Jump to content

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account


Henry_Leon

Football 2018 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

Olympian1010    55
44 minutes ago, bestmen said:

so all the voters for Morocco will be punished by Trump :cry:

He’s “taking names”, but honestly we’re worst friends with Mexico and Canada currently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hckosice    1,434
1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

The Dutch federation said they'd vote for Morocco as well, I'm expecting something 'obscure' having happened behind the scenes there as well to win this vote that a ton of people were kind of angry about :p 

 

Yeah, this definitely will not help to makes Netherlands second :( not smart move dudes...

 

Btw for SVK, it wasn´t a surprise at all..the "obscure" thing was known already before our federations lords left the airport, they literally said to our medias : "We will vote for Morocco and basta !" don´t search why  :lol:https://sport.aktuality.sk/c/341450/slovensko-bude-hlasovat-za-maroko-ako-organizatora-ms-2026/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bestmen    703
Posted (edited)

Geert Wilders  voted Morocco just to show to  people that he is not raciste  ^ ^

Edited by bestmen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heywoodu    2,372
1 minute ago, bestmen said:

Geert Wilders  voted Morocco just to show to  people that he is not raciste  ^ ^

Geert Wilders will vote for Morocco the day Antarctica does not mess with TISC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nate River    134
1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I really wanted Morocco to win, I hate smaller countries are basically blacklisted from hosting major sporting events. Morocco could have done it for sure, and if FIFA was really worried about scandals or controversy, then why did they give Russia the World Cup. 

I mean Qatar is hosting 2022...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Olympian1010    55
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Nate River said:

I mean Qatar is hosting 2022...

But Qatar punches above its size, they have scores of oil money and western backing.

However, they are still a small country and I’m glad to see them land the 2022 World Cup and 2019 World Athletics Championships 

Edited by Olympian1010
Optimism

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I really wanted Morocco to win, I hate smaller countries are basically blacklisted from hosting major sporting events. Morocco could have done it for sure, and if FIFA was really worried about scandals or controversy, then why did they give Russia the World Cup. 

 

I'm sorry but no, more billions of dollars in spending, more white elephant stadiums, more controversy, would they put the money in? Sure, but why? you don't have enough unused stadiums from South Africa? you will have plenty from russia, qatar.

 

World Cup (and olympics) should be in places with proven sports culture, so yes, smaller countries will be blacklisted but it will curb spending that can shut that smaller country down.

 

FIFA (and IOC) should have a list of approved locations where their travelling carnival can go to (you wont get white elephants in England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Brazil)

 

This insane spending on events need to stop just to show who's bigger

 

 

I see you are from L.A like me (where from btw?) We are very fortunate to live in a place with amazing sports infrastructure that no other place really have, let's enjoy what we have and bask in the glory of the upcoming sport goodness coming to USA

Edited by Maxim Fastovsky
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Olympian1010    55
58 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

 

I'm sorry but no, more billions of dollars in spending, more white elephant stadiums, more controversy, would they put the money in? Sure, but why? you don't have enough unused stadiums from South Africa? you will have plenty from russia, qatar.

 

World Cup (and olympics) should be in places with proven sports culture, so yes, smaller countries will be blacklisted but it will curb spending that can shut that smaller country down.

 

FIFA (and IOC) should have a list of approved locations where their travelling carnival can go to (you wont get white elephants in England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Brazil)

 

This insane spending on events need to stop just to show who's bigger

 

 

I see you are from L.A like me (where from btw?) We are very fortunate to live in a place with amazing sports infrastructure that no other place really have, let's enjoy what we have and bask in the glory of the upcoming sport goodness coming to USA

I realize that white elephants are a concern, but I Morocco would’ve used the stadiums. I think part of the issue is the insane demands sports federations put on host cities. Huge stadiums are awesome, but not necessarily needed. I also think that joint bids aren’t a bad thing. I think the Olympics and other major events should work on a rotating system. Every Olympiad should be in a different continent, and the countries on that continent are responsible for figuring out a hosting plan, preferably shared between multiple countries, and continents should have the opportunity to skip an Olympiad if they feel unable to host it. But I do agree with many the points you make, especially concerning postering, and I like that LA is currently sports paradise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I realize that white elephants are a concern, but I Morocco would’ve used the stadiums. I think part of the issue is the insane demands sports federations put on host cities. Huge stadiums are awesome, but not necessarily needed. I also think that joint bids aren’t a bad thing. I think the Olympics and other major events should work on a rotating system. Every Olympiad should be in a different continent, and the countries on that continent are responsible for figuring out a hosting plan, preferably shared between multiple countries, and continents should have the opportunity to skip an Olympiad if they feel unable to host it. But I do agree with many the points you make, especially concerning postering, and I like that LA is currently sports paradise.

 

NFL Coming back with 2 great teams (Chargers season ticket holder right here), new Soccer stadium, Lakers on the rise again, World Cup, OLYMPICS (with plenty of events coming up as tests) , I LOVE L.A

 

But i do agree that things have to be done together, not just one city, kinda like what stockholm 2026 doing with sigulda, to not build a sledding track, it will be harder on fans, but easier on economy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dragon    207

Maybe with 48 teams in the World Cup we could have more unusual tournaments.

Maybe half the tournament in Spain, the other half in Morocco but the final in Paris?

Or half in Argentina, half in Colombia, final in Sao Paolo?

Half in India, half in China, final in Hong Kong?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heywoodu    2,372
20 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Maybe with 48 teams in the World Cup we could have more unusual tournaments.

Maybe half the tournament in Spain, the other half in Morocco but the final in Paris?

Or half in Argentina, half in Colombia, final in Sao Paolo?

Half in India, half in China, final in Hong Kong?

I'm going for a plan with two matches being played at the exact same moment, but still on different dates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×