Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Dolby

Field Hockey 2018 Discussion Thread

mrv86    334

First Event of World Hockey Series starts today in Salamanca, Mexico.

It features 5 teams in both men's and women's competition, with Canada being favorite in the first and USA in the second one to advance to the next round. The only "contender" in both tournaments will be the host teams, although they will need some luck to join their rivals in the next stage.

Personally, I would be happy if Mexican squads manage to concede 4 or less goals against the favorites and destroy the remaining opponents by at least that margin, in order for them to have some chance to qualify to 2019 Pan American Games.

For those interested here's livestream of the tournament.

NaBUru38    18

I don't think that Mexico can beat either Canada or the United States in either men's or women's tournament.

mrv86    334
2 hours ago, NaBUru38 said:

I don't think that Mexico can beat either Canada or the United States in either men's or women's tournament.

Of course no one is expecting that... my best scenario was Mexican teams avoiding a total disaster... btw women's game against Canada is on the second quarter and already the locals are losing 4-0 :cry:

Livestream if anyone is interested

• Like 1

Vojthas    52

A little bit to look in the future - Poland's women team will participate in one of the finals - two Polish newspapers wrote about their expected start in Februay 2019 in "II round of World League". As you can see, this sport is not very popular in Poland, even journalist from the most hockey powerful region don't know a lot about international competitions ;)

mrv86    334

And incredibly, Mexico men's team managed to tie with USA 5-5 :clap:... it was a really intense game, which ended with a downpour included.

It will all come to goal difference, with Mexico having a two goal advantage.

Vojthas    52

@mrv86 Do you know, how many teams qualifies to the Finals from the Salamanca tournament?

mrv86    334
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Vojthas said:

@mrv86 Do you know, how many teams qualifies to the Finals from the Salamanca tournament?

If I understood correctly, only the winners gained direct qualification: those are :CAN in women and :USA in men.

Mexican teams having finished in second will have to wait until all other tournaments finish to be completed and see if their ranking is enough to advance to next round.

Correction @Vojthas, it seems the first two were given spots, after I found this article today.

Edited by mrv86