a new genune international competition to cheer for.

• Haha 1

heywoodu    2,239
Just now, De_Gambassi said:

Who cares about euro qualification anyway ? With 24 teams, it's a given for top teams nowadays. Oh wait... :p

Seriously, I do think this new competition could stand on its two feet and become a new genune international competition to cheer for.

:d 

Yes I think so too, but I'm trying to figure out how a nation can qualify for Euro 2020 from the 2018/19 Nations League. I know there are 4 available tickets, but not sure who gets them:

Option 1 --> The four League winners (so one from League A, B, C and D)

Option 2 --> The four teams in the Nations League Finals (meaning four League A teams)

Option 2 would by far make more sense, but I'm not sure. 

heywoodu    2,239
3 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Not quite, as it will serve as a second chance for non allready qualified nations.

The pathway is kind of complicated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs

Yes, but isn't the Nations League finished before the normal qualifying is finished? In other words, no nation is qualified yet during the Nations League Finals? 

And even with that Wikipedia page I still don't know the main thing: which 4 nations will get the 4 available tickets for Euro 2020 via the Nations League? :d 

De_Gambassi    208
il y a 1 minute, heywoodu a déclaré:

Yes, but isn't the Nations League finished before the normal qualifying is finished? In other words, no nation is qualified yet during the Nations League Finals? 

And even with that Wikipedia page I still don't know the main thing: which 4 nations will get the 4 available tickets for Euro 2020 via the Nations League? :d 

If I get it right, we would only know the teams entering these play off matches only once the regular qualification phase is over, which is a year after the Nations League will be over :toast:

• Haha 1

heywoodu    2,239
1 minute ago, De_Gambassi said:

If I get it right, we would only know the teams entering these play off matches only once the regular qualification phase is over, which is a year after the Nations League will be over :toast:

Wonderful idea! 

kungshamra71    129

Yep, just checked:

"The top four ranked teams that do not qualify for UEFA EURO 2020 will enter a play-off in March 2020, with one finals place on offer."

Which is good for those big teams that surprisely dont qualify for the final phase (like Italy and Netherlands this year), they get a second chance 

vlad    42
La 1/23/2018 la 12:54, heywoodu a spus:

This is quite the suprise, Brisbane Roar being kicked out by a Philipines team. Bookmakers gave them odds of 30+ to win :d 

UqGiYPC.png

I wanted to bet 50 euros on Ceres, but I didn't....I'm so stupid:facepalm:

heywoodu    2,239
1 minute ago, vlad said:

I wanted to bet 50 euros on Ceres, but I didn't....I'm so stupid:facepalm:

Because you liked the name? Or what kind of inside info did you have? :p